Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anybody ever used these ebay rockers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default has anybody ever used these ebay rockers.

I was on ebay today and saw thesehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-LS2-PREMIUM-GOLD-1-75-RATIO-ROLLER-ROCKER-ARMS-/290579092491?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &vxp=mtr&hash=item43a7dd140b I was wanting to do do a trunion upgrade but came across these and it got me thinking if not I may have to be a guinea pig unless some has had bad experience with these.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well you know you are setting yourself up for the blanket statement - "everything on ebay is junk", and "you get what you pay for". anyway they sure look nice. i wish there was an "ebay lid" cause i need one and i'm cheap.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is an ebay lid and its metal but its not cheap
Old 01-31-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would never trust them, but then again after all the problems ive read with the yella terras breaking in half and the harlans spitting bearing everywhere...what the hell I guess your taking a chance any way you go. But it is hard to beat the people that work at YT etc since ive yetbto see where they havent replaced a product due to defect.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01M6TA
well you know you are setting yourself up for the blanket statement - "everything on ebay is junk", and "you get what you pay for". anyway they sure look nice. i wish there was an "ebay lid" cause i need one and i'm cheap.
everything on ebay isnt junk. you just need to know what to buy. i bought alot of things off ebay and i like all of them but i knew what i was buying. im not saying everything is good but its not all junk.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont know they're kind of tempting I may have to do some more research and see what I come up with.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I am very weary of cast aluminum rocker arms. And the fact that they colored them to look like HS doesn't sit well with me either. You will find with enough research that there are lots of documented failures of cheaply cast roller rockers floating around this very site.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not only that, but the reason they are so cheap is because they are knock off's. Comp and other companies have a lot of r and d in their products, that is what you pay for. The cost to actually produce comp's products is pennies on the multiple dollars you pay for them.

I'm willing to bet the farm that we pay 300 percent for comp's rockers what it cost them to produce them.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bww3588
Not only that, but the reason they are so cheap is because they are knock off's. Comp and other companies have a lot of r and d in their products, that is what you pay for. The cost to actually produce comp's products is pennies on the multiple dollars you pay for them.

I'm willing to bet the farm that we pay 300 percent for comp's rockers what it cost them to produce them.

I'm pretty sure it's more than that.

Same **** goes with ALL companies. Look at the FAST intake (molded plastic), superchargers (a housing, some bearings and an impeller or paddles/screws), headers (bent tubes).....damn near everything.

Now don't get me wrong, I know there is R&D involved in making all this stuff and some better quality materials and such, but even so, most prices are obscenely marked up.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Totally agree...I still wouldn't cheap out on rocker arms tho...

Maybe one of these days when I'm rich...I'll build an engine using as many ebay parts as I can and see how long it lasts...

I'm talking a reman block, reman heads, off brand crank, rods, rockers, crank, pistons...etc. hell ill even throw in an ebay tune. Lol.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I read about a lot of rocker arm failures on small block chevy motors, and they're almost always cheap cast rockers. On those motors, a big cam has .550 lift. On LS motors, we're all running .600 and up on aggressive lobes. No way I'd run an unproven rocker on one of these motors.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Rockstar

Half my car is from ebay, and of that about half of parts broke, are shitty quality, or never worked on start up.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The bolts WILL break, the pedestals are built wrong and no matter what grade bolt you put in there the bolt WILL BREAK......do not get them.....ask me how I know....after doing LOTS of grinding to get them to clear my tall valve covers and heads the bolts kept breaking.....mine are now probably now a door on a Honda... I threw them in the metal bin
Old 02-01-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool thanks, ya'll scared me enough just to get the comp cams trunion upgrade thanks for all the advice given. One day I'd like to build an all summit parts sbc the see how well that comes out. Once again fellas thanks.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:05 PM
FormerVendor

Those look like Pro-Comp equivalents. I have customers coming in looking for that type of pricing all the time for SBC/BBC stuff and the smart ones believe me when I urge them into Scorpions; Others go for the cheap ones and snap them.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

I tried them with the bolts that came with the set...snapped a few. I tried them with graded bolts....snapped a few. And I am talking in a day or two of normal driving. The bolts always snapped right at the bottom of the rocker where it meets the pedestal....they might work if bored out to take a bigger 3/8" graded bolt, but I wasn't going to put that much work into something I had no faith in....the rockets themselves looked like pretty nice pieces, but like said I had to do so much grinding it was rediculious.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:44 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 01M6TA
well you know you are setting yourself up for the factual statement - "everything on ebay is junk", and "you get what you pay for". anyway they sure look nice. i wish there was an "ebay lid" cause i need one and i'm cheap.
Fixed that for ya.

Ebay garbage is cheap for a reason. Most of it is cheap metals made in China and blown out on ebay at prices the kids building a $10K engine on a $1K budget love.

Fact is, just cause 1 person out of 10,000 gets way with running ebay rods/rockers/headers/whatever without failure doesn't account for the thousands that get screwed buying that crap. I rebuilt 2 motors last year because of those re-grind cams falling apart, and replaced one set of Ebay headers because they split at the flange where it bolts to the head. This is just stuff that's rolled off the street. I'd personally NEVER use any of that garbage, not even in my own cars.

This statement isn't blanket, it's fact. When building an engine, you get what you pay for. Period.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Yes I pulled a cam out of my engine that had about 10,000 miles on it with deep ruts wore in it
Old 02-02-2012, 10:41 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Damian
Fixed that for ya.

Ebay garbage is cheap for a reason. Most of it is cheap metals made in China and blown out on ebay at prices the kids building a $10K engine on a $1K budget love.

Fact is, just cause 1 person out of 10,000 gets way with running ebay rods/rockers/headers/whatever without failure doesn't account for the thousands that get screwed buying that crap. I rebuilt 2 motors last year because of those re-grind cams falling apart, and replaced one set of Ebay headers because they split at the flange where it bolts to the head. This is just stuff that's rolled off the street. I'd personally NEVER use any of that garbage, not even in my own cars.

This statement isn't blanket, it's fact. When building an engine, you get what you pay for. Period.
I think Im gonna print this out and make it a poster in my stores I wish everyone understood that.

Quick Reply: has anybody ever used these ebay rockers.