Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little help please

I could use a little help. I am changing my spark plugs, got the drivers side done, no problem. I am working on getting the coil rail off the passanger side and you guessed it, I can't get anything on that last bolt. I can feel it. I can even see the top of it from just the right angle, but my deep socket hits one of what looks like a coolant line going through the firewall, and I can't seem to get a wrench on it. The next thing I am going to try is tying a string to the 10mm wrench in case I drop it :-) . I have all the plug wires on the passanger side off the coil packs except #8 .

So my Q's are:

what do you use to get on that last bolt
are those coolant lines going into the firewall or are they air lines for the ?heater that I can just take off for clearance?
Any other magic tricks?

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2004, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#6 was the biggest problem for me... I got #8 from the bottom in just a couple of minutes. No need to move the coil pack rail for that.

Oh and if you do want to get that last coil pack bolt, use a 10mm ratcheting gear wrench with a flex-head. Works like a charm... and when you do finally get that bolt off, don't put it back on.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

thank you! From what I've heard #8 is hard to do on stock headers from underneath.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Shouldn't be too difficult for ya... the '98s are impossible to do because of the location of the cats, but the '00s-'02s should be fine. When I did mine, my arm slid in right next to the cat... and my arm is by no means rail thin as I weigh 225lbs.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I used a Snap-on "stubby" 10 mm wrench for the last bolt...it sure was a bitch! Like Tranzor said, don't put it back on!
Old 03-20-2004, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

All done. And I didn't put it back on.

What I've learned:

It can be done
Gear wrench is your friend for that back coil pack rail bolt
put the 6&8 plug wires on the coil pack first, slide the pack rail in, then put 6&8 wires on the plugs <--------- Really makes life easier

Don't over torque coil pack rail bolts..... I didn't put the back one in, and I snapped off the front one...oops 3 bolts should be good :-)

Other than that, keep at it.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rushman
All done. And I didn't put it back on.

What I've learned:

It can be done
Gear wrench is your friend for that back coil pack rail bolt
put the 6&8 plug wires on the coil pack first, slide the pack rail in, then put 6&8 wires on the plugs <--------- Really makes life easier

Don't over torque coil pack rail bolts..... I didn't put the back one in, and I snapped off the front one...oops 3 bolts should be good :-)

Other than that, keep at it.
yea I had a hell of a time trying to get the boot on #8 ..is it true it gets easier with LT's?
Old 03-21-2004, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh yeah, one more thing I learned after my arm got all cut up, push the tree pins that hold the molding to the cowel up :-), saves a ton of skin.