Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Where can I buy mounts for my 9" conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I buy mounts for my 9" conversion?

I have a moser M9 that was on my 80z28, I would like to use it for a 4th gen when I find one. Where can I get the appropriate spring perches and accessories to make it work. Also I understand that this rear is a bit shorter than the stock one, will I run to any problems with that?
Old 02-16-2012, 02:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Well your 80 didn't have a torque arm so I don't know how you'll address that and if the 80 rear is shorter then if it is possible you'll either have to extend the axle tubes and buy axles or possibly use a different backspacing wheel. You would probably have to call moser and see if they would sell just the spring perches but imo by the time you had to buy either 2 new wheels or axles and have yours added, by the spring perches, possibly add abs and if even possible add the torque arm set up you'd have as much in modifying that rearend to work than you could buy a Moser 9" or a MWC set up. Maybe somone else will chime in that has possibly done it. Good Luck.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Ya, I don't imagine the shortened length isn't anything a specific offspec wouldn't take care of, that part I'm not too concerened about as I would most likley be changing the rims anyway. I've already got a couple grand into this rear anyway so if I have to spend a few more hundred to modify it, its not the end of the world. Worst case scenero I go with the new housing and sell this one.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe moser will sell the appropriate brackets and such, give bob@brutespeed a shout. He is a stand up guy and can probably steer you in the right direction.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

don't mean to sound like a ***** but it sounds like more trouble than it's worth
Old 02-18-2012, 02:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VaderZ28
Where can I get the appropriate spring perches and accessories to make it work.
Looking forward to hearing if anyone can answer this question for you! If you would, post the answers to these questions when you get the answer with prices! It would be a good source for someone in the future that would like to build their own axle!

Joe
Old 02-18-2012, 06:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
I believe moser will sell the appropriate brackets and such, give bob@brutespeed a shout. He is a stand up guy and can probably steer you in the right direction.
Thanks, I appreciate it! To modify the M9 (which is Mosers fabricated 9" rear, for those of you reading this who may not know what an M9 is) made for a 2nd gen, to work on a 3rd/4th gen would be quite extensive. Take a look at what I offer below. Bob

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-M9-...dy-Housing.htm
Moser M9 F Body Housing

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-M9-...g-Torq-Arm.htm
Moser M9 F Body Housing and Torque Arm

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-M9-...using-Axle.htm
Moser M9 F Body Housing, Torque Arm and Axle Package

http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-M9-...y-Complete.htm
Moser M9 F Body Housing, Torque Arm, Axle Package and Complete Center Section Package.

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-18-2012, 06:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What mounts are you needing? Talk to Moser or a rep like above that can talk to them about buying just the mounts. They are a good bunch and will support a racer with less than bolt on needs if needed. On the conversion, just about any competent chassis shop should be able to modify the housing to work in a 4th Gen if they have the Moser mounts or you are willing to pay them to fab some. They will need to have the welding experience needed to control warp of the housing; but a lot of these guys do it everyday. Your wheels will need to be selected as you said to match your needs. Before you do anything you should check to see if the housing is wide enough to accept the factory mount locations. I think it will be; but it is for sure something to check first. Another option would be seeing if you could sell the rear to another second gen owner and do the "buy it now" option for a new rear. Yellow Bullet or a forum where there are more 2nd gen guys making big power would be a good market option there. I really applaud you for wanting to or even thinking about tackling something like this. It seems like a lot of the hot rodding world has became a world of "open box and bolt on" thinkers or even worse "open box and pay to have bolted on". In many ways this is great for sake of convenience; but it makes for a lot of cookie cutter builds with not much room for innovation beyond what color something is painted or what accessory is used to ornament.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mr.L88
What mounts are you needing? Talk to Moser or a rep like above that can talk to them about buying just the mounts. They are a good bunch and will support a racer with less than bolt on needs if needed. On the conversion, just about any competent chassis shop should be able to modify the housing to work in a 4th Gen if they have the Moser mounts or you are willing to pay them to fab some. They will need to have the welding experience needed to control warp of the housing; but a lot of these guys do it everyday. Your wheels will need to be selected as you said to match your needs. Before you do anything you should check to see if the housing is wide enough to accept the factory mount locations. I think it will be; but it is for sure something to check first. Another option would be seeing if you could sell the rear to another second gen owner and do the "buy it now" option for a new rear. Yellow Bullet or a forum where there are more 2nd gen guys making big power would be a good market option there. I really applaud you for wanting to or even thinking about tackling something like this. It seems like a lot of the hot rodding world has became a world of "open box and bolt on" thinkers or even worse "open box and pay to have bolted on". In many ways this is great for sake of convenience; but it makes for a lot of cookie cutter builds with not much room for innovation beyond what color something is painted or what accessory is used to ornament.
What he said!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've never done a 4th gen. rear before but it can't be any harder than anything else. Make sure the little bit of length difference isn't gonna be a problem and just do it. If you have to, just cut up an old rear to get the brackets (that sucks though). If you look at the torque arm mounts moser uses there isn't much to them.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

MWC also sells the brackets seperately
Old 03-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

currie sells a kit that has all the mounts for the rear end

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...E.aspx?id=1769
Old 03-06-2012, 02:40 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know of someone that makes the brackets for a 12 bolt? I have a GM 12 bolt laying in the shop. I'd have to do some measuring but i wonder if i could get the mounts and make it work?