Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Gm and Flepro head gaskets and bolts much the same thing, or is their better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Gm and Flepro head gaskets and bolts much the same thing, or is their better?

Anyone done a head gasket recently.

I was looking at doing my head gaskets soon and was thinking with Felpro or GM gasket and bolts.

I don't want to be machining the heads of i can help it.

I'm changing them out due a an internal coolant leak, (assumed) ?

Are Gm and Flepro head gaskets and bolts much the same thing, or is their better?
Old 02-17-2012, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

My dad is a mechanic and every aluminum head that ever came off an engine and was reinstalled without surfacing (due to customer demand that it was a waste of $$) has leaked.

It's well worth the $40-50 machine cost to not have to buy gaskets, bolts, and labor again.

I have used Fel Pro ls1 head gaskets twice with good success. I can't remember if my bolts were felpro the first time or not...I now run ARP because they are reusable.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about the resurfacing need....unless you are making BIG power with extreme cylinder pressures i doubt very seriously in the point of it. More times than not a leak from a replaced gasket is from improper torquing or improper cleaning of the surface mating area. Not saying thunderstruck's dad is a bad mechanic though! The MLS gaskets we run are far advanced and more forgiving than the old school gaskets we grew up around.

As for the gaskets/bolts they are pretty much the same. I'd highly recommend just doing the LS9 head gaskets. They are proven excellent performers.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with thunderstruck, you really do need to re surface the heads before installation. if you don't "most" will leak and that is unacceptable. whats the saying its cheaper to do it right the first time than to do it over a second time. as far as the head gaskets go i have been using the blue felpro head gaskets and they seem to work well as long as you resurface the heads before installation. i put a set on with the felpro "real world" green/blue head gasket that is supposed to work with a less than perfect mating surface. I didn't resurface the heads just cleaned them up with scotch bright... they leaked.
Bolts... ARP are reusable and pricey but a good product. Felpro is the GM factory bolts, victor reynes jr. also makes head bolts for GM. i just pick mine up at the dealer about $50 buck for all the head bolts
Old 02-17-2012, 02:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
I agree with thunderstruck, you really do need to re surface the heads before installation. if you don't "most" will leak and that is unacceptable. whats the saying its cheaper to do it right the first time than to do it over a second time. as far as the head gaskets go i have been using the blue felpro head gaskets and they seem to work well as long as you resurface the heads before installation. i put a set on with the felpro "real world" green/blue head gasket that is supposed to work with a less than perfect mating surface. I didn't resurface the heads just cleaned them up with scotch bright... they leaked.
I guess Everyone i've known to mess around with MLS heads on LS motors are just stupid-lucky!

Hell, in a pinch, we've re-used a head gasket at the track, lol. I DO NOT recommend this!
Old 02-17-2012, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

do it once or do it twice. your call. not saying it will leak but is it really worth the gamble if it does
Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Teching In

OK, so resurfacing seems a better option, I will go with that.

Is there anything else I can do to the engine with the heads of, for improvements?

Would you also resurface the exhaust manifold as well ?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I like the Fel-Pro Perma-Torque MLS head gaskets. They are designed to be more forgiving.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:05 AM
Launching!

We always resurface heads when replacing blown headgaskets, if a head is slightly warped it will leak no matter what gasket you put in, by resurfacing you can get that slight warpe taken out, other wise you could just give it a clean with some wet an dry, personally I send everyone I do off to be checked and resurfaced, for the small cost it's 1: piece of mind that there ok and 2: if there that bad you'll know and will save a customer coming back and having to redo the job.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:56 AM
Teching In

Would you also resurface the exhaust manifold as well ? as there is some exhaust leakage there as well.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have use both the felpro and gm mls gaskets and they have worked fine for me. last time i did a set of heads they were low mile 243's and i just cleaned them up and threw them on and so far so good they dont leak and the car makes great power however I feel it is always safe to have them shaved to be sure

Quick Reply: Are Gm and Flepro head gaskets and bolts much the same thing, or is their better?