Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Meth injection..Pre Turbo or Post turbo??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Meth injection..Pre Turbo or Post turbo??

Ok seems alot of people especially on the bullet seem to be dumping there meth into the inlet or right into the scroll of the cold side turbo housing. Seems to maximize atomization and help with turbo deficiancies and make if shift a little left into the compressor map if your on the edge of maxing out your turbo.

can some one with lots of meth (i plan on 100% alky M1) explain to me these theroies and were i should exactly mount a well placed nozzle. Im going for maximum cooling benafit over adding it for additional fuel.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Injecting water or meth pre turbo keep the air cooler whilst the turbo is compressing it. This helps increase the efficency of the turbo even when you push the turbo to its limits (work the same with centri blowers as well).

One thing to think about is the overall energy held in the intake air. assuming the turbo is in its efficeny range then spraying meth (or water) pre turbo will still result in cooler tempsat the outlet to the compressor. HOWEVER i think that the orverall enery contain in the air will be very similar to that of boosted only air. Now when you pass the air through the IC there is going to be less temp diff between the ambient air and that of the boosted air. This is going to reduce the efficeny of the IC. This kidda makes me think its better to let the turbo heat the air up, then use the IC to pull temps down and then spray meth to help get super cool IATs. Could be wrong but thats the logic in my head! lol

Chris.

PS. obviously if you are not running any intercooling then the pre compresosor injection might be worth while.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

in some classes its also not legal
Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

I run in the street race class so any trickery is legal haha. And any track days will just be test and tune no class racing. yes i am running a large A2A Intercooler.

So lets get some ideas on good places to put the nozzle
Old 02-21-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

somewhere where the bov is not upwind of the hot exhaust
Old 02-21-2012, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Yea im glad you said that. I didnt think about the alchahol being dumped into my engine bay through the bov. Right near super heated turbo parts. I didnt finish up the cold side yet. Ill be putting the bov in the fender well or front bumper some were.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

not trying to scare you away, but it could happen.. ask the guys over there what they do
Old 02-21-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How bout 50% before turbo, 50% after turbo?

Take the benefit of both.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Google "wet compression" lots of good reading
Old 02-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Launching!

I would think, you would gain the most by spraying downstream of the turbo and the intercooler. Let the intercooler do its work and then cool the air down even more.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

i read: water not methanol
i read: patented (the gonna sue you *** if you do it)
i read: successful at pressures starting at 5:1 (that's 5 bar)
i read: successful at temperatures at 1000+

what am i missing? this is all new to me and i wouldn't mind understanding if anything made sense.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Yea i read up on wet compression i think that is far beyond what i am trying to acheive. This post def went a few different directions with the original question though i did get some good advice from MM. I was debating the 50/50 deal but im starting to wonder what the alchahol will do to the aluminum compressor blades and how hard it is on the compressor wheel dumping liquid on them at 60k rpm
Old 02-21-2012, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're not dumping a heavy stream of liquid on the blades. Its a very fine mist and plenty of people are spraying before and after the turbo/supercharger. As was said earlier, you can cool the turbo's incoming air by installing a nozzle before the turbo, then install another nozzle (or two) before the throttle body. I'm going to use AIS trunk mount system installed as described above.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Any link to that system?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Look at some of the pulling tractors. Some of those have 3-5 nozzles on the inlets of each turbo. It's always been debated if I will hurt it or not. But it's a fine mist, and not a whole lot either. If u need to run alot, than I think the 50/50 idea would be killer. It can take alot of the heat out and then the intercooler will do it's job, plus another nozzle before the tb
Old 02-21-2012, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by yoshgixxer
Any link to that system?
Let me find it.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yoshgixxer, go to www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com and look up their trunk mount system. You can get the system with two or three nozzles for injecting the meth before the turbo/supercharger and before the TB. This system, IIRC was feature recently in GM High-Tech.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got off the phone with AIS last night. Let me first say whoever I spoke with was AWESOME. I figured with my power a progressive stage 2 kit was a no brainer but he told me a stage 1 would suit my needs. He recommended a tri nozzle system with all braided lines. Put one nozzle directly before the compressor inlet to cool the air a bit prior to the intercooler. Then put the other two prior to the throttle body. Basically he told me thats the most efficient way and should net IAT's around ambient. He also said with the testing they did 100% meth did not provide the best results. They found a mix of 80/20 meth to water was the best but 100% meth would be perfectly fine if you didnt feel like dealing with the mix.

Just wanted to pass that info along. I am about to order their kit right now. If you have any questions please call them some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I just got off the phone with AIS last night. Let me first say whoever I spoke with was AWESOME. I figured with my power a progressive stage 2 kit was a no brainer but he told me a stage 1 would suit my needs. He recommended a tri nozzle system with all braided lines. Put one nozzle directly before the compressor inlet to cool the air a bit prior to the intercooler. Then put the other two prior to the throttle body. Basically he told me thats the most efficient way and should net IAT's around ambient. He also said with the testing they did 100% meth did not provide the best results. They found a mix of 80/20 meth to water was the best but 100% meth would be perfectly fine if you didnt feel like dealing with the mix.

Just wanted to pass that info along. I am about to order their kit right now. If you have any questions please call them some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with.
I am sure you spoke with Rodney at Alcohol Injections Systems, he is awesome.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Yea i was creepin there website. Looks like all nice stuff. Price seems good too for there trunk mount kits. I should have enough room in my trunk for a one gallon cell. Ill be ordering my meth kit on friday and pruobably going with these guys

Quick Reply: Meth injection..Pre Turbo or Post turbo??