Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low mount a/c compressor

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default low mount a/c compressor

I have a 71 camaro with a stock subframe. I am thinking about mounting an a/c compressor low. Does anyone know of some that sells a kit to do this on an LS motor? I will have to notch my subframe. I am curious as to how the belt works, is the comressor on its on belt driven off the crank pulley?

Doesn't have to be a camaro but if anyone has pics of their compressor mounted in the low position that would be great.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Street and Performance sells a low mount compressor mount that does not require notching the crossmember. It mounts the Sanden compressor and drives off of the same belt that drives all the other accessories, not the rear belt like the OEM compressor does. I have used this mount on 2 of my cars, and the only downside, is that a spring loaded tensioner will not supply sufficent force to keep from "chirping" the belt. I switched to a K-tech tensioner, and the problem was resolved.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 02-20-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Street and Performance sells a low mount compressor mount that does not require notching the crossmember. It mounts the Sanden compressor and drives off of the same belt that drives all the other accessories, not the rear belt like the OEM compressor does. I have used this mount on 2 of my cars, and the only downside, is that a spring loaded tensioner will not supply sufficent force to keep from "chirping" the belt. I switched to a K-tech tensioner, and the problem was resolved.

Regards, John McGraw
The one on page 84 here?

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/2010%20PDF%...g2010main.html
Old 02-20-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Just a suggestion - I don't know what accessory spacing you're running, but it looks like the 2009-12 CTS-V A/C compressor is really small. I don't know exactly where your fitment issue is (height, width, etc) but if it's close then it might get you there. The whole kit (Compressor, mount, brackets, belt, belt install tool) is about $285 shipped. I am going to order one in the next couple weeks.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my issue is that i have a maggy SC on this motor, so i want to run the a/c on it's own belt, this will help with belt slip which i am having.

looking to do something like this:

http://www.lateral-g.net/tech_articles/LS7_install/
Old 02-20-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by edge04
my issue is that i have a maggy SC on this motor, so i want to run the a/c on it's own belt, this will help with belt slip which i am having.

looking to do something like this:

http://www.lateral-g.net/tech_articles/LS7_install/
Well that definitely rules out the S&P setup, as all accy's run on one belt...
Old 02-20-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ I was looking at the one in their catalog here on page 84

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/2010%20PDF%...g2010main.html
Old 02-21-2012, 01:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the same situation with my LQ9 an MP112. I sent S&P an email a week ago, but received no response. I hadn't seen this option and was resigned to fabricating something on my own.

This looks like a good option, but I could do without the bling. Seems a little pricey, but should still get me cold breeze for under $1k.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

H&H Classic used to list a bracket, cant find it now though. Contact them.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cts-v

Does anyone know if the ctsv compressor has to be controlled by the bcm or is the standard two wire control?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

The CTS-V runs on its own A/C belt, just like most of the other LS-based engines except the LS9. I have no idea what the LS9 does for A/C. I think you can use the LSA compressor if you have the Corvette accessory spacing, which is also found on the Cadillac CTS-V (2004-2012) and the Pontiac G8. If you have F-body, GTO, or truck accessories, I don't think it will work.

That picture from the Lateral-g website shows the A/C belt out in front of the A/C belt - I've never seen one like that before!

GM sells the LSA A/C compressor kit out of their GM Performance Parts catalog, so I am hoping that they made it work with a single on-off wire (one power and one ground.) I have not gotten my hands on the wiring diagram yet, so I am not 100% sure. Worst case, you could probably make the compressor cycle with a high pressure switch.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Teching In

I am using the LS1 crate motor from a Corvette. The spacing on the harmonic balancer allows the use of a low mount A/C set up from a 2011 Grand Sport with a LS3. ( I know this from measuring a friends car) Don't know when the Corvette went to low mount A/C , but this a/c belt runs off the rear of the balancer. This set up wont work for the F-body as the harmonic balancer sits farther forward than the Corvette Y-body.

Now all we need is the low mount alternator set up for the same balancer. (drivers side) (Corvette).
Old 02-21-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am hoping that movig the compressor forward and running the belt in front will remove having to notch my subframe.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pdlightning
Now all we need is the low mount alternator set up for the same balancer. (drivers side) (Corvette).
The 2008-2009 G8 run Corvette spacing (so you can use the Corvette crank pulley) but have a low-mount alternator and high-mount PS pump. The 2004-2007 CTS-V has pretty much the same setup, also using the Corvette crank pulley.

I think all LS-based engines have the low-mount A/C compressor. I am not sure about the FWD cars and the LS9 though.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Where does the subframe interfere? Does the compressor need to go up, forward, etc?

I ordered the LSA A/C compressor kit today. It should be here in a couple weeks. If you want, I can take some pics so you can see what it looks like installed. It might work for your setup.

Originally Posted by edge04
I am hoping that movig the compressor forward and running the belt in front will remove having to notch my subframe.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Don't know if it will help but I noticed Billet Specialties makes a couple setups. Ill be going this route in the end most likely. BTW, very nice set up with the Camaro. I'm wanting to go with a Maggie myself.

David

http://http://www.billetspecialties.com/item.asp?cid=32&scid=285&pid=849

Scratch that. Just noticed its single belt. Subscribing here. Curious as to your solution since I'll be in same boat.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Not sure if you are still looking, but I have the AC compressor and mounting bracket from a 2007 CTS-V LS2 with 27K miles. I had to purchase a sanden style compressor to bring mine up to the top for a '67 corvette restomod project. It does run on a separate belt, etc. If interested let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by shoshorton; 04-10-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have lots of realestate in front of the subframe between the rad and engine. I plan on making some brackets that will weld to the sub frame and mount the compressor there and run it off the rear crank pulley. Looks like a standard sanden compressor will work but I may look to run a smaller one like the CTS one or Hondas and WRX' come with really small ones.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Take a look at the Alan Grove, bottom of the page under LS1...

http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/LS.htm

T,
Old 04-10-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

I just did some experimentation. The truck A/C compressor through the late 2000's is very short. It fits (with slight modification) in the 2009-2012 Cadillac CTS-V A/C compressor mount. When mounted in the CTS-V mount, the truck compressor lines up perfectly with the A/C belt on the Corvette accessories. If you want to, you can cut off a lot of the CTS-V bracket - it sticks out behind the back of the truck A/C compressor.

Also noteworthy is that the truck A/C compressor is only held on with 3 bolts when mounted in the CTS-V bracket. It has two bolts in the front and one in the back. Don't worry about this - a lot of GM A/C compressors are mounted like this with only 3 bolts.

You gain about 1.5 inches of clearance at the back of the compressor by switching from the Cadillac compressor to the truck compressor.

Quick Reply: low mount a/c compressor