Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch compatibility?

Long story short I have a 93 K1500 5.7tbi/NV4500 that will soon be home to an '05 LQ4. I only have about 15k on the current clutch kit and I was just curious if I can reuse it with my new engine/flywheel? I have searched and pm'd but have yet to find a definitive answer. Any help/input would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

I'm currently running an 02 LM7 with an 06 Silverado flywheel and an SBC clutch kit from RAM.

The SBC clutch/LS flywheel combo required removing some dowels from the flywheel and enlarging some bolt holes on the pressure plate.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Teching In

I believe it will work with a few modifications. You will need to buy a flywheel.I used a Sachs 1050 like this one: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2271&ppt=C0338. The bolts for the flywheel and pressure plate are available at the Chevy dealer. The flywheel has two dowels you will need to drive out due to interference with the pressure plate. The pressure plate has three holes that bolt up to the flywheel just fine. The other three need to be drilled out slightly. You will need to do some careful measuring to figure out the pilot bushing you need. To fit up my T19 I needed a pilot bushing that fit into the larger outer bore of the crank. You may just need the standard one for the small bore. Either way, Novak jeep conversion had what I needed.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Having done this a while ago (SM465 instead of NV4500), it was pretty painless. You'll find out right off the bat, that the flywheel on your sbc is actually thicker than the sachs 1050 flywheel that you'll need for the 6.0. This throws off the geometry a bit for the clutch fork. It 'should' work with the clutch fork at full travel if you don't change anything. I swapped a 465 onto a 5.3, and my clutch fork is at full travel to disengauge (barely enough), but it works. If I had to do it again, I would have gotten an adjustable clutch pivot ball, or made my old ball longer to reset the geometry.

The other issue with putting the clutch from you're 5.7 onto the 6.0 is the size of it. For my 465, I used a standard 12" luk replacement clutch. Not sure if the newer trucks have smaller 11" or not, but I heard they work as well. The issue is with the 6.0 flywheel. The center of the flywheel is cut out more than the sbc flywheel. Instead of a 4" cutout in the center of the flywheel, the 6.0 has more like 6-7" cutout. This means less of the clutch disk is contacting the flywheel. The portion left in the center doesn't do boo since it doesn't contact the flywheel face. I would expect clutch slippage issues, but to date, I haven't had any issues with my sbc 12" clutch setup.

Clutch and flywheel bolts come from GM dealer. Flywheel bolts are torque to yeild, and can only be used once.
Now I'm unsure of the clutch spline on the nv4500, but I'm assuming its 26 spline. If for whatever reason it is a 10 spline, 1 1/8 shaft, you can get the clutch for a 6.0 litre truck. Its almost 12", but had provisions for proper wear and contact pattern on the 6.0 flywheel (go figure). If I had to do it again, this is what I would have done.

As for reusing you're old clutch, well, if you're on a budget, and its in ok shape, then by all means. However, I would purchase a new one and keep it on standby, just incase you get it apart and there is not much left of it. If the old one is fine, then return the new one. However, its best to have a new for obvious reasons.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the input! The NV4500 is a 10 spline 1 1/8" shaft. I think I'll just end up getting a new clutch from a 6.0, It sounds like too much work for not enough savings trying to make my old clutch work. It wasn't a high end clutch to start with so I'm not out much getting a new one anyway. Thanks again
Old 02-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

No problem.
Shop around though. I found the 6.0 clutch to be a little pricey when I was looking. Also I'm assuming you know about the pilot bearing? Its got to come from the same 6.0 truck, or more popularly known as the LS7 bearing; same either way. It will be required to properly support the input shaft on the recessed crackshaft.

Not sure what you're doing for wiring. Check out http://www.lsx-harness.com/
Old 02-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dothedew
No problem.
Shop around though. I found the 6.0 clutch to be a little pricey when I was looking. Also I'm assuming you know about the pilot bearing? Its got to come from the same 6.0 truck, or more popularly known as the LS7 bearing; same either way. It will be required to properly support the input shaft on the recessed crackshaft.

Not sure what you're doing for wiring. Check out http://www.lsx-harness.com/
Yep, I'm finding the same thing, but a few deals can be had here and there I think. I already got the pilot and throwout bearings ordered. I think I have got my wiring sorted out and will be marrying the two harness' into one. (fingers crossed) I can't load that link at work but do they have pretty good prices?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Any updates? Any trouble using the old-style 12" clutch behind a 5.3?
I'm putting a 4.8 married to an SM420 in a 3300 lb old pickup. It may occasionally haul fire wood or gravel up to its half-ton rating. Could even tow something, someday.
Do we think the old style 12" (or 11? or 10.5? ) will do, or that I need to buy the new style 6.0 clutch?
I've seen the 10.5 touted as swap-able but never heard any after the fact experiences...

Quick Reply: Clutch compatibility?