Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Old to Hot Rodding....New to LS1

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old to Hot Rodding....New to LS1

Well, I've been browsing this forum for a while and now it's time to get with it.

I have an '02 SS that has been my toy for a while, that is until yesterday. long story short: I drove it Friday around Houston without a problem. I went to start it yesterday and it felt like I was in an earthquake. The result is a big oil spill in the driveway. While my insurance company sorts out whether or not this is an act of vandalism I'm in the process of contacting speed shops on options.

One recommendation was to go with the LQ4/LQ9 and top it with 243 heads.

Another was to stroke the LS1 to a 383.

My goal? An ambitious 500HP at the flywheel.

At the moment that car is all stock.

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Go with option 1, 6.0 with cam, 243s, and supporting mods should get you to your goal.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

6.0 iron block will handle a lot of power and are great for forced induction setups!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:07 PM

Well, the insurance adjustor found nothing external to suggest vandalism. I've requested that the car be towed back to our house where we'll pull the motor. He did say that if I have the shop pull the motor apart and they find internal damage - game on. My concern is that, if the shop finds nothing inside, I'm out the costs of the disassembly. When I could put that cash into another build.

This sucks. The car only has 49K miles.

Time to start searching for parts for the new build. Oh yeah, my wife has already said that spending money on a 'more powerful motor' doesn't make sense. Any thoughts on cost comparisons of the LQ4/LQ9 build vs finding another LS1 and doing a complete overhaul? At this point it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to buy a used motor off the internet and stuff it back in. I'm thinking warranty this time.

Thanks guys.

Did I mention that I JUST finished putting together my circle track car? And she's already not happy with the money I spent on it....