Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

sts turbo ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sts turbo ??

hi
Ive heard good and bad about sts. but is there really anything wrong with them or should i just get a supercharger like procharger or vortech?
Old 02-01-2012, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SEARCH!
you decide for yourself...https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ics-stuff.html
Old 02-01-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

they have revised the kits many times. I bought back when they were iffy; but I revised and now they have also revised. I absolutely love mine.

my car is the link that he sent you to
Old 02-01-2012, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Cheaper to piece your own kit and have a shop fabricate your pipes. Any exhaust shop would be able to do it. You'll save thousands.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

I bought an early kit. Not thrilled with mine. i would lean towards another kit. At the time it seemed great because it was only $3,995.00 for my truck kit. They are much more money now. After installing one rear mount, and building one from scratch. I would go with an oilless turbo for a rear mount or go procharger. With a traditioal kit you need long oil feed and return and all the fittings to make it work. Scalvage pump, valve to open and close the oil line, relays to control them. Front mount are short oil lines gravity drained, less cold pipe.

My sts kit had no PCV it had a valve that closed of the PCV under boost. Always blew out my dipstick. Poor design. Blew my engine because the WG was plumbed back into the exhaust. Well all the carbon leaked down into the WG and seized it causing over boosting and boom. The nice thing about building your own kit is you can do a 2 or 3 piece cold side instead of a 12 piece. To many joints to leak. You will not save thousands building your own kit sorry thats just not the case. Kits make it easy. Procharger much easier than turbo.

Good luck witch ever way you go.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

valve to open and close the oil line...relays.. what kind of crazy thing are you putting together? I never needed this nor do you need this for a rear mount.

I did my own PCV (always recommended) all you need is a one way check valve good for boost.

I did a catch can w/check valve, $15. Oil Lines & fittings as needed, scavenge pump (turbowerx exa pump or Mocal), turbo, piping.

with regards to "kits" yes procharger / vortech...etc are easier as everything is at the front of the car. Let it be said if I could do it again, I would do exactly what I have now.

Had I not blown up my ls1 (completely my fault) I would have gone with a smaller turbo (72mm turbonetics unit) but with my new engine now (6.0L) I absolutely love my TC76 ball bearing unit.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
valve to open and close the oil line...relays.. what kind of crazy thing are you putting together? I never needed this nor do you need this for a rear mount.

I did my own PCV (always recommended) all you need is a one way check valve good for boost.

I did a catch can w/check valve, $15. Oil Lines & fittings as needed, scavenge pump (turbowerx exa pump or Mocal), turbo, piping.

with regards to "kits" yes procharger / vortech...etc are easier as everything is at the front of the car. Let it be said if I could do it again, I would do exactly what I have now.

Had I not blown up my ls1 (completely my fault) I would have gone with a smaller turbo (72mm turbonetics unit) but with my new engine now (6.0L) I absolutely love my TC76 ball bearing unit.
I think he's talking about the check valve in the feed line, and relay to run the scavenge pump. But really, if those are what one considers bothersome then stay away from modding your car. Like I said, build your own kit and save thousands.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

thank you guys i dont want to play games with it. i want somthing i can get a kit and just put it in and have no headaches. i always wanted a procharger but i just dont know where to buy them
Old 02-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by custombluebird
thank you guys i dont want to play games with it. i want somthing i can get a kit and just put it in and have no headaches. i always wanted a procharger but i just dont know where to buy them
Seems to me like you don't know what your getting yourself into, because going FI will always have its headaches. If it was that easy, then everyone would do it. You have to make sure the rest of the car is built to handle the extra power as well.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

If you want a kit with no headaches an STS is probably not for you. Like GhoSStrider said, FI in general might not be for you. I've had my turbo kit in the works for 2 years, and 2 years later there is still not a turbo on my car.
Albeit, a blown motor can throw a wrench in your plans.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

depends on a few things-
how much money you want to spend: budget or exotic?
how much work you want to put into your car: you a meknic or have a meknic?
how do you want you car to handle:you want instant power or do you want a "wave"?
whats your future plans:You happy with 400hp or you want 800 later?
whats your end product desire: you looking for a drag, fun DD, super street, or RR type car
Old 02-02-2012, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

you don't need a check valve in the oil feed line.
I run my scavenge pump with my ignition.
I have my own catch can and check valve to prevent boost into the crankcase, and it is vented.

It does sound like FI may be too much trouble.

If you go with a good head cam combo you will love it, as power is on tap instantly...not saying it isn't with FI, but with a turbo setup it takes some time to figure out what size turbo to get good spool and etc...
Old 02-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

my car is a weekend car/carshow i only put 2500 miles on her last year and i just spend 2k in suspension to keep her steady and im goin to order a strange 12 bolt and new drive shaft also i know my tranny not goin to hold it so my dads friend is goin to rebuild for me.
so i think my car goin to be able to hold about 500rwhp. but am i missing anything in this that i should know of??
thank you guys
Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

and i do all the work myself
Old 02-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

imo if your thinking sts rearmount or procharger i would pick pro charger handsdown, i would talk to bob at brute speed he can hook ya up when it comes to prochargers.alot of people i know swear by prochargers,
Old 02-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

ok thank you
Old 02-02-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/12485435-post11.html
Old 02-02-2012, 08:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
imo if your thinking sts rearmount or procharger i would pick pro charger handsdown, i would talk to bob at brute speed he can hook ya up when it comes to prochargers.alot of people i know swear by prochargers,
Thanks, I appreciate it! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-02-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
you don't need a check valve in the oil feed line.
I run my scavenge pump with my ignition.
I have my own catch can and check valve to prevent boost into the crankcase, and it is vented.

It does sound like FI may be too much trouble.

If you go with a good head cam combo you will love it, as power is on tap instantly...not saying it isn't with FI, but with a turbo setup it takes some time to figure out what size turbo to get good spool and etc...
After seeing the results of the first kit you would do things differently too. Oil in the cold side on the sts kit. you'll see.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you do proper research before buying anything, then you can prevent any issues with a rear mount kit. Better pump ect and you wont have oil in places there should be no oil. A had prochargers nitrous ect and I will never go back from the turbo world now.

Quick Reply: sts turbo ??