Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

main beraing cap question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default main beraing cap question

ok so i got a free ls1 from my buddy ccause he built a 408 so in the process of freshining up the lower end before it goes in my buddies 78 malibu we pulled the oil pan off and i noticed on the mains there were stampings on the mains for orientation 1 thru 5 and yes i know they are used to mark relative postiong of main bearing caps but my question is 1 thru 4 are all in line with each other and 5 is stamped on the opposite side engine has never been apart but when looking at another block i have had they all are on the same perspective side also is the main bearing foot and pad face towards the front of the engine and all ohters face the rear is this correct
Old 02-04-2012, 12:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default main caps

It's correct. 1 - 4 face the rear, 5 to the front.

Steve
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 02-04-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i corrected the problem also noticed bearing tangs were lined up and not 180 degrees apart he said he pulled apart on the stand the other nite to inspect the main bearings and said he put it on to match the other ones

thanks steve just wanted to clear that up the number is still offset wondering if that was gm cause there is a casting boss that is were it should be on the other side