Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight to power factor of E-Cutouts vs True duals worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Weight to power factor of E-Cutouts vs True duals worth it?

Is it worth running True duals on a daily driver over a stock exhaust with electric cutouts before the Y pipe?

Anyone know the weight difference between a true dual setup and a stock exhaust?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me it is. If done right duals will weigh less than stock. With the cutouts you gain the freer flow but lose any scavenging
Old 02-20-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
To me it is. If done right duals will weigh less than stock. With the cutouts you gain the freer flow but lose any scavenging
How could TD's weight less than a y pipe?
Old 02-20-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pick up an SLP dual dual or gmmg and then pick up some TSP tds. Big difference
Old 02-20-2012, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Are we talking about dumped duals, or all the way out the back?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Banned

The thing is i hear True duals are very annoying to daily with. I would only consider it if there was a huge difference in weight from True duals over a stock exhaust system.

Anyone know how much a stock exhaust system weighs?

Originally Posted by z-camaro
Are we talking about dumped duals, or all the way out the back?
Yes, dumped.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

For example a gmmg weighs 70 pounds, the TSP duals aren't even 40
Old 02-20-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes dumps are light. My kooks wieght 60 which aint bad for 3 inch ss over axle out the back.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

IMHO open headers sound like crap. A nice x pipe system sounds great. I wouldn't even care about the weight of it. Just hate open headers
Old 02-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1BAD02WS6
IMHO open headers sound like crap. A nice x pipe system sounds great. I wouldn't even care about the weight of it. Just hate open headers
idgaf about the sound, i care about performance. Which ever of the 2 perform best i would lean more towards it.

I've heard from several members on here that daily driving with True duals is annoying, i can somewhat see how it would be. Which is why i like the idea of stock exhaust with electric Cutouts before the y-pipe. But ive also heard a stock exhaust weighs alot more than a true dual dump setup. Which is why i want to know the weight difference between the two.

Anyone with first hand experience chime in on how it is to daily a car with true dual dumps?
Old 02-20-2012, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adamantium
idgaf about the sound, i care about performance. Which ever of the 2 perform best i would lean more towards it.

I've heard from several members on here that daily driving with True duals is annoying, i can somewhat see how it would be. Which is why i like the idea of stock exhaust with electric Cutouts before the y-pipe. But ive also heard a stock exhaust weighs alot more than a true dual dump setup. Which is why i want to know the weight difference between the two.

Anyone with first hand experience chime in on how it is to daily a car with true dual dumps?
so you dont car how your car sounds?!?! So if it sounds loke **** its fine?
Old 02-20-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive driven my friends 234/242 111LSA car with dumped duals and it wasn't bad at all. Idk why you are still asking about weight, stock exhaust weighs at least 40 lbs, duals weigh less
Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

I have daily driven with true duels, I didn't mind it. The only time I found it annoying was on long highway trips.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Pick up an SLP dual dual or gmmg and then pick up some TSP tds. Big difference
With duals you need two mufflers thats why I thought it was heavier. Never had duals thought, always y pipes.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For example a gmmg weighs 70 pounds, the TSP duals aren't even 40
Yes. But it's not like that 30 pounds or so is enough to actually make a noticeable difference in performance. For a daily driver, I would definitely stay away from TD dumps. Every one of those setups that I have heard in person were ridiculously loud, resonate terrible, some even have ground clearance issues. So, I personally don't think that the weight savings you get are worth it. I would do a quality catback and Y.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:04 PM
10 Second Club

I run td's for 3months dding the car 110 miles a day and couldnt get that loud bad *** sounding exhaust off my **** fast enough. Im back to running tsp oryp and hooker cb again and I am very thankful...
Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
I run td's for 3months dding the car 110 miles a day and couldnt get that loud bad *** sounding exhaust off my **** fast enough. Im back to running tsp oryp and hooker cb again and I am very thankful...

Originally Posted by 1BAD02WS6
I have daily driven with true duels, I didn't mind it. The only time I found it annoying was on long highway trips.
Ive driven my friends 234/242 111LSA car with dumped duals and it wasn't bad at all. Idk why you are still asking about weight, stock exhaust weighs at least 40 lbs, duals weigh less
They sound so badass but id get so mad if i spent my money on something im going to get tired off. I hardly ever do any highway driving. still undecided.

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
With duals you need two mufflers thats why I thought it was heavier. Never had duals thought, always y pipes.
They are bullet style mufflers not full sized mufflers and its dumped not a full exhaust.

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Yes. But it's not like that 30 pounds or so is enough to actually make a noticeable difference in performance. For a daily driver, I would definitely stay away from TD dumps. Every one of those setups that I have heard in person were ridiculously loud, resonate terrible, some even have ground clearance issues. So, I personally don't think that the weight savings you get are worth it. I would do a quality catback and Y.
I saw the Pat-g thread i liked what he did with that burns style y pipe, that is probably the only y pipe id ever consider running on these cars with an electric cutout after the y, instead of before to help scavenging.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Then buy a good true dual and never change it. So you dont spend more money in the long run.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Captain Double Post

no y pipe setup even compares to the sound of true duals, i have had so many catbacks and they all suck,magnaflow was good but way to quiet , borla and gmmg was the best imo but duals sound better in every way,with them dumped you will get alot of drone, they are loud but it really depends on the setupyou go with, i know for a fact i will never have a y pipe on my car again, everywhere i go someone tells me how badass it sounds, i have alsohad alot o f body guys tell me i have never heard a 4th gen sound so good, with my cam and mods i felt a sotp feel over a catback,
Old 02-20-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
Same boat, had QTP LT's into TSP duals with spiral flows on my 2000 a few years ago. Sounded amazing but they only lasted the summer. As soon as the car went into storage they came off the car, and on went a TSP Y and Magnaflow catback. I only drove about 20-50 miles a day maybe. Too much interior resonance, couldnt use my phone or talk to anyone hardly. This was only a bolt on car, a cam would be much worse. Some minor clearance issues with people in the back. It wasnt worth the negatives to me to save what maybe 25-30 pounds? Horsepower difference is negligible too, unless you are a hardcore racer looking for every hundredth you can scrape up. Im in the market for another Fbody and I assure you it will not have dumped duals on it lol.

Quick Reply: Weight to power factor of E-Cutouts vs True duals worth it?