Sponsored by:

new engine or fix the prob?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new engine or fix the prob?

first off let me say i have a 3.8 not a 5.7 and yes i kno this is LS1tech

so i have 2 blown head gaskets and ive heard its gonna b roughly around 2k to fix...would u guys fix the issue or just get a new engine. and if so wat would have to be done to get a new engine in there? (do i need to change anything? new computer?) i have 98k on the car
Old 02-09-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on how much money you want to spend, and if you can do the work yourself.

Option A: Get a bolt kit and gaskets to replace the head gasket(s), do the work yourself, and it won't cost more than 2-300$. (Assuming a lot of things to include that is the only thing wrong, you have the time and location, etc.) It's not nearly as hard as you think it would be, and you learn quite a bit in the process.

Option B: Buy a new engine for <insert price here>. I'm assuming you'll be sticking with the 3.8 and more of an OEM route? If that is the case, it'll just be replacing the engine. You'll know for a fact that everything is new. I don't know how much a 3.8 short/long block would cost. Again, a lot of assumptions. You could always do things like water/oil pump, and engine mounts while everything is out. It's just easier.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Teching In

well that, and the bad heater core that got me in this mess in the first place, should b the only thing thats wrong. now as for symptoms at first after the car would warm up it would just spew white smoke into the car with a coolant smell. now theres no more smoke spewing into the car but the temp needle doesnt move either is that bc i dont have anymore/low coolant? and should i add more if it is low given my current condition? also after about 12 miles or so the car will start to die out...? any ideas

also as for checking the head(s) to make sure they're ok, where/ how can i do that
Old 02-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buddy its your call if you can do the work yourself thats a plus if not add up the cost of all the repairs, see if its something you want to spend or not, some cars are just not worth the repairs just because you can get cars so cheap these days, some people dont want to pay a huge repair bill, im not telling you to sell your car you do what you like,
Old 02-09-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just get a good used engine and replace your. Also have that damn heater core fixed.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Well I'm def get the heater core fixed. Its winter in Chicago LOL. Now as for the head gasket, if I pick up one of those Haynes manuals would it show me the step by step on how to fix the head gasket? Also does anyone know a link to an online how to for this? IV looks everywhere and I can't find one
Old 02-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A haynes manual will give you enough info to do the job but unfortunately if you have never done a head gasket change before, if you miss something and dont know any better because of lack of experience it could be catastrophic to your wallet!

Dont forget to factor in the machine shop cost of milling the cylinder heads and checking them for cracks. A head is junk if it is cracked from being overheated. This has to be done to make the heads perfectly flat for optimum sealing surface to the head gaskets.

You will need basic tools plus a breaker bar, torque wrench and an area that you can put all the parts as you remove them from the car and nobody can mix up the order you put them in.

The book will not hold your hand on this type of car repair but it should be able to give you enough info to fix it.

Your temperature gauge is maxing out because a blown headgasket allows exhaust gases which are very hot get into your coolant passages in the heads which causes the engine coolant to be superheated by the exhaust gases well above the normal operating temp of your engine. The radiator cannot physically get rid of all this extra heat because the cooling system was not designed to handle that large of a heat load.
Good luck and get someone with experience to help out if you can!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Well I ended up looking for anothrr engine and I came across a 78k mile engine at a salvage yard with install its 1800 but the Mechanic was like I can rebuild urs for 2200 so I think I'm just gonna have him rebuild it and call it a day...now since I'm getting it rebuilt is there anything that I can ask for to get some better HP without totally killing my MPG
Old 02-17-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Exhaust, CAI, gears...OR keep your money and upgrade to a LS1 fbody
Old 02-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Exhaust, CAI, gears...OR keep your money and upgrade to a LS1 fbody

I looked into.selling my baby for a ls1 and around here the cheapest
Was an SS camaro for like 8500. But I don't have that and Ih'm a Firebird Guy (even tho I wanted a camaro z28 wen I was looking for a car lol) besides I love my car too much to get rid of her...then I looked into upgrading the engine and everything and it was 8k sooo no LOL... in the future I might Turbo it. But idk ill c how I feel after this rebuild
Old 02-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NIghtHAwk01
Well I ended up looking for anothrr engine and I came across a 78k mile engine at a salvage yard with install its 1800 but the Mechanic was like I can rebuild urs for 2200 so I think I'm just gonna have him rebuild it and call it a day...now since I'm getting it rebuilt is there anything that I can ask for to get some better HP without totally killing my MPG
The only problem with used/junk yard engines is you have no idea what it's condition is or history, you are essentially diving in blind.

$2200 for a rebuild? Does that include machining? To my knowledge, you cannot just replace bottom end parts without machining.

And lol to your last sentence. If you want more power, get the v8 option.

Originally Posted by NIghtHAwk01
I looked into.selling my baby for a ls1 and around here the cheapest
Was an SS camaro for like 8500. But I don't have that and Ih'm a Firebird Guy (even tho I wanted a camaro z28 wen I was looking for a car lol) besides I love my car too much to get rid of her...then I looked into upgrading the engine and everything and it was 8k sooo no LOL... in the future I might Turbo it. But idk ill c how I feel after this rebuild
**** the ss/ws6 option, that package is worthless and people want like an extra $2k for it.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bjorn20
**** the ss/ws6 option, that package is worthless and people want like an extra $2k for it.
doesnt it onlygive u lik 15 extra hp and bragging rights to say u have a ws6?couldnt u just get a CAI an slp catback and an aftermarket ram air(even tho i would MOS DEF want a raptor hood!!!) for the same price if not less and get more bang?
Old 03-09-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, the ram air might be4 worth some hp, but not that much. Its more the whole package thats worth it IMO; nicer hood, wheels and ram air..

But if your on a budget, get a Firebird 5.7 or a Z28!! cheap and as fast(sometimes faster because of lighter wheel and less option). And mod it your way slowly.

just a tease;

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

theres another formula for 5995$ LOL

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Last edited by Johnnystock; 03-09-2012 at 12:41 PM.