View Full Version : Drag bar?

custm2500
02-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Does anyone drive with a drag bar on the street? Just curious if it is horrible to drive on the street.

transam69230
02-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Drove my UMI drag bar all the time on the street. It makes the car really stiff in the back! Just don't be dumb when you enter and exit corners. I usually take the recommended speed when enter corners now.

I also run a drag setup on my car full time with the front sway bar removed. I have been driving my car like this for 3 or more years without any issues.

INTENESS
02-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Yea been running mine on the street for 5yrs no problems.

ssvert99
02-08-2012, 06:07 PM
We sell a lot of our ARB setups to guys running on both street and strip. I'm not sure if I would suggest it for a daily driver but your average weekend car it should be fine.

JL ws-6
02-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Daily driver that sees all weather conditions I would not do it. the possibility of losing it in the rain, would be pretty good.

For a nice weather, street strip car that's making any power, I would say go for it.

custm2500
02-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Cool. I don't know I will need one but a member on performancetrucks was looking at adding a anti sway bar. My thought was if you were going through that why not do it right especialy since it is a weekend, street racing, track truck.

Thanks for the responces.

deerslayinrednek
02-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Midwest chassis bar here with no problems, I actually like it a little better since mine doesn't have a front sway bar

Sofls1
02-08-2012, 10:59 PM
I daily drive on my umi, couple hundred miles a week. Have it on the "street" setting. I havent had any problems with oversteer. I use the permatex grey on the jamb nuts and it hasnt been loose yet. Its a little noisy, but I have satellite radio, so I don't care. As long as you drive reasonably, you should be good.

camaroz28lt1at
02-08-2012, 11:06 PM
MWC Drag Bar here. It drives fine on the street just going into drive ways is when you really notice it.

sweetbmxrider
02-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Aside from the noise the spohn bar likes to make, no problems. With no front sway, it will oversteer if you act stupid. I drive in all weather and realize I'm not in a stock car.

BMR Sales2
02-09-2012, 11:51 AM
We have quite a few customers who drive their BMR anti-roll bar equipped cars on the street regularly. I wouldn't reccomend doing it everyday but as weekend warrior or nice weather car it would be just fine.

355z28
02-09-2012, 03:15 PM
We have quite a few customers who drive their BMR anti-roll bar equipped cars on the street regularly. I wouldn't reccomend doing it everyday but as weekend warrior or nice weather car it would be just fine.

Last time I talked to you guys you were redesigning the bar. Is the new one out yet? Any specials coming up? :D

BMR Tech2
02-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Last time I talked to you guys you were redesigning the bar. Is the new one out yet? Any specials coming up? :D

Yes, we have redesigned the bar to a completely bolt-in design. This new design is much more more street-friendly than our last, and even more effective at the track. We even reduced the weight by a good 8 pounds over the previous XSB001. We currently don't have any specials going on, but we're always ready to help you out and set you up with a custom package. Just give us a call here at the shop: 813-986-9302.

- Kevin

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/siteart/products/XSB001_image1_large.jpg

TurboStangJON
02-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Yes, we have redesigned the bar to a completely bolt-in design. This new design is much more more street-friendly than our last, and even more effective at the track. We even reduced the weight by a good 8 pounds over the previous XSB001. We currently don't have any specials going on, but we're always ready to help you out and set you up with a custom package. Just give us a call here at the shop: 813-986-9302.

- Kevin

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/siteart/products/XSB001_image1_large.jpg

How much does it weigh?

BMR Tech2
02-09-2012, 05:13 PM
How much does it weigh?

A little under 26lbs with the hardware. The old bar was nearly 40lbs.

TurboStangJON
02-09-2012, 05:42 PM
A little under 26lbs with the hardware. The old bar was nearly 40lbs.

Wow that's a pretty big drop.

1ltcap
02-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Drove my UMI drag bar all the time on the street. It makes the car really stiff in the back! Just don't be dumb when you enter and exit corners. I usually take the recommended speed when enter corners now.

I also run a drag setup on my car full time with the front sway bar removed. I have been driving my car like this for 3 or more years without any issues.

did you actually gain that much time doing that?

BMR Tech2
02-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Wow that's a pretty big drop.

The old bar was solid and considerably wider, so there was more material. Not to mention the mounting hardware and endlinks were heavier too. Overall, we are very pleased with the new design. Especially since it's already blasted out low 1.20 60-foots! We want it on as many cars as possibly because it will certainly go faster. I will add that that car had the mounts welded to the axle tube. We suggest that be done after a certain level.
- Kevin

autokraft
02-09-2012, 07:19 PM
So the new bar is hollow?

ssvert99
02-09-2012, 07:27 PM
The ever popular MWC bolt-in anti-roll kit weighs in at 8 pounds... yes it is tubular chromemoly, has been 1.19s-that we know of- on drag radials :burn:

wws699
02-09-2012, 07:35 PM
The ever popular MWC bolt-in anti-roll kit weighs in at 8 pounds... yes it is tubular chromemoly, has been 1.19s-that we know of- on drag radials :burn:

Chromoly only has one "M" and no "E's" :usa:

TurboStangJON
02-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Chromoly only has one "M" and no "E's" :usa:

I think it's spelled chrome-moly.

StraightTimeStirrups
02-10-2012, 02:41 AM
I laugh at all of these pissing matches that all of these sponsors get into. The big three here are ALWAYS spending way too much time pitching there stuff on here. I cant say I blame them because if one does it they all have to do it but just about every thread is too much!

How about for one week you guys let your customers talk up your products!

Joe

TurboStangJON
02-10-2012, 03:46 PM
I laugh at all of these pissing matches that all of these sponsors get into. The big three here are ALWAYS spending way too much time pitching there stuff on here. I cant say I blame them because if one does it they all have to do it but just about every thread is too much!

How about for one week you guys let your customers talk up your products!

Joe

Yeah that's crazy that a sponsor would advertise a product on a forum that requires you to pay for a sponsorship. What nerve they have! <-----------Sarcasm...

Slowhawk
02-10-2012, 05:34 PM
The old bar was solid and considerably wider, so there was more material. Not to mention the mounting hardware and endlinks were heavier too. Overall, we are very pleased with the new design. Especially since it's already blasted out low 1.20 60-foots! We want it on as many cars as possibly because it will certainly go faster. I will add that that car had the mounts welded to the axle tube. We suggest that be done after a certain level.
- Kevin

I don't beleive ya. You should send me one and trade it for the old design one on my car now;)

BrianSF-GA
02-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Does anyone drive with a drag bar on the street? Just curious if it is horrible to drive on the street.

Daily driver that sees all weather conditions I would not do it. the possibility of losing it in the rain, would be pretty good.

For a nice weather, street strip car that's making any power, I would say go for it.

Aside from the noise the spohn bar likes to make, no problems. With no front sway, it will oversteer if you act stupid. I drive in all weather and realize I'm not in a stock car.

I have Spohn's Drag bar on mine and drive it on the street occasionally, but definitely listen to the recommendations above.

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab147/annetteandbrian/Camaro%20SS/Miscellaneous%20Posts/Dsc_3508-1.jpg

I think it's spelled chrome-moly.

Nope, sorry it is chromoly or CRMO as in alloying elements from chromium and molybdenum.

1ltcap
02-10-2012, 08:20 PM
drag bar........thought this may have been a "different" kind of thread. :D

BrianSF-GA
02-10-2012, 09:55 PM
drag bar........thought this may have been a "different" kind of thread. :D

.... and you still entered the thread? :lurk:

... just kidding!

Fbodyjunkie06
02-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Custom Anti-Roll here, not sure how light, but it's been 1.29 on the back tires on 275's and I drive mine on the street!

It does like to let me know it's there going into my driveway, but I think the spool, 25psi of air, manual steering and solid rod ended suspension plays a big part in that too!

1ltcap
02-10-2012, 11:32 PM
.... and you still entered the thread? :lurk:

... just kidding!

i HAD to get a look.......trannys in hot rods.......sounds like a reality show!:secret2::D

TurboStangJON
02-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Nope, sorry it is chromoly or CRMO as in alloying elements from chromium and molybdenum.

That's a racers abbreviation for the material unless the American Welding Society, Miller Welders, or Lincoln Welders are all spelling it wrong. Feel free to look at these references and tell me I'm incorrect. Furthermore, when I order material from any company they all spell it that way.

http://www.aws.org/conferences/chrome-moly/

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/welding-how-to/Pages/chrome-moly-detail.aspx

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/Best-Practices-for-GTA-Welding-of-4130-Chrome-Moly-Tubing

BrianSF-GA
02-13-2012, 09:49 AM
That's a racers abbreviation for the material unless the American Welding Society, Miller Welders, or Lincoln Welders are all spelling it wrong. Feel free to look at these references and tell me I'm incorrect. Furthermore, when I order material from any company they all spell it that way.

http://www.aws.org/conferences/chrome-moly/

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/welding-how-to/Pages/chrome-moly-detail.aspx

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/Best-Practices-for-GTA-Welding-of-4130-Chrome-Moly-Tubing

Oh ... so that means NHRA, SAE, ASTM and API all must use the "racers abbreviation”. Damn, and you are throwing out reference links? I think we all know what was meant by the original post and I will concede that there are two acceptable ways of referring to CrMo …

... anyway OP …. I see no reason not to run a drag bar on the street as long as you understand the handling characteristics of driving with one.