Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

"black" intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Default "black" intercoolers

Saw some black ebay intercoolers. Naturally the 1st thing that comes to mind is that its efficiency may be compromised due to the paint/coating. But how much a negative impact can the coloring possibly have?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lightly sprayed flat black on the intercooler on my turbo rat, IAT's didn't change.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know if there is any proof for this but I have heard in the past that powder coating with a wrinkle finish added more surface area for heat to escape from making the intercooler more efficient.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by code4
I lightly sprayed flat black on the intercooler on my turbo rat, IAT's didn't change.
I did this on my ta, on just one side.. took it for a ride in AZ 105 degree heat saw the same iat's..
Old 01-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If black is so bad, why is every single copper core radiator I have ever seen/had rebuilt painted black?
Old 01-30-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by code4

We'll, there you go
Old 01-31-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Only way a black intercooler will hinder you is if you have your car parked in direct sunlight and the sun heats it up considerably. Otherwise, it great having a stealth mode turbo car.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hi Volume
Only way a black intercooler will hinder you is if you have your car parked in direct sunlight and the sun heats it up considerably. Otherwise, it great having a stealth mode turbo car.
Given an intercooler's job is to dissipate heat into the surrounding air, it wouldn't take long to bring the temp back down to normal operating temperature. I'd say probably 10 seconds of driving.

If you've ever opened up an intercooler or ripped one apart, you'd be amazed at the surface area inside the thing. A coat of paint on the surface isn't going to affect performance in the least bit anyways. Paint conducts heat too and a thin layer isn't exactly a great insulator. Just don't cake paint inside the fins to the point that no air can pass through

Most people who go crazy when someone paints an intercooler have little to no knowledge of thermodynamics.

Originally Posted by eviltwin_1987
I don't know if there is any proof for this but I have heard in the past that powder coating with a wrinkle finish added more surface area for heat to escape from making the intercooler more efficient.
Unlikely, as the end tanks have very little surface area compared to the interior of the fins. Wrinkle finish wouldn't add much surface area and powder coat is a thick coating of insulating plastic compared to paint, which tends to be thinner.

This is why it doesn't matter that some radiators and intercoolers have plastic end tanks. The fins do the vast majority of thermal transfer. (probably more than 99%)

Last edited by killernoodle; 01-31-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm probably going to black out my intercooler when I get my turbo on.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wink

cooling doesn't accure on the face of the intercooler,cooling happens as the air pass's thru the fins...Study many years ago with the GN's proved paint is not all bad.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys - looks like I'm going black
Old 01-31-2012, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
Saw some black ebay intercoolers. Naturally the 1st thing that comes to mind is that its efficiency may be compromised due to the paint/coating. But how much a negative impact can the coloring possibly have?
You should inquire as to whether it's actual paint/powder coat or a thermal dispersant coating. If it is indeed paint or powder coat they may have compromised the heat exchanging capabilities of the intercooler.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmech211
You should inquire as to whether it's actual paint/powder coat or a thermal dispersant coating. If it is indeed paint or powder coat they may have compromised the heat exchanging capabilities of the intercooler.
Did you read any of the other posts before writing yours???
What do you have to back statement up with? Any proof?
What percentage of loss are you suggesting as well?

Reason I ask is because no else seems to think its an issue and some have done testing themselves (if you read the others posts, you would have seen this).
Old 02-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
Did you read any of the other posts before writing yours???
What do you have to back statement up with? Any proof?
What percentage of loss are you suggesting as well?

Reason I ask is because no else seems to think its an issue and some have done testing themselves (if you read the others posts, you would have seen this).
Simply put, by design an intercooler with good airflow through it has a contribution of radiant heat that's extremely small, compared to its conduction and convection properties. Add insulating black paint and you can effectively hamper the conduction of heat from intercooler to air in favor of increasing radiation (think of a radiator style house furnace).

The reason why most folks would see negligible change in their IAT's is because they're simply not cycling the intercooler with enough heat to actually see any drastic changes either way.

As far as a percentage loss, well, that'll be difficult to determine in such a broad spectrum, under variable conditions. However, the radiation constant of a black body is 5.67 and aluminum/copper around 0.28.

All in all, the idea is to transfer heat from your charge air via conduction into the intercooler and pass it on via convection from the airflow through it. Not to essentially turn the intercooler into one huge radiator, as in the example of the house furnace above.

You act as though I gave the OP bad advice. But hey, the road to hell is paved with good intentions, what can I say?
Old 02-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Banned

[Note]
-Leave intercooler UN-painted.

-Dictated, not read.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

I feel as though the intercooler will do its job as long as the air can flow through its fins.

For example Subaru's have mounted their intercoolers square on top of their engine's...they work very well at doing their job.

Could more power be made by converting to a front mount? Probably...

I fell as though the intercooler will be doing most of its work while the car is in motion...so plenty of air will be flowing through it.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 06-18-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

you saw that too . Im very tempted to paint both my procharger intercoolers
Old 06-18-2014, 11:46 AM
8 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
Thanks guys - looks like I'm going black
once you do youll never go back :p
Old 06-19-2014, 03:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slow67
If black is so bad, why is every single copper core radiator I have ever seen/had rebuilt painted black?
Because copper reacts with air to form a green patina. Ever noticed the green pennies in your pocket?

Quick Reply: "black" intercoolers