Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 engine noise help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 engine noise help

I just picked up a Rx7 this week with a LS2 swap. was told the car quit running and would not restart due to an electrical issue. resolved the electrical issues and got the motor running but am now left with an engine noise i was not warned of and am trying to figure out if i need to go directly to the bottom end or if there could be a valvetrain issue.

back ground on the motor is 07 LS2 out of 12k mile TBSS. have not had motor open yet but is suppose to have arp rod bolts, meling oil pump, mild cam, has 823 L92 heads, rockers have trunion upgrade, patriot extreme valve springs, texas speed push rods.

The engine idling at 600 rpm has about 25-30 psi oil pressure and when revd to 1500 rpm has 40-45 psi. Oil pressure is not irratic. The noise comes and goes and sounds like is coming from the passenger side of the motor.

Sorry for the short videos will try to get a longer video tonight

http://youtu.be/NypZo7VBEA0

http://youtu.be/cA4dkJ5zjzo
Old 02-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Mez
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69blueSS
I just picked up a Rx7 this week with a LS2 swap. was told the car quit running and would not restart due to an electrical issue. resolved the electrical issues and got the motor running but am now left with an engine noise i was not warned of and am trying to figure out if i need to go directly to the bottom end or if there could be a valvetrain issue.

back ground on the motor is 07 LS2 out of 12k mile TBSS. have not had motor open yet but is suppose to have arp rod bolts, meling oil pump, mild cam, has 823 L92 heads, rockers have trunion upgrade, patriot extreme valve springs, texas speed push rods.

The engine idling at 600 rpm has about 25-30 psi oil pressure and when revd to 1500 rpm has 40-45 psi. Oil pressure is not irratic. The noise comes and goes and sounds like is coming from the passenger side of the motor.

Sorry for the short videos will try to get a longer video tonight
Can't tell from video sound.

First, check if the rockers are hitting the valve covers. This happens sometimes with a new cam. Place a finger on the valve cover and see if you feel something whacking it. Remove the valve covers and see if you have any shiney spots on the rockers or the underside of the valve covers.

Next, while you have the covers off, wiggle the rocker arms to see if one is loose and check the torque on the rocker arms. If they are torqued right, then check the lifter preload. If the lifter preload not enough the rockers will be loose. If you have a pushrod checker, use that.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

figured would update, got the engine out and tore down. Found rod bearings #5 and 6 spun.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Common self inflicted damage, alot of people read and believe stories on the internet and get scared (probably started by the manufacturers of those parts) that these motors have weak rod bolts and replace them and do not do it right causing unnecessary damage to a perfect motor as in your case that you said only has 12k miles.
These motors only need a rod bolt upgrade I you plan on spinning them to 7K+ RPM on a regular basis or are going with a power adder such as forced induction or nitrous.

Quick Reply: LS2 engine noise help