Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lines too close to manifolds?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lines too close to manifolds?

Installed my flipped manifolds yesterday and starting to get a little concerned about a couple of things. Obviously, wiring next to manifolds is a no-no and will have to be moved. But there are some other lines running close to the manifolds that I'm a bit concerned about. One is the brake fluid line running along the k-member. It is within an inch of the manifold right now but is braided steel, so it seems like it should be okay. I'll probably end up moving a bit anyway though. The tougher ones are the steel lines going into the ABS module. Don't see a good way to get these out of the way and they are within a half inch of the driver's side manifold.
The most concerning one to me is the rubber power steering line coming out of the pump near the driver's side manifold. It's also pretty close and having that baby melt would be disastrous. I loosened the compression fitting and got it as far away from the manifold as I could but it's still in a bad position. Thinking about either replacing the line with braided stainless steel or else wrapping the line with heat wrap, but I'm not sure if the heat wrap will be enough.
Anyone have experience with running a flipped manifolds setup and having lines like these running close to them? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 02-05-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Modular makes a kit for the power steering. Ill let somebody else come in for the other two.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

I bent my brake lines out if the way by hand
Old 02-05-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

for the ps return line i just left a nipple on the bottom and ran hose up to the top out of the way. the ps pressure line i bent up top to run straight down.i dont have a dp running through there though. Just barely bent the abs lines that were close so theyre not as close lol and the one on the passenger side just bent under the k-member slightly. been fine on my street car
Old 02-05-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mpatton
Modular makes a kit for the power steering. Ill let somebody else come in for the other two.
Thanks for reminding me! Looks like a nice kit but without the bracket that hasn't come out yet the rubber return line is still in the way and that's the one I'm most concerned about. Once they come out with the full kit I might be interested.

for the ps return line i just left a nipple on the bottom and ran hose up to the top out of the way. the ps pressure line i bent up top to run straight down.i dont have a dp running through there though. Just barely bent the abs lines that were close so theyre not as close lol and the one on the passenger side just bent under the k-member slightly. been fine on my street car
Did you replace the stock hose with a longer one? That might work well! I have some leftover fuel injection line that is the same size that would probably work. I'll try bending the lines by hand. Another person mentioned that as well and as long as I'm careful, that should work out.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-05-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

There are part numbers for doing braided ps lines in the tacked threads. I did my own and it ran 150 or so. If you dont feel like figuring out how to do a one off, theres always the modular turbo kit.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used modular Turbo kit and the hose to the bottom of the power steering is atleast 2inches from the manifolds. I took a zip tie down low and was able to secure the line
Old 02-05-2012, 06:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a power steering hose kit made for the truck manifold type turbo kits.
Here is the link.
http://vtsql.gkvbf.servertrust.com/p...it-p/cbr45.htm
Old 02-05-2012, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

I built my own ps lines your better off just buying modular turbo's "kit"

Quick Reply: Lines too close to manifolds?