Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just bought, knocking noise help, other?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought, knocking noise help, other?

just bought a 99 z28 camaro with 6 speed, guy said it has stage 2 clutch he installed, and hurst shifter...

anyways i got this weird knocking noise, radio frequency and chatter...

at idle no knocking noise, i can rev it up and no knocking noise, but i noticed the idle kinda jumps around alittle like maybe couple hundred rpms?normal?...

sometimes when i first turn it on i can hear chattering and if i press down clutch and let go a couple times it will go away....

back to the knocking, it happens when im crusing and it picks up speed when i accelerate, goes away if i throw it in neutral and coast...

ive also noticed that when im shifting gears sometimes, the hurst shifter rattles like a rattle snake tail as soon as clutch engages but not always...

knocking doesnt change with braking or turning, and knocking changes its noise level, not always as bad, for instant it sounded pretty bad on highway when i was coming home in 6th gear and i came to hwy loop to slow down and shifted down to 4th gear and back to 6th out of hwy loop and the sound was like half the volume at same rpm and speed now....

as for the radio frequency... not saying its radio but its high pitch frequency noise that mimics acceleration and it comes and goes, oh and even one time i messed with heater *** and frequency noise got all choppy sounding...

ive taken my car to a bunch of shops, got a full alignment, tires balanced and rotated... mechs said it might be harmonic balancer or flywheel? anyway to check these? or could it be other stuff?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Teching In

lets see a video
Old 02-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Sounds like it could be a damaged clutch/ miss alignment when installed issue. Don't really know with out taking it apart.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Ok another thing I noticed, this might help alot, its a progressive thing, first time I drive the car in a day no vibrations or knocking, the longer I drive it, the worse it feels, like I can feel the knocking feeling in pedal and slightly in shifter
Old 02-14-2012, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Oh and my hurst shifter Chrome stick part starts to get hot to the touch, even the ball warms up alittle
Old 02-15-2012, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Ok got a better description of knocking now, its getting worse, it happens in neutral coasting now, braking and not braking, noise silents when I turn left and gets loud knock when I turn right
Old 02-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Check the clutch... Sounds like that's where your problems are coming from... Does it feel like your car bogs down when you try to accelerate?
Old 02-16-2012, 04:18 AM
On The Tree

Nah it pulls hard, right now I'm leaning towards warped rotors
Old 02-16-2012, 06:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Where does the noise seem to come from? If I could guess id say the clutch, or flywheel wasn't reinstalled right
Old 02-16-2012, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

Ok as soon as I start driving its fine, after 2-3 regular brake stops squeals for brakes start, after that knocking starts, its gas pedal felt mostly, and its drivetrain constant, I also checked rotors and they all have big lips and wavy looking, they look stock(140k on car), I got drilled slotted rotors and pads all the way around showing up Saturday, imma replace first then I'm gonna do hub bearing if sound is still there

Quick Reply: just bought, knocking noise help, other?