Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 cam differences, early vs late

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls6 cam differences, early vs late

I understand the lift difference between the 01 ls6 cam and the later version. I also understand the 243 heads had longer valve stems to make up for a smaller base circle on these later model cams.

My question is, did the 2001 LS6 cam (with 525/525 lift) also have a smaller base circle?
Or is it just the newer, higher lift version?

I've read the pushrods length debate and don't want to start another.
I will be using a 01 ls6 cam with ls1 heads. I will check for correct length pushrods.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1970fbody
My question is, did the 2001 LS6 cam (with 525/525 lift) also have a smaller base circle?
Or is it just the newer, higher lift version?
No, to my knowledge, the 2001 LS6 cam used the same base circle as the LS1 cam since the valve train uses the same valves, rockers, and push rods.

It is also my understanding that the 2002 to 2004 LS6 cam used a smaller base circle, but the same length push rods and the same rocks as the LS1. They just made the valves longer to compensate for the smaller base circle since the valves were custom to the LS6 anyway. There was no sense in making a custom cam, custom valves AND custom push rods if they didn't need to, so they just made the valves longer.

Also, I thought the 2001 LS6 cam was a .524/.524 lift? Not that you're not just splitting hairs at that point.

Kurt
Old 02-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kmetros
No, to my knowledge, the 2001 LS6 cam used the same base circle as the LS1 cam since the valve train uses the same valves, rockers, and push rods.

It is also my understanding that the 2002 to 2004 LS6 cam used a smaller base circle, but the same length push rods and the same rocks as the LS1. They just made the valves longer to compensate for the smaller base circle since the valves were custom to the LS6 anyway. There was no sense in making a custom cam, custom valves AND custom push rods if they didn't need to, so they just made the valves longer.

Also, I thought the 2001 LS6 cam was a .524/.524 lift? Not that you're not just splitting hairs at that point.

Kurt
Ok, that makes sense on the other valve train parts.

The specs could be .524".....I never measured. I got that info off chevythunder.com.
They list part numbers, specs, years used and engine used in for cams, ecm, intakes, heads(with valve and chamber specs) and a lot of detailed info. Good site.

Quick Reply: ls6 cam differences, early vs late