Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rear Main Seal Leak Already?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Rear Main Seal Leak Already?

Hey Everyone,

So, I am currently in the middle of an A4-->M6 swap. While everything was out, I decided to replace the rear main seal because it looked to be slightly leaking. I got a new Fel-Pro gasket, and replaced it according to the manual's instructions. I read up on it and didn't use the special centering tool the manual talks about--just torqued the long oil pan bolts first to center the cover, then tightened the cover bolts--many said they never used the tool. I bolted on the flywheel, put loctite on the bolts and torqued them to spec.

The car has sat for probably 3 weeks since that time while I have been doing other things. I was unable to install the trans due to a poorly aligned clutch disk/pressure plate, so I took everything off down to the flywheel tonight to re-align the clutch. After I got everything off, I noticed oil residue on the lower portion of the flywheel, coming from what looks like the flywheel bolts and making a little puddle on the lip right before the flywheel face. I posted the pics. Do I need another rear main seal? I have not filled up the crankcase with oil since draining it to do the seal, mind you. Is this just a result of some oil getting pushed out of crank bolt holes while tightening the flywheel down? Or, is my seal already leaking and I haven't even filled it with oil yet? Just want to make sure I don't bolt everything back up and ruin a clutch because my rear main seal was leaking all along.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails New Rear Main Seal Leak Already?-img_3856.jpg   New Rear Main Seal Leak Already?-img_3858b.jpg   New Rear Main Seal Leak Already?-img_3857.jpg  

Last edited by Macs98Z; 02-11-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

That's got to come apart again. You may have damaged the seal installing it or the welch plug in the crankshaft is leaking (it may have moved when you installed the pilot bearing). In either case, you need to find the source of the leak.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

First off ,,,,,,,if it's a fairly high mileage engine ,,,,,,,,,,usually the crank surface the seal contacts needs to be sanded with 400-600 grit wet or dry sand paper because there is usually a little grooving going on from the seal . As far as the clutch is concerned ,,,,,,,,,,,,just loosen the 6 bolts holding the pressure plate to the flywheel maybe 1 or 2 turns out ,,,,,,maybe just a half a turn or so and take a 3/8" or try a 1/2" by 6" or 10" extension and put it in the center hole the tranny input shaft goes into and center the clutch plate ,,,,,,,,,,,,with the tranny at least a foot back out of the way or on ground completely out of way You can get You're head up to eye level with the center hole of the clutch and visually see if it's centered enough to stab the tranny/input shaft . It does'nt need to be perfectly centered ,,,,just close .
The oil on the flywheel I'm sure is from where You said You think it may have come from ,,,,,,,,,,,,but like I said before ,,,,,,,if it's got some miles on it I would pull the seal housing back off and inspect the crank for grooving and remedy as necessary . Good luck
Old 02-12-2012, 03:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the responses, guys. My problem isn't figuring out how to align my clutch, it's figuring out where this little pool of oil came from. My engine is practically brand new--only about 15k miles--so likely no grooving going on there. The low mileage also makes me doubt that it would be the welch plug in the crank, although crazier things have happened. I am positive I didn't touch the plug. Originally being an A4 car, I didn't remove an old bushing or bearing, I just installed the new pilot bushing, and I was very careful not to drive it in too far. It is sitting perfectly flush with the crank end.

Is it possible this is just residual oil from off the crank end or left in the flywheel bolt holes and it is collecting in that area? The engine is tilted back a bit being on jackstands. I am not afraid to replace the seal and/or welch plug if necessary. Just trying to get an idea of what it is first. Maybe someone has personal experience with a situation similar to this?
Old 02-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont risk, pull it back apart and take a look, i am a tech for a living if it were me i would pull it.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
Thanks for the responses, guys. My problem isn't figuring out how to align my clutch, it's figuring out where this little pool of oil came from. My engine is practically brand new--only about 15k miles--so likely no grooving going on there. The low mileage also makes me doubt that it would be the welch plug in the crank, although crazier things have happened. I am positive I didn't touch the plug. Originally being an A4 car, I didn't remove an old bushing or bearing, I just installed the new pilot bushing, and I was very careful not to drive it in too far. It is sitting perfectly flush with the crank end.

Is it possible this is just residual oil from off the crank end or left in the flywheel bolt holes and it is collecting in that area? The engine is tilted back a bit being on jackstands. I am not afraid to replace the seal and/or welch plug if necessary. Just trying to get an idea of what it is first. Maybe someone has personal experience with a situation similar to this?
Hmmmm, looks like it's in pretty deep, here's a pic of a '10 Camaro crank that's being converted over to a 4L80...
Attached Thumbnails New Rear Main Seal Leak Already?-img_0914.jpg  
Old 02-12-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Hmmmm, looks like it's in pretty deep, here's a pic of a '10 Camaro crank that's being converted over to a 4L80...
Not sure why yours sits so far out there, but I guarantee you mine is sitting flush with the crank end. I was very careful tapping it in not to push it in too far. It's hard to see it with the grease all around, but this is what it would look like cleaned up: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAA&dur=831

Anyway, talked to a GM mechanic friend today (been a master mechanic for years) and he mentioned he thought it looked like the grease in the pilot was separating and it is the oil in the grease running down the flywheel. I think he may be on to something because it looks like clean oil--not the dirty oil I drained from the engine before changing the seal. I haven't filled the engine with new oil yet, so if it was the rear main seal or welch plug that was leaking, it would have to be dirty old oil. Another thing is that I looked underneath the flywheel, between it and the block, and I can't see any oil running down the backside of the block, which would for sure be a rear main seal. Thanks for the opinions and help so far, please keep chiming in. I am now thinking I should get the flywheel resurfaced anyway while doing all this, so I will pull it off in the next day or two and be able to look behind it for sure.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

if your buddy is a master tech get him to borrow the tool and go buy a new rear main seal also the there is an alignment tool and and installation tool for the rear main so he should be able to borrow and return try that and if it was the welch plug you would know it when you installed the pilot bearing
Old 02-12-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

My friend no longer works for GM so, unfortunately, I won't have access to the tool. I mentioned to him about my method of putting the rear cover back on (torque oil pan bolts first, then cover bolts), and he agreed that should have aligned the cover.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fastazzls1
and if it was the welch plug you would know it when you installed the pilot bearing
Yeah, my friend said that he's never seen one of those fail. He said when they install them at the factory they heat up the crank and press the plug on so it's going to take a lot to damage it/move it.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My pilot bushing looks like S10xgn's but I used an ls2/ls7 bc of a 4 speed swap...I think the ls1 pilot is different not sure though...I would agree with your GM buddy it doesn't look like engine oil but the oil that separates from grease when it is in a little packet...was all that greased pushed out when you installed bushing?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
was all that greased pushed out when you installed bushing?
I put all that grease behind the bushing (and then some) when I installed it. I was paranoid about not having any grease on the bushing (didn't realize the bronze bushing is, by design, self lubricating). I fought with the trans for a while before giving up trying to put it in. That's why the grease is all over the place. I'm going to clean it up and get it all out of there--it won't stay there when the engine starts running anyway.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh ok I would pull flywheel clean completely then look to see if any more oil...I think you will be good
Old 02-13-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Oh ok I would pull flywheel clean completely then look to see if any more oil...I think you will be good
Yeah, that's what I'm planning to do. I'm gonna pick up a set of ARP bolts as well to put on when I get done. Just wish I would've done that in the first place instead of paying the same amount for a set of TTY throw-aways from the dealership

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll keep everyone updated as to what it things look like with the flywheel off.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know this is a late post, but I did want to update for posterity. I got the flywheel off and checked it out--no oil drips from the main seal. I am almost positive the tiny puddle of oil was oil separating from the grease I put into the pilot bushing. I've had the car all back together now for a week and taken one long 14 hour round trip in it with no issues/leaks yet to speak of. Thanks to everyone who offered help and advice!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that you & S10xGN have installed the pilot bearings at the same, correct depth.
Yours only appears deeper because the flywheel is on.

Quick Reply: New Rear Main Seal Leak Already?