Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning question

98 z28 the sig below descreened maf . the car is surging sometimes at idle, a few hundred rpms , but not all the time. It was doing it before the ls6 intake swap and still after. Ive pretty much went over everything and cant find anything wrong. the only thing left I am thinking is a tune? I had one tuner say no, but the guy who put the ls6 on is very respected lsx guy so is the tuner who said it was not a tune. so i need some help to find out if i am chasing something that is a tuning problem looking for a mechanical issue.. any help is appreciated thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Since you have a "tuner" available, have him do a data log, and see what comes up....
Old 02-05-2012, 08:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

it's that aftermarket SLP MAF man... get rid of it... you don't need it... aftermarket MAF's screw up fueling... and stock MAF's are good for 550/600+ hp anyway, no reason to change it...

get a stock GM MAF sensor with the screen still in it and put it on the car, then do the GM idle relearn procedure, and you'll be good to go...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-05-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
it's that aftermarket SLP MAF man... get rid of it... you don't need it... aftermarket MAF's screw up fueling... and stock MAF's are good for 550/600+ hp anyway, no reason to change it...

get a stock GM MAF sensor with the screen still in it and put it on the car, then do the GM idle relearn procedure, and you'll be good to go...
Listen to this. The only thing worse than a SLP MAF is a Granatelli MAF. Or cut the added resistor out of the SLP MAF and it becomes a regular GM 85mm MAF. But then it requires a tuner to change the MAF table in the PCM.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Launching!

alright im ordering a stock one off ebay.. i bought the car and ithad the slp on their i knew they were pieces of crap just didnt realize they were that bad. Let me see if that fixes my issue
Old 02-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Ok got an update the car starts surging while its heating up. So i pulled the IAC plug and the idle smoothed right out and didnt surge anymore. I switched with a old one I had sitting that one did the same thing??? are they both bad or why would it do that. I always that once it was unpluged it should start surging not when its plugged in??
Old 02-13-2012, 11:55 AM

Does yours like act like it wants to die til it warms up thats what mine does and i was leaning towards a tune since its not a stock car i just purchased mine and was trying to figure out what is exactly wrong with it also once it does warm up it will run smooth for the most part but it does seem as though it idles high between 1000 and 1500 varies, but when its warming up it sits around 1000 but drops down to 500 and then kicks back up..
The previous owner didn't know the build info so i don't know size of cam or any of the specs on it just its really fast is all i know. First ls1 engine for me had been building lt1s before this one and wanted to move onto the ls1 engine.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z28camaro1090
Ok got an update the car starts surging while its heating up. So i pulled the IAC plug and the idle smoothed right out and didnt surge anymore. I switched with a old one I had sitting that one did the same thing??? are they both bad or why would it do that. I always that once it was unpluged it should start surging not when its plugged in??
Old 02-13-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sreve
When you unplug the IAC the PCM belives it's -40*F so it richens up the fuel.
It will belive that just like a MAF thats a liar.
He is unplugging the IAC, not the IAT.