Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Camaro vs GTO

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro vs GTO

I am at a bit of a delema, i currently own a 1999 camaro with 46,xxx miles. It is clean as can be, has a black leather interior and a six speed, and obviously an ls1. It is red with chrome rims. I am selling it right now on craigslist because i have been looking at some pretty nice GTO's and im not sure what one to go with. I have a line on a black GTO. This is the e-mail he sent me.

Has 77k but at 67k I had a local shop. Put a set of ported heads with titanium locks retainers and comp springs. 5 way valve job, ferra. 6800 series valves. All new gaskets pan to throttle body. New high volume oil pick up double roller timing set. Comp cam custom grins. .238/.240 114 lsa. Ported ls6 intake. Pace setter 1 3/4 headers custom 3" header back spin tech x pipe and mufflers.

Is this a good deal to sell my camaro and get, or do i just stick with the Camaro?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:31 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends what you're looking for. I had two 3rd gens, two 4th gens, then a LS2 GTO, and now I'm back in a 4th gen. The GTO is a nice car and all, but there is no denying its sedan underpinnings (among other things).

FWIW, my "new" '02 SS was decided only after I realized a 5th gen was going to be just like my GTO; not assumed, mind you, but after I spent time in a couple 5th gens. Again, a great car, but not a replacement for the character of the 4th gens. Others might say such "character" is what they don't like about the 4th gens. To each their own

I figured I'd mention that I have no regrets in owning my GTO. I used it as a DD when we lived in DC. It was my only car at the time, and I did not have the time (nor garage) for a dedicated "toy." It's softer sedan-ness actually was an appeal for my commute, and with 400hp and a 6 speed, it made the drive MUCH nicer. It always put a smug smile on my face driving past the belly-button G35/350Z & TL's that my peers seemed to default to.

However, I knew it would never be the "performance" car I desired. That's why I never had the ambition to mod it -- I did not feel it would ever make me happy regardless of the money I put into it.

Last edited by demonspeed; 02-14-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yup, it's really all in what you want. If you're just plain tired of the Camaro and everything that it's about, I would go ahead and get the GTO. But, you may do it and then end up missing the raw old-school muscle car feeling that the Camaro has. But, the fact that the GTO doesn't appear to be an LS2 judging by that mod list makes it even less appealing to me.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Yea the GTO up there was an ls1. just curious how much would you pay for my car?

http://racine.craigslist.org/cto/2820067274.html
Old 02-14-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ive owned both a 99 m6 z28 and i still own the 05 m6 gto . Pretty much what these guys have said. Camaro seemed lighter and more nimble, GTO softer and heavier feeling. Both are great cars, but i will put it this way, I MISS MY 4TH GEN !!! WANNA TRADE? LOL
Old 02-14-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean looking Camaro youve got there.

Id betcha you'll miss it if you sell it for a Goat.

If I was in your shoes, I would stick with the Camaro, especially one as nice as yours.

Just my $0.02
Old 02-14-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

I've driven 1 98-02 f-body. And I own a GTO. I prefer my Goat over the f-body. For a DD it's just much nicer. It's got an incredibly comfortable ride, fantastic interior, and it's still got the muscle characteristics of the f-body. Plus, how many f-bodies do you see on the road every day? Now, how many GTOs do you see? Not near as many. I looked at getting a ws6 for a while but decided to go with the less common of the two. I love my car and would choose it over an f-body 10/10 times but I guess I'm somewhat biased at this point.
If you spend a lot of time at the strip you probably won't like the IRS. And fair warning...parts for GTOs are expensive and may even need to be ordered from the motherland.
Test drive a Goat and then make your decision. Hope that helps.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:14 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by thehazz12
I've driven 1 98-02 f-body. And I own a GTO. I prefer my Goat over the f-body.
What did you own previous to the GTO?
Old 02-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by newschool72
Ive owned both a 99 m6 z28 and i still own the 05 m6 gto . Pretty much what these guys have said. Camaro seemed lighter and more nimble, GTO softer and heavier feeling. Both are great cars, but i will put it this way, I MISS MY 4TH GEN !!! WANNA TRADE? LOL
Lets do it ill trade.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Where do you live?And is it an m6 or auto.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by demonspeed
What did you own previous to the GTO?
'98 Sebring LXI lol. Nothing special but it got the job done for a first car.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GYTR-YAMI
Yea the GTO up there was an ls1. just curious how much would you pay for my car?

http://racine.craigslist.org/cto/2820067274.html
you might want to list it as more than a 1999 Camaro.

put Z28 or LS1 or something to attract a buyer in the tag line.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:16 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

'98 Sebring LXI lol. Nothing special but it got the job done for a first car.
There's truly nothing wrong with starting out like that. I just ask because I figured your sense of "performance" would be a bit different than those who had only sports cars. You didn't have the "comfort level" associated with any particular type of car until the GTO came around, so of course the GTO is the best thing you've ever had.

I just think people should take that into consideration when reading others' experiences.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Depends what you're looking for. I had two 3rd gens, two 4th gens, then a LS2 GTO, and now I'm back in a 4th gen. The GTO is a nice car and all, but there is no denying its sedan underpinnings (among other things).

FWIW, my "new" '02 SS was decided only after I realized a 5th gen was going to be just like my GTO; not assumed, mind you, but after I spent time in a couple 5th gens. Again, a great car, but not a replacement for the character of the 4th gens. Others might say such "character" is what they don't like about the 4th gens. To each their own

I figured I'd mention that I have no regrets in owning my GTO. I used it as a DD when we lived in DC. It was my only car at the time, and I did not have the time (nor garage) for a dedicated "toy." It's softer sedan-ness actually was an appeal for my commute, and with 400hp and a 6 speed, it made the drive MUCH nicer. It always put a smug smile on my face driving past the belly-button G35/350Z & TL's that my peers seemed to default to.

However, I knew it would never be the "performance" car I desired. That's why I never had the ambition to mod it -- I did not feel it would ever make me happy regardless of the money I put into it.
i was once thinking about selling my 4th gen WS6 to get a GTO,but i changed my mind because i felt exactly how you felt,no matter how much i mod the GTO i would still hunger for a 4th gen T/A or Camaro,i like the 5th gen Camaro,but i dont think the interior of the 5th Gen would ever grow on me,some ppl think im crazy when i say i like the 4th gen Camaro better than the 5th gen,the GTO is a great car,but its not sporty enough for me
Old 02-16-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

3rd gen ftw!

i may not have cupholders, but i've got all that nostalgia to take me back....motley crue, ac/dc, bleached blond big hair, casette tapes...i'm getting sidetracked here.

if it were me, i would add a few more mods, keep a good wax on it, and enjoy it!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter
3rd gen ftw!

i may not have cupholders, but i've got all that nostalgia to take me back....motley crue, ac/dc, bleached blond big hair, casette tapes...i'm getting sidetracked here.

if it were me, i would add a few more mods, keep a good wax on it, and enjoy it!
I had a 3rd gen at one time 1989 iroc z cleans as the car im selling now, i was going to do the 6-speed conversion and put a high flow vorted tpi set up in there but i sold it for 4000 to get the camaro i got now.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

I had a 1998 Firebird Formula A4 when I bought my 2006 M6 GTO. The GTO was super clean, only 50,000 miles, and I did heads, cam, intake, headers, exhaust, tune, and a few other mods. The car was great but it just didn't care for it like I did my Formula. I think it would have outhandled my Formula, and of course the interior feeling was completely different, but the rest of the car didn't do it for me. I think I'm partial to f-bodies since I've owned 4 3rd gens and 3 4th gens. Everyone that I told I was buying a GTO told me I wouldn't like it and not to do it. I should have listened because I traded it in after about 8 month on a Silverado. If you've always been an f-body person, I think it's a harder addiction to break than crack; though I've never been a crack addict. I'm glad I still get my f-body fix from my Formula.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

I've driven 1 98-02 f-body. And I own a GTO. I prefer my Goat over the f-body. For a DD it's just much nicer. It's got an incredibly comfortable ride, fantastic interior, and it's still got the muscle characteristics of the f-body. Plus, how many f-bodies do you see on the road every day? Now, how many GTOs do you see? Not near as many. I looked at getting a ws6 for a while but decided to go with the less common of the two. I love my car and would choose it over an f-body 10/10 times but I guess I'm somewhat biased at this point.
If you spend a lot of time at the strip you probably won't like the IRS. And fair warning...parts for GTOs are expensive and may even need to be ordered from the motherland.
Test drive a Goat and then make your decision. Hope that helps.

Never owned a fbody but have driven them. I agree with everyones statements about the fbodies being more raw than the gto but I did just purchase a 04 gto and i have to say i love it so far. It has all the speed potential of a fbody really. There are def differences btwn the two but it has lots of potential for sure. Also what another poster said about how many fbodies do you see vs gto's. That is so true. I love the rarity and exclusivity of the car. Just my opinion of course. Hard to advise you since you currently own a fbody and i havent i guess. One thing i can say i a friendof mine used to have a fbody and to me the interior was not very comfortable at all. I regularly ride with my wife and daughter in the gto and they are plenty comfortable.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:47 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by silver04goat
I regularly ride with my wife and daughter in the gto and they are plenty comfortable.
That's because it's a sedan. Again, not a knock, just the truth. The GTO is a great driver -- which can also be made blazingly fast. However, it's never going to have that "feel" of a dedicated sports platform like the F and Y bodies. I think this is why those of us who had F-bodys before trying the GTO realize it doesn't have the same "feeling."
Old 02-16-2012, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

That's because it's a sedan. Again, not a knock, just the truth. The GTO is a great driver -- which can also be made blazingly fast. However, it's never going to have that "feel" of a dedicated sports platform like the F and Y bodies. I think this is why those of us who had F-bodys before trying the GTO realize it doesn't have the same "feeling."
I guess so. Im getting older (36) so i guess i like the family sports car so to speak. Ten yrs ago maybe i would have been die hard fbody who knows. Pros and cons to both cars just depends on what your looking for now and in the future i guess

Quick Reply: Camaro vs GTO