Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Checkered racing suspension review 69 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checkered racing suspension review 69 camaro

I could not find any reviews regarding checkered racing front suspension setup before I bought it and so I really took a chance. It is by far one of the least expensive front clips for the 67,68,69 camaro. So here is my take on it.

Price: 2,295
Product :Complete front sub frame with disc brakes and coil overs

Customer service: Do not call the phone number on the website. nobody will call you back or answer.

I ordered from Don Fuller (R and R racing) (502)314-3984 and what an awesome guy and great customer service. Don actually got me in contact with the owner right on the spot when he couldn't answer a question. Don called me back on weekends and answered the phone even late at night. Honestly I couldn't have been happier with the customer service.

Front suspension description:
Overall the design of the clip was well done and welds on the front clip are beautiful.
Coil overs: The coil overs are QAL and springs are powder coated silver. the A arms are cheaply painted gloss black.

Brakes: The brakes are standard single piston gm calipers. optional willwood are available and im actually upset i didnt pay extra for them cause the price was really good. The rotors are drilled and slotted.

steering: the rack is a ford OE thunderbird rack

The sway bar: is actually really well done however is painted black.

The mounts: This was the downfall of this setup. the mounts that came with the kit are solid body mounts which I did not care for. The bad part is that in order to fit standard 69 body mounts you have to enlarge the holes on the sub frame to get the bushings to fit.. photos below.

Engine mounts: NO LS mount available with this kit, only big or small block available. The motor mounts have to be welded in by the user. Also The mount is a solid mount setup so I had to purchase an additional energy suspension small block chevy mount to get away from the solid.

Overall the price shipping and customer service were right on the money.

Shipping: 250 to a business

I would purchase this setup again, however I would ask to see if I could have the mounts drilled for standard mounts. I searched around and it is very difficult to find something that competes with this clip in the same price range.

SOLID MOUNT HOLE AND STANDARD BUSHING (ORDERED SEPERATE)

THE FINISHED HOLE I DRILLED
Name:  IMG_0111.jpg
Views: 3020
Size:  69.6 KB
THE NOTCH IS REQUIRED FOR THE BUSHING TO SIT STRAIGHT.
Name:  IMG_0137.jpg
Views: 3007
Size:  100.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0164.jpg
Views: 3883
Size:  120.3 KB
Old 02-19-2012, 06:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Looks good....nice welds too.
I would think fitment would be better finished ? (no notching/drilling needed by installer)
Old 02-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Teching In

I don't doubt that they would set it up for the user for rubber mounts. I think he makes them out of solid as default. I did not ask though, because nobody had written a review.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Teching In

I am looking to buy one of these for the 69 camaro I am building. I have a couple questions. What did you do for sway bar and what type does it use since it is based on mustang 2 setup and also will the stock ls1 oil pan work with this frame eliminating the need to buy an autokraft pan?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:52 PM
Teching In

As for away bar: I added that option through them for about 100 bucks.. You see it will not come with the brackets for a sway bar. So after fabricating brackets and the price of the sway bar, that's after shopping around for one that may work I figured it was defiantly worth the cost. That guy I mentioned above. Donny fuller will pretty much hook you up with anything. If you want an aftermarket one. Ask to see which one will work. I can add photos of mine if you interested in seein their work... On the oil pan. I'm running a stock ls3 corvette oil pan and it worked out fine. Send a few pics of your oil pan and I can give you my best guess as to whether it will work.
Here's something else. Since you weld in the motor mounts you can really use almost any pan. You have about 6 inches of vertical adjustment to play with.. I just googled an ls1 f body pan and in my opinion it would work.. 99.9 % sure.. Lol
Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Teching In

yeah please post some pics of the sway bar. I talked to the guy at checkered and he said the pan would work. We are looking to get one soon for our car. If you had to do it over again would you go this route?
Old 02-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Hey I did the exact same searched around and ended up with the checkered racing unit. Here is a pic as I received it on the pallet. I did go with chrome rack, 13" brake kit wilwood and sway bar mine was painted hammer tone grey.

Only question I have is what are you doing for the ebake pas through on the frame?

thanks,
Jim
Old 03-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Do the control arms seem to be rigid enough to handle any hard cornering. I may autocross the car once a year, just want to make sure it can hold up to whatever i want to do. Thanks
Old 07-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Teching In

I honestly feel like the everything is really sturdy and will hold up to any beating you can put it through.. I have not put it to the test, but the welds are solid, the metal is thick and the olnly thing this kit dosnt have is the look of an expensive unit...
Old 07-12-2013, 07:32 AM

Default Checkered Racing

I think that now when you call checkered Racing at 317-388-9239 from 9:00am-7:00pm ET 7 days a week you will find you get the call answered or returned in a timely manner. Just about anything they sell can be modified to your needs before shipping, many times at no extra cost.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Still happy with it???
Old 01-22-2014, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

I bought this same product for my car and its been a huge pain in the ***.

I plan on calling checkered racing this week about this exact kit.
I was looking online to get their number when I came across this thread.

I bought this from them at Super Chevy here in Memphis Tn. this summer.
At first glance I was amazed by how well this looked ( esp the welds! ). There was the extra clearance for exhaust and the coil overs and power rack n pinion wall of which I was trying to get worked out for my 67 Camaro build. This one product took care of all of my issues SEEMED LIKE.

Shortly after getting this home we started to hit minor issues.
I opted out on the brakes because I knew I'd be running bigger, they told me of no wilwood upgrade kit at the time of purchase or I would have gotten them to. Their loss I guess.
They didn't include my sway bar - First time we called them they acted like we didn't pay for it. But the price I payed at the show without brakes was the same they sell on the website with brakes - how much sense does that make? Then they said it was an upgrade only... who buys something like this without the specific to the application sway bar?
They sold me a front end setup for a manual rack n pinion and not a power rack and pinion. - Not a huge deal just adapted their setup to make it work.

Now for the big problem where I am at now - it doesn't fit right. Yup you guessed it. It is way off. We put it in to mock up the LS motor mounts ( solid ) before sending off to powder coating and it just plain didn't look right. ( Forgot to mention we had to use a porta-power to to get the rear bolt holes to line up. So we decided to swing the front cap back on their. Front cap is painted and ready to go - was painted on the original front sub frame before I purchased this. The body/paint guy lined up all the panels and shims and then we bagged and tagged everything hoping to only have to put it on when everything was done. The Checkered Racing sub frame hangs down almost 3/4 of an inch lower then the mounts WITH the rubber grommet in. When The shop owner originally called then , he explained to me the guy on the phone was very quick to blame him for improper installation and then finally said that the body needed to settle now and for us to let it sit or something to that extent. The shop owner was very put off by how unprofessional they talked to him over the phone , which is why I am going to take care of it this time.
Attached Thumbnails Checkered racing suspension review 69 camaro-crfc6.jpg   Checkered racing suspension review 69 camaro-crfc5.jpg   Checkered racing suspension review 69 camaro-crfc3.jpg   Checkered racing suspension review 69 camaro-camaro671.jpg   Checkered racing suspension review 69 camaro-crfc2.jpg  

Last edited by 3rdgentug; 01-22-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Checkered racing suspension review 69 camaro