Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Headlight Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Conversion

Ok so I have read numerous threads over this and have seen people flamed over the idea but I am tired of my flip up headlights. Yes they looked cool and were something new to me, but that was 3 years ago. Yesterday on my drive to work a semi came a little to close and the force of the air literally tore my headlight cover off. Now thank god the little cheap flange held it on but the rest of the mounts were shot. Since I should have my pick up on the road in a week or so I think it is time to start making some mods to the Trans AM. I know the current conversions cost an outrageous amount but has anyone considered using headlights from a late 90s early 00s S10 pickup. It seems to me they would not be that difficult to modify into the existing setup and then mold a sheet of lexan to cover it in the same shape as the existing headlights covers. I am assuming this is the right location for this if not please relocate.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Oh and the gears are stripped and it has the death rattle at the moment. The gears have already been flipped and did not last to long. The idea behind this is that the stock headlights suck as far as visibility and I know it increases drag riding at night. Which is about 90% of the time I am driving.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Idk man maybe you didn't have them tightened down enough? Imo taking away the flip up headlights on firebirds makes the whole front end look outta whack. The breathless performance lights can look decent if done right, but they still don't look as good as stock.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

If you really want to get into it....
* Make a shelf/mount to hold a projector (or 2).
* vacuform a lexan sheet over the stock headlight door (to get the right shape)
* assemble

It is obviously much more work than that, but that is the thought going through my mind.

At least 1 person has actually completed something like that
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...eadlights.html

There are some older threads listed in the Lighting FAQ as well.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ml#post7014488

Last edited by VIP1; 02-22-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Teching In

I have not seen that thread in my searches. Thanks VIP1. Yeah I know it is a lot more work than that. I have been thinking about it for a few months so I understand how to assemble it all. Was just looking for a factory headlight setup to start with and then mold into that. I am curious has anyone looked at how the factory headlights affect drag? From what I have read the Firebird and Camaro have a similar drag coefficient but how does that change once the lights come up? Anyways thanks for the responses guys.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dabest09
Idk man maybe you didn't have them tightened down enough? Imo taking away the flip up headlights on firebirds makes the whole front end look outta whack.
Yep... aftermarket looks like crap.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

My headlights have pissed me off before too. I'm sure you can find my threads on here.

The Breathless kit seems to be the only option to get rid of the pop-up headlights. I'm not a huge fan of how the rectangular headlights look with the breathless kit. It breaks up the design/curves of the front end. If there was a way to convert the stock rectangular headlights to projectors (BLS kit) and then incorporate the breathless kit, that would look a lot better! This would look similar to the C6 headlights.

Maybe this is something Blackbird Lighting Solutions can design.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:45 AM
Teching In

Well the car is about ready to go under the knife. I have several things that need to be replaced on top of that, so once I get to it I will definetly post pics of what I come up with.

Quick Reply: Headlight Conversion