Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

? for Air Force members

Old 02-01-2012, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? for Air Force members

My nephew is in the Air Force boot camp down in Texas (Lackland AFB). The graduation ceremonies have a tentative date of 03/01-03/04. Its my understanding that there are numerous events and not just one ceremony.

His father has passed on and I really want to be there for him but dont think I can get enough time off from work/afford staying at a hotel for 3 nights. As it is Air fare from NY to Texas is gonna be a hefty hit.

I guess my question is for anyone who has been through this, is there any 1 day that is better to be there? Any guidance at all would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not enlisted but was fortunate enough to be involved in one of the graduations.

IIRC, the schedule is something like this:

Thur-Warrior run (pretty cool), coin ceremony, dorm tours, other random stuff
Fri-Graduation

I'm not sure how the graduations work at Lackland, but when I graduated from pilot training, I was able to get rooms on base for my family at $39/day. Of course, there were only 12 in my graduation versus something like 500 at BMT, so the room availability may differ.

I'm sure some enlisted dudes can chime in with specifics, but hopefully this helps some.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The day before graduation every flight marched together and all the families were in a specific location that we marched by. After the march was over there was a little ceremony and we were able to see/talk to our family.

If you can't make all the events, go to graduation day. It is obviously the most significant.

I went through basic eight years ago so it might have changed since then, maybe one of the younger guys will chime in.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been a Training Instructor here at Lackland for over 2 1/2 years now. There are many places you can stay for little money.. I'd look at priceline or expedia. My advice is to be here for the Airman's Run and Retreat Ceremony which is the coin ceremony on Thursday. This is an important day because this is when they actually become an Airman. And as well as the Graduation on Friday. But if you can't make both definitely do the Graduation on Friday. The Air Force's graduation is the best ceremony out of any branch in the military in my opinion and great lengths are made to make sure that every graduation looks outstanding. I don't think you'll be disappointed. He'll be released to you after a safety briefing after open house which follows the graduation. He'll have to be back to the squadron no later than 800pm..he then has town pass from 9am till 8pm saturday and base liberty on Sunday from 9am until whenever his TI wants him back. Usually I want my trainee's back by 3pm to pack up their stuff. If you make it for Thursday for Retreat which starts at 11am they are released to their families immediately following the ceremony until 8pm...which is base liberty only.

The Reception Center has a lot of info as well which also has a Facebook page. Did you get the SATO letter from your nephew by chance? It has all the scheduled events in the letter which gives you info, times, ect..

If you have any other questions just ask. There's a few other TI's on this board as well.

Last edited by Pipelayaz; 02-01-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Great info Gents and very much appreciated.......
pipelayaz, I have not rcvd the Sato letter as of yet from him.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

It was sent out in the first week of training.. someone else in his immediate family probably received it. I'd ask around.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

I am also wondering about the Graduation passes. I gave him all my info and D.L# before he left and do see that some people are mentioning on the A/F Facebook page that they have rcvd theres already.

Only contact I have with my nephew is via letter writing. I was hoping to book my flights tomorrow
Old 02-02-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

He should have mailed out the visitor access request letters a while back. You can always do a background check when you get here. Also you could have secuirty forces call him at his squadron and let you on base by vouching for you.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
He should have mailed out the visitor access request letters a while back. You can always do a background check when you get here. Also you could have secuirty forces call him at his squadron and let you on base by vouching for you.
Got it in the mail today. Thanks for all the help, means a lot!!!
Old 02-03-2012, 05:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by snipes
Got it in the mail today. Thanks for all the help, means a lot!!!
No problem, enjoy the graduation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ? for Air Force members