Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble changing waterpump.. stock for stock

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trouble changing waterpump.. stock for stock

just got my waterpump from the GM and got the old one off. I went to put the Hypertech 160 t-stat back in and realized the housing/hole is narrower on the new pump? The t-stat will not sit down in because the two metal wings will not fit in the hole.

I have a 2000 WS6. Does anyone know if they changed the housings or how to fix this. I really dont' want to **** a 45 t-stat down the drain on this one.

Any quick help is appreciated
Old 03-19-2004, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

would it be OK to grind it just a touch to get the t-stat to fit in... like a 1/16
Old 03-19-2004, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Not sure if you should grind it or not but if you think its doable Id try it. I would be real careful not to get it very hot when you do.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

The castings are different.. The old one is a W3 2C and the new one is a W6 1C

One thermostat has holes in the piece that fits up against the housing and the hypertech does not..

it's always my luck on this stuff that something isn't quite right... anyone know anything about the castings before I grind away
Old 03-20-2004, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Well since no one really had come across this before here's a few pictures since I'm sure I wont be the only one. Thanks Trans_AmGuy for caring when no one else did

Here's the part info from GM:
*88894345 PUMP KIT $140 for the pump and two gaskets

Anyone who orders a waterpump should be aware that I did in fact get the right part number but it seemed to come with a new t-stat housing and the older style t-stats and hypertechs didn't fit without some work

Here's the new waterpump

Old waterpump t-stat hole notice how big it is.

Here's the new housing that I had to grind to make my hypertech fit. It looked unmachined from GM. On the plus side there is way more surface to have the gasket make a tight seal now.

After the grinding here's the old t-stat on the new housing

Filled and burped the system a couple times just to be safe and took it on a drive with Atap logging. The temps were right around 172- 185 which was where it was before when I had installed and reprogrammed the PCM for the new t-stat.

Finally done with this one... (I hope)