Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Atlanta/N. GA ... Paradise Dragway will open with a test n' tune session March 4th

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atlanta/N. GA ... Paradise Dragway will open with a test n' tune session March 4th

Weather pending, Paradise Dragway in Calhoun, GA (I-75, Exit 317/S.R. 255, Left & on Right) is planning a test n' tune session Sunday, March 4th. I was think of getting some shake down runs in and thought there may be some other members interested. I hope to have my rear QTP's, but probably not my 2-step or line lock in.

According to Lee Timms, gates will be open at 10:00 am and time trials will start about 12:15 pm. The cost is $20 for a car and driver to test and all other spectators are $10. For those who may not know, this is an 1/8-mile track.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

I wish it wasn't so far away.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's not too far away for me.

my motor won't be ready by the 4th tho.. and sure as hell wont be in by then either.

guess if they keep doin it tho I can come up there later.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DBurgLT1
I wish it wasn't so far away.
Yea, that would be a long ride from Savannah!
Old 02-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

I just got my first LS1 car not too long ago. I've never run at a track before though. I've watched some at a local 1/8 mile we had back home, but that's it. I've always wanted to get into drag racing.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
That's not too far away for me.

my motor won't be ready by the 4th tho.. and sure as hell wont be in by then either.

guess if they keep doin it tho I can come up there later.
They usually have racing on Sundays with "open" runs in between and last year they did Friday "street nights". I have been up there several times as a spectator, but have yet to run on the track and have not been to any of their Friday night events.

It would be nice to have a small group of members meet up there from here sometime. There seems to be alot of local regulars that run there.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

I just got my first LS1 car not too long ago. I've never run at a track before though. I've watched some at a local 1/8 mile we had back home, but that's it. I've always wanted to get into drag racing.
This would be a good place to get started being a small local track.

I only have an interest in running on the track since I am old with too much to lose to street race.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea maybe if I make a fool of myself I wont be as embarassed at a small local track.

I've never ran a track of any kind.. never raced anything formally..

wouldn't bother running the car as is.. 293whp.. lucky it keeps up with a dodge caravan.

My heads came in today tho! couple more months and I'll have all my engine parts..
Old 02-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, i've never street raced. I've watched a lot of friends but didn't really like the whole thought of doing it myself. It's just too unsafe with too many variables.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

yea maybe if I make a fool of myself I wont be as embarassed at a small local track.

wouldn't bother running the car as is.. 293whp.. lucky it keeps up with a dodge caravan.

My heads came in today tho! couple more months and I'll have all my engine parts..
Lol. I just got an exhaust for mine and some suspension pieces. One day I'll buy heads and a cam...one day
Old 02-22-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

It doesn't matter what is in it. Over the years I have seen alot of cars on the track that I could physically run faster (not really, but you get the point) ... it is all about having a good time and getting track time and experience. Even at Commerce, I have seen mini-van rental cars run down the track.

I have not been down the track since my high school days .... longer than I care to remember.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, i've never street raced. I've watched a lot of friends but didn't really like the whole thought of doing it myself. It's just too unsafe with too many variables.
Now that is smart! It doesn't take much to ruin your life, or worse, ruin someone elses life.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the closest thing to a "street race" I've ever done was try to get someone away from me. I don't like it when people hover beside me.

ya know our cars probably look pretty similar Brian. course.. with 508whp.. yours is a LOT faste rthan mine. probably sounds good too.

You gotta wear a helmet to run at this track? If so.. do they rent em there? TBH I would have zero idea what I'm doing or where to go..
Old 02-27-2012, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

Calhoun is a pretty good "for fun" track, though it's slightly down hill, and actually only liike 630ft instead of 660, the times are automatically corrected, but you tend to MPH high there. IF you ride up to chattanooga, Brainerd Optimus dragway is a great track when they are having a decent event. They are open for TnT when they do qualifying for thier 4.70 class, and they prep the dog poop out of it for those races. Any other time it's about average.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

the closest thing to a "street race" I've ever done was try to get someone away from me. I don't like it when people hover beside me.

ya know our cars probably look pretty similar Brian. course.. with 508whp.. yours is a LOT faste rthan mine. probably sounds good too.

You gotta wear a helmet to run at this track? If so.. do they rent em there? TBH I would have zero idea what I'm doing or where to go..
Yea, a helmet is required and I don't think they rent them, but I am not sure.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by crmartin99
Calhoun is a pretty good "for fun" track, though it's slightly down hill, and actually only liike 630ft instead of 660, the times are automatically corrected, but you tend to MPH high there. IF you ride up to chattanooga, Brainerd Optimus dragway is a great track when they are having a decent event. They are open for TnT when they do qualifying for thier 4.70 class, and they prep the dog poop out of it for those races. Any other time it's about average.
I had heard that the track was slightly uphill .... is it downhill? ... but I didn't know it was 630' ... why is that? ... they have plenty of shutdown area.

I have been up to Brainerd Optimist in Ringgold a few times as a spectator, but it is an 1-1/2 hour drive for me ... Paradise is 40 minutes, but I may head up there one day. I just wish there was a 1/4-mile track closer than Commerce.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

May take the blazer if I can find some drs
Old 02-28-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by distortion_69
May take the blazer if I can find some drs
Look for me and introduce yourself if you go. My wife and I plan on being there as long as it doesn't rain.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have anything to run, or I'd go. Even if my car had the new engine I'd be afraid to launch it for fear of blowing my 10 bolt or my tranny.

I'm planning to go to HPS's grand opening saturday in dallas tho. No dyno pulls for me tho, unless I bring the belair and even then only one for novelty.. I'd be afraid of a blowout.. tranny, rms, rearend, or tires.

supposed to rain this saturday, dunno bout sunday.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

I don't have anything to run, or I'd go. Even if my car had the new engine I'd be afraid to launch it for fear of blowing my 10 bolt or my tranny.

I'm planning to go to HPS's grand opening saturday in dallas tho. No dyno pulls for me tho, unless I bring the belair and even then only one for novelty.. I'd be afraid of a blowout.. tranny, rms, rearend, or tires.

supposed to rain this saturday, dunno bout sunday.
Saturday would not be a good day .... as of now, 40% chance of scattered t-storms. I was hoping to weigh my car in street trim and then race trim on Saturday.

Sunday seems to change by the day ... as of now, 0% chance of rain but cooler temps of 55/31 down from highs in the low 70's.

Quick Reply: Atlanta/N. GA ... Paradise Dragway will open with a test n' tune session March 4th