Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pressure issues.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure issues.

Heres the issue...00' WS6. Driving to0 work one day and my car starts studdering. I pull over and the car dies. It starts right back up and I continue on my way with everything normal. Within 5 minutes it starts studdering again and I pull over and start turning around. Car studders but eventually I get it up to about 60 mph and its fine. After another 5 minutes at 60 it does it again and I pump the gas trying to get the RPMs up. It revs up about 100-200 rpms as I pump but its not enough and eventually I have to pull over to the side of the road as my car dies again. This tiime it starts hard but fires up and I can rev it high (5000 rpms) but it dies out immediatley. I notice my fuel pressure gauge is now reading about 20 psi (normally about 55-60). I immediatley think fuel pump bad and have my car towed home. But the question keeps popping up in my mind if the fuel pump is bad I shouldn't be able to start it at all right? Plus when I turn the key on I can hear it (barely) kick on and run for a second. Could it be the filter is clogged (changed it about 7000 miles ago). Or can it still be the pump? Thanks for any and all help. 110,000 miles and Im sure its the original pump. No check engine light.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Any help?
Old 03-01-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the security light come on at all after the motor is running? Also have you checked for any leaks? Because thats a lot of pressure loss.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

do you have all factory fuel parts and etc? if so , you should be able to turn the key to run and I think you said you have a fuel pressure gauge...well it should go up to ~55psi and then stay there. if it falls off, somethings not working right.

if you changed the fuel filter...you should be good on that. relay or electrical contact issues? or the pump like you have said. check the different connection blocks at the fuse blocks and at the connection block under the car just in front of the rear axle. look for black marks or melted plastic
Old 03-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Teching In

No security light and no leaks. I will look at all the connections though. Thanks
Old 03-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Im having almost the same issue. Car hard starts, after stalls. Once I prime the pump get it moving or keep the revs up my fuel delivery stays but if I let off the gas or idle It dies. I check the pressure and its 0,once it dies. Funny thing is if I can get it on the highway im good for till I let off the gas.Checked all my sensors Maf ,AIT,02s
<.Ive already ordered a new sender Unit with Pump and Regulator
<.If this doesnt work Ill go thru and pull my injectors
<.Still nothting then Ill be Probably be checking wiring over again.

I will post a update. Takes about a week from ebay. Ill have it going in less than a day since I have a trap door to the tank.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Got a new pump and regulator it fixed my problem.

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure issues.