Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header diff/ coated,uncoated,stainless

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Header diff/ coated,uncoated,stainless

I'm about to get some headers along with the Y-pipe..but I would like to know the difference between ceramic coated, uncoated, and stainless...also the sizes 1-3/4 and 1-7/8 what's better and easier to fit....in other words is it worth the price difference from coated to uncoated...what does each provide in terms of lasting performance....will I get more flow from the bigger primary tubes or is it about the same??? how bout fitment issues will the bigger primaries be harder to install with good clearance and everything???
Old 03-20-2004, 09:07 AM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

Unless your making alot of power, like over 450 to the ground I would just use an 1 3/4 primary. An 1 7/8 can actuly hurt torque, unless your using a blower, NOS, or just making alot of power. As far as Stainless, or coated I would go coated! It keeps the engine copartment cooler, & will last alot longer. Whos headers do you plan to use?
Old 03-20-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kjsdpc
Unless your making alot of power, like over 450 to the ground I would just use an 1 3/4 primary. An 1 7/8 can actuly hurt torque, unless your using a blower, NOS, or just making alot of power. As far as Stainless, or coated I would go coated! It keeps the engine copartment cooler, & will last alot longer. Whos headers do you plan to use?
Coated headers will NOT last longer than stainless.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have had coated and uncoatd. The coated look so much nicer and are cooler. Go coated. My dad has stainless on his vette they are pretty nice to
Old 03-20-2004, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanx!...I was opting for coated anyway but wanted to know if it's realy worth it to get stainless...but..I'm gonna get the Hooker long tube headers (ceramic) and the Y pipe...they have the Y pipe ceramic coated too but I don't think its much of a difference ..is it???....It's fopr a 98 LS1 so I'm going with those...it was between those and MACs but I opted for Hookers...more flow more power from what I have researched here and there.........I wanted some not too pricey and not too cheap either in terms of fitment,coating and powerwise....I don't need cats anyway so I chose Hooker!!!
Old 03-20-2004, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Stainless will last forever, coated will not. One scratch and the coat goes to ****, and can rush where the scratch is.

Stainless > Coated
Old 03-20-2004, 03:01 PM
10 Second Club

I've been looking at non coated headers as well but realized they will just fall apart in a short time so I now would only consider stainless (I highly recommend the QTPs ) myself if I were buying new headers.
Coated are better than 'painted only' of course but will still rust at least in some spots eventually.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

I was lookin' into Hookers also and decided to go with JET-HOT's cause theyre pretty much the same thing with a few improvements. My dads got the hookers on his 69 Camaro. I did some research and decided to go witht he JET-HOT Headers (Ceramic Coated).. Just got em in the mail this week they look sweeeeeet. I ordered them w/ ORY no cats & got some o2 sims from tbyrne motorsports $90 for the pair. Total i payed $736.00 Not bad.