Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Good donor car or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good donor car or not?

So I have had my eyes focused on picking up a 4th gen to start my LSx swap, and ran into one today and wanted to see what you guys think... help push me if you think its a good idea.

98 Z28 T56, lq4 swapped with PRC stage 2.5 LS6 heads... with as described "some light rod knock" (Tx perf rods??? he says). Has some bolt on such as headers, underdrive pullies, and performance harmonic balancer.

The body is clean, with custom paint, spoiler, rear hatch (notchback style), C5 ZO6 17" & 18" wheels, clean interior, with cloth seats.

Is the $3500 OBO asking price seem like a decent move considering I'm likely buying an shortblock that will need a full rebuild. I plan to strip and sell everything 4th gen I can beyond the engine, trans, computer/harness, fuel tank... and maybe cluster.

Used ls1 T56 combos in my area are fetching $3k +... The busted LQ4, and aftermarket heads worth buying the whole thing?

This would be going into my 1991 Z28 FWIW
Old 02-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Old 02-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Well I had to talk to someone about it and SHE said hell no!!! I'm back to to plan of "One piece at a time" haha!
Old 02-16-2012, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Buy that biotch and part it out, you will get most of the parts you need and be in the profit margin.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by snipes
Buy that biotch and part it out, you will get most of the parts you need and be in the profit margin.
I probably should have... The Mrs. has plans for my money that I wasn't thinking about.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Do some major persuasion!! You will be reaching deeper in your pockets by piecing it together. That is a pretty nice looking car, and all the parts are right there. Plus after you part the rest out or sell it as a roller, you could make back a lot of your money. Then buy a nice 6.0 short block for cheap and sell the LS1 short block. So many options! Oh well, good luck.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Agreed, that piece is a gold mine! Putting the SS hood, hatch and spoiler on CL should fetch you around $800+, a clean interior should get you another $500+ (if you sell EVERYTHING out of it), dash, console, trim, etc), T-tops are $50+, RS ground effects... this thing is FULL of Craigslist goodness!

... And it comes with PRC 2.5 heads, an LQ4 block, a T56 and bolt-ons?!? Your Mrs is fairly short sighted, or possibly naive if she can't understand what an investment this is!

Seriously, itemize the car part by part for her. Then cut that price in half and say, "Even if I only sell half the parts here and recover $1750, I'll still save twice the investment price long term! If I build the car in 3 years, the effective IRR is still 26%!"

She may not understand this, but generally, companies in the Fortune 500 use IRRs in the average of 12%-15% to decide if an investment is worth it. You will have a HUGE cashflow in the first year by selling body and interior parts on Craigslist, so you will be doing about twice as well as a "good" investment as defined by Fortune 500 companies!

Of course, this all assumes you are HIGHLY motivated to move the parts at good prices (not ultra cheap but not overly high) and that you WILL use the LQ4, T56 and heads.

If I were within 400 miles of this investment and had the space, I'd get this before you
Old 02-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Friggy
Do some major persuasion!! You will be reaching deeper in your pockets by piecing it together. That is a pretty nice looking car, and all the parts are right there. Plus after you part the rest out or sell it as a roller, you could make back a lot of your money. Then buy a nice 6.0 short block for cheap and sell the LS1 short block. So many options! Oh well, good luck.
Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Agreed, that piece is a gold mine! Putting the SS hood, hatch and spoiler on CL should fetch you around $800+, a clean interior should get you another $500+ (if you sell EVERYTHING out of it), dash, console, trim, etc), T-tops are $50+, RS ground effects... this thing is FULL of Craigslist goodness!

... And it comes with PRC 2.5 heads, an LQ4 block, a T56 and bolt-ons?!? Your Mrs is fairly short sighted, or possibly naive if she can't understand what an investment this is!

Seriously, itemize the car part by part for her. Then cut that price in half and say, "Even if I only sell half the parts here and recover $1750, I'll still save twice the investment price long term! If I build the car in 3 years, the effective IRR is still 26%!"

She may not understand this, but generally, companies in the Fortune 500 use IRRs in the average of 12%-15% to decide if an investment is worth it. You will have a HUGE cashflow in the first year by selling body and interior parts on Craigslist, so you will be doing about twice as well as a "good" investment as defined by Fortune 500 companies!

Of course, this all assumes you are HIGHLY motivated to move the parts at good prices (not ultra cheap but not overly high) and that you WILL use the LQ4, T56 and heads.

If I were within 400 miles of this investment and had the space, I'd get this before you

Well I really wish I could have pulled this one together, cause I'm sure I won't be seeing anything like this for this price again. The wifey doesn't understand my love for the car, and all extra money at this point "needs" to go to our new baby... Kinda understandable, but the car guy in me is screaming

The car got sold pretty quick, and it wasn't to me
Old 02-17-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BADNBLK
Well I really wish I could have pulled this one together, cause I'm sure I won't be seeing anything like this for this price again. The wifey doesn't understand my love for the car, and all extra money at this point "needs" to go to our new baby... Kinda understandable, but the car guy in me is screaming

The car got sold pretty quick, and it wasn't to me
Yeah, to me

Kidding, but clearly someone out there thought "My girlfriend's opinion doesn't matter!" He's dead now, but he has a killer powertrain to be buried with...
Old 02-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Yeah, to me

Kidding, but clearly someone out there thought "My girlfriend's opinion doesn't matter!" He's dead now, but he has a killer powertrain to be buried with...
LMAO!!! I sort of took that approach, but I survived somehow. I figured if I was going to be buried in my ride, it had to have an LSx in it.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys needed to marry a woman who drives a racecar like i did...then its not, no....but rather, how fast is it going to be?....3 kids by the way.....
Old 02-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Friggy
LMAO!!! I sort of took that approach, but I survived somehow. I figured if I was going to be buried in my ride, it had to have an LSx in it.
I thought about just dragging it home... I feel like it was clean enough that I could sleep in if I had to haha! Too late now!

Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter
you guys needed to marry a woman who drives a racecar like i did...then its not, no....but rather, how fast is it going to be?....3 kids by the way.....
They all love the cars untill they are married to them haha! I sure sure wish mine was a race car driver, would make a lot of **** way sexier and easier in the relationship.

Why did you guys not answer this thread when I first posted about it... We could be talking about how horrible the dog house is with my 6.0
Old 02-17-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter
My gf has a 72 stingray and is trying to convince me NOT to sell my Trans-Am... she's a keeper

Originally Posted by BADNBLK
Why did you guys not answer this thread when I first posted about it... We could be talking about how horrible the dog house is with my 6.0
Do you have internet out in your dog house? Can you go get the car for $4k from the new owner?

Quick Reply: Good donor car or not?