Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

What all can I salvage off the donor car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What all can I salvage off the donor car?

My wife just inherited a 67 camaro convertible with only one rule, it needs to stay in the family so I got me an awesome new project (always loved the first gens!). The car spent half its life in hawaii and the remainder in kentucky. Needless to say, I'm ***** deep in body work right now. Engine WAS a mid 70's 6cyl, but I've decided to go with an ls1 so the old lady can have a fuel injected reliable classic with decent mpg. The plan is to get a 98-02 camaro for my donor, originally I was planning on taking just the eng/trans, seats and some other interior odds and ends, but now I'm seeing that even the brakes can be used in the 67 with some minor mods. My question is, what else can I transfer from the donor car to the 67 to save me from shopping around for brand new stuff, suspension? rear end? Etc? Keep in mind this is just going to be a reliable driver, not some 500hp beast(tho I'd love to go that route!) Any info would be much appreciated I know there are quite a few brilliant minds on this forum. Thanks!
-Shawn-
Attached Thumbnails What all can I salvage off the donor car?-1.jpg  
Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually use the following off a donor car:

engine- complete(access, MAF, PS lines, etc)
trans complete (w/lines if auto, w/hydraulics if 6spd)
radiator & fans
wiring harness
ECM
brakes
front seats
center console & shifter
Old 02-18-2012, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Not 100% on what all is needed for the rear brakes...I think you need 2 lefts or 2 rights....then you have staggered shocks so they might fit as-is ?
I would get everything you can unbolt and store until you're done

You should also check out http://www.camaros.net/forums/ for more specific help that's more detailed to your car....now be warned there are some "keep it original" guys over there.... but only a few....I have the same SN over there too.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the info, ill register @ camaros as well
Old 02-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Launching!

could use the dash too. i done a 69 nova with a trans am donor and cut the stock nova dash out and the ta dash was a dead nuts fit width wise. u will have to do some upper dash panel trimming and maybe a lil fabbing close to the windshield. also used the column and its like driving a trans am but its a nova lol everything works just like the trans am did!!!!!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:17 AM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

i wouldnt touch the rear end, i would find a rear end from a late 70's early 80 model camaro or trans am... most come with stock disc brakes and isnt a huge pain to hook up also dam near bullet proof if built right

Quick Reply: What all can I salvage off the donor car?