Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How to tell if my car is on SD or MAF tune??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if my car is on SD or MAF tune??

Hey guy's, I just sold my procharger kit to another tech member a couple weeks ago. Since then I have been switching everything back on my car to NA untill I get my forged engine put in about 2 weeks from now.I'm still using the car as my DD and was hoping I could still romp on my car (smash the gas), but I dont rember if I got my car tuned on speed density or if it's still MAF. I would'nt dare to floor it on a SD tune, but I know MAF will compensate for what ever (I think lol).I know that when I unplg my MAF sensor it shuts the car off...sooo not sure what that means lol. Anybudy know a good way to tell if I'm SD of MAF?..Thanks ahead for any help.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I believe that will tell you it's on a maf set up.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Banned

anyone else got anymore input on this...seems like I'm leaing more towards the thought that it's MAF tune still. I just want to make sure before I floor it and mess something up
Old 02-06-2012, 07:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If your car was tuned for the P1 and you haven't got it retuned or put the stock tune back in it then don't go romping on anything until you do. Doesnt matter if it's SD, MAF or BoBo the monkey is monitoring it.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Get it refined but I'm pretty sure if Ur car dies when u unplug the maf its probaly on the maf tune. Bein as SD has no maf so that wouldn't really make any sense it shouldn't even tell if the maf is plugged in on SD I would think but don't quote me on it I'm just giving it a educated guess but am curious as well.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
If your car was tuned for the P1 and you haven't got it retuned or put the stock tune back in it then don't go romping on anything until you do. Doesnt matter if it's SD, MAF or BoBo the monkey is monitoring it.
but if it was MAF then it shoud be able to compensate for the amount of air it now recieves correct?? as well as adjust timing on it's own??.I have put it up to 75% throttle so far and everything seemed fine. I do not want to hurt it but I'd hate to take it to get retuned for only 2 more weeks of driving with this motor in it. It's getting a LME Forged 347 and a turbo kit put on it soon so I need to save my money to make this swap happen. I just would like to still have a lil fun with my car in the meantime. The engine run's great at only 64k miles and I do plan to seel it once it's out the car. I'd really rather not hurt it so I'm not gona floor it until I found out more about this tune thing.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I luled
Old 02-06-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

have a wideband? I mean if it is tuned for boost it will run stupid rich at WOT without the boost, but idk about the MAF compensating that much. Good thing is that you shouldnt have too much timing in it. Just be patient and take it easy till you get the new setup
Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its gunna command alot of fuel at WOT maf or not. Safe bet would be to get a retune.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just stop driving it until you get your new motor in and get it tuned.

From my understanding an SD tune just turns the MAF reading off in the pcm so that it can be removed from the intake tract; I don't think it would recognize the MAF being plugged in or not as its turned off in the PCM.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Just stop driving it until you get your new motor in and get it tuned.

From my understanding an SD tune just turns the MAF reading off in the pcm so that it can be removed from the intake tract; I don't think it would recognize the MAF being plugged in or not as its turned off in the PCM.
It's fine to keep driving it as a DD. I drove it for a few years boosted and had no issues ,and the only thing I did was remove the P1 kit from the car and return it all back to NA. My car did'nt make any boost unless is was over 70% throttle and It's still a camed and has a few other mods on the motor so it's still got passing power at 50% throttle lol. I think as long as I keep in under 75% throttle I will be fine without a retune. I took it out in town for like an hour earlier to test out everything and it drove as smooth as you could ask a car such as this to do. Could've put an old lady in the car and there would've been no issues with her driving it other than it's loud lol.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any way of hooking a wideband up to it for a quick cruise just for peace of mind?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Any way of hooking a wideband up to it for a quick cruise just for peace of mind?
oh nah, wish I had one. All I got to monitor my car is a boost guage ( not needed for a few more weeks lol) and a fuel pressure guage.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

well if you are going turbo, just add a wideband to your list of parts, bc you NEED one
Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by o2camaross
well if you are going turbo, just add a wideband to your list of parts, bc you NEED one
Ditto, you can pick one up in the classifieds for a good price. I will be getting one soon as well for my N20 set-up.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is the correct answer.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man oh man, MAF adjusting timing?

Please, please leave the car off.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Man oh man, MAF adjusting timing?

Please, please leave the car off.
Car runs just FINE dude...I been driving it back and forth to work for the past 2 days ,and me and the wife both have a job ,and we got only 2 vehicles so I'ma drive it. I get in, turn the key and it bust right off and idles as smooth as your mom (jk jk). Even under part acceleration the car sounds great and runs perfect.. I could've sworn I heard before that the MAF (or maybe it was the knock sensors) can pull or add a lil bit of timing if the MAF senses the need..this is LS1Tech and it's the place to ask those questions that's why I asked. I got 60lb injectors on the car still and I dont' plan on flooring it while this engine is still in it cause I want to sell it. It's a great engine and in essence is running exactly the same as it was with the procharger on it. Only difference is at WOT my car was seeing 6lbs of boost. It makes perfect sense that if you keep it under 70% throttle ( I got an A4 btw) then it will be just fine till i pull it out not this weekend but the next.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Knock sensors will pull the timing not the MAF.

MAF will measure the air that goes in via Hz then sends that signal to the PCM so it will feed X amount of fuel to your motor...

Since you motor is on boost timing, the timing will be already low vs N/A tune and your AFR setting is going to be really FAT on fuel.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bene
Knock sensors will pull the timing not the MAF.

MAF will measure the air that goes in via Hz then sends that signal to the PCM so it will feed X amount of fuel to your motor...

Since you motor is on boost timing, the timing will be already low vs N/A tune and your AFR setting is going to be really FAT on fuel.
ok thanks for the info, I'ma just take it easy on it for the next 2 weeks and hopefully it wont hurt anything.

Quick Reply: How to tell if my car is on SD or MAF tune??