Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to do with this motor?

Old 02-16-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default what to do with this motor?

i have an LS6 out of one of my corvette's sitten on an engine stand (removed the motor to replace rear cover gasket and oil pan gasket). I'm trying to decide what to do with it. i have already replace all the seals and put in a cam and supporting mods. i don't want to spend any more money on it but i don't just want to stick it back in the way i took it out. 125k on the bottom end. i think the previous owner beat the **** out of it because all the seals (front crank seal and rear crank seal) were blown when i got it. everything is good, passes leak down tests, compression is ok considering the large cam. only thing is the oil has a slight glitter to it. been that way since i bought it. im sure its a bearing wearing out but i still have good oil pressure hot and cold. what should i do?

pull the crank and mic it? new rings and a hone? new main bearings? new rod bearings? new cam bearings?

don't say bore and stoke, **** off with that.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You could do a cheap stroker crank with matching rods and pistons. A small .005 overbore to cleanup the bores should be perfect.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redtan
You could do a cheap stroker crank with matching rods and pistons. A small .005 overbore to cleanup the bores should be perfect.
im guessing your suggestion is based on my don't mention a bore and stroke comment... im cool with spending $300 but not $900
Old 02-16-2012, 11:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As long as the engine is out, I would definitely check the lower assy/pull apart the rod bearings, cranks, mains. The crank may need polishing, or more.
Replace the bearings, bolts & check bearing clearances.
Sounds like the heads are on? If so, you can check the cam bearings without removing the heads. Disassenble the valve train, and rotate the cam to push the lifters up. Then remove cam & inspect bearings for proper placement, & condition.
A good flashlight will expose cam bearing faults (even the rear bearing).
Old 02-17-2012, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Heads are off.

Search this Thread