Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

pulley and belt question

Old 02-05-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default pulley and belt question

I am new to the procharger world and i just bought a used kit. I wanted to know if you needed to change out the belt if you change out the pulley to a smaller one on the head unit? I am not sure of the size pulleys i will be getting in the kit and i would like to gather the correct ones for my setup but i just need to know if i need to purchase a belt as well?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

almost guaranteed unless you have the auto tensiner and enough adjustment left to take care of the slack. What size pullies are you going from and going to? Im not a Procharger guy but my Vortech works almost the same way though.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah. the aster bracket automatically adjusts that issue. But when you change the diameter of the blower pulley on the headunit, it will give or take away length needed on the belt. the stock j bracket tensioner can only do so much, and break in stretch has to be considered as well. just remember that there are two types of length, pre break in length and effective length. i have a 4.13 pulley and i tried a 42.5 inch belt and when it broke in it was too long and i ended up having to max out the tensioner to even get it to stay on and keep it at 2000 rpms. now i have a 41.5 put on and it was not easy. but its super right even after the breakin period. it needs to be really tight, but no so tight that it ends up causing issues with the bearing. just my 0.02 but i am new to the FI world too so i am just sharing what i have found thus far to save you a search or three.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks guys.

the guy i bought it form does not remember the sizes and has already shipped it. i was advised to run 3.4" pulley on the head unit for my setup. the crank pulley is stock from what i was told from the seller. the belt is new so i will just have to see when i get it i guess.

Search this Thread