Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are LT's allowed where you live??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are LT's allowed where you live??

Hello to all the LS1techers

i was wondering if LT's are SMOG legal where you live...(Visual,etc,etc)

I live in Cali. Where i think it's not OK...but correct me if im wrong.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

LTs are techincally not 'legal' anywhere in this country, because they move the cats.

As far as what you can get away with, basically CA and some of the northeastern states are strict about it and will fail you for LTs. But in about 45+ states, they don't give a rats ***. I just passed the emissions test today (OBD scan test) and they don't even do a visual here in IL.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, they are not smog legal. That hasn't stopped most of us, though

Jeff
Old 03-19-2004, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

in florida theres no emissions testing, which means you can get away with just about anything
Old 03-19-2004, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

They apparently are legal in NM. I contacted the Emissions dept. and even went there in person to talk to the techs. As long as the equipment is present (cats, sensors) and it passes the sniffer, it is legal here. The best bet is to contact your local local agency and confirm it.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2002S
They apparently are legal in NM. I contacted the Emissions dept. and even went there in person to talk to the techs. As long as the equipment is present (cats, sensors) and it passes the sniffer, it is legal here. The best bet is to contact your local local agency and confirm it.
The actual illegality comes not from state law, but from Federal law. The Federal law says that you cannot replace a catalytic converter unless its defective and that you can't change a converter's position in the system...IMHO, as long as you comply with your local emissions laws, you should be fine ('cause they're the ones actually checking)...besides, there aren't many G-men out there checking vehicle exhaust systems!
Old 03-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Ohhhh....thank you all for yor post...and LUCKY TO YOU FLORIDA PEOPLE!!

and no one is going to stop me from getting my LT's...

although i'm broke right now...and saving up for a GMMG so...there's one thing holding me back
Old 03-19-2004, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cali's not gonna stop me either!
Old 03-19-2004, 09:17 PM
Teching In

YEA!!! that's the attitude!
Old 03-19-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Couldn't somebody make a LT with a cat 'box' in the correct position of the original cat - only empty. That would pass the visual inspection, if it were required.
Just throwing out crazy idears...
Dan
Old 03-20-2004, 03:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rschumacherfan1
Couldn't somebody make a LT with a cat 'box' in the correct position of the original cat - only empty. That would pass the visual inspection, if it were required.
Just throwing out crazy idears...
Dan
where the "cat box" would have to go, there are still 8 individual tubes. that also doesnt take care of the "can't replace them unless they are defective" thing.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:29 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LT's and catless duals in Cali here . i'll figure out what im going to do for smog when the time comes. for now i'll just enjoy my jet hots.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by raceguy333
where the "cat box" would have to go, there are still 8 individual tubes. that also doesnt take care of the "can't replace them unless they are defective" thing.
I guess I'm picturing the GTO exhaust that has both cats and resonators that look about identical

http://www.newagegto.com/X04AR_PN002.jpg

1. visually nobody could tell the cat's from the resonators - I'm not finding which is which in my searching this morning. I think LT's would fit before the second box inline.
2. I'm sure I could find a mechanic to sign off that my cat was plugged and I needed to have it replaced.
Since MI doesn't have any testing - I'll probably be ok. I do plan on putting the stock system in the rafters of the garage just in case when I do the headers and full exhaust upgrade next year.
Dan

Last edited by WILWAXU; 03-21-2004 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:08 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Being 'defective' is not the only criteria for replacement. If you read the USEPA guidelines, you will find that a 'missing' cat also constitues replacement as well. So your exhaust system was ripped from your car by a speed bump. That would not be covered by any manufacturer's emissions warranty as it was not a failure of the part. Now your cats are missing, so you replaced them. Seems simple to me But it still would not be legal to relocate them, not that it matters because there are only 1-5 states in this country that would even check for that, and in those states I'm sure hobbyists have found ways around that.

Furthermore, don't waste your time worrying about relocating cats being aganist federal law, because in reality any mod you do to your motor or trans that can effect emissions is illegal. Do a web search on the Clean Air Act, the federal tampering prohibition in section 203(a)(3) of the Clean Air Act (Act), 42 U.S.C. 7522(a)(3). Section 203(a)(3)(A) of the Act prohibits any person from removing or rendering inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in any motor vehicle in compliance with regulations under Title II of the Act (i.e., regulations requiring certification that vehicles meet federal emissions standards). This is by no means limited to exhaust modifications. It's anything you do to change the way air/fuel flows through your motor, or to effect gas mileage. However, this whole law is a waste of time because the feds really have no way of enforcing it once cars make it to the private consumer level.

So long as you can pass whatever state inspection you have to deal with, you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 03-20-2004 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i thought you were allowed to relocate your cats after 3 years or 50k?i thought LTs were legal as long as you keep all emissions equipment intact.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

As far as replacing broken cats... Someone sabotaged mine, I do not wish to press charges for property damage.