What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

looking at 02 WS6...kinda low miles...fraud?

Old 02-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default looking at 02 WS6...kinda low miles...fraud?

Listing claims 42k, all stock. 6 speed, looks pretty good from the one picture listed. I havent seen the car in person.

Considering theyre asking 10k, the miles seem pretty low. I'm hoping that whoever traded this in got hosed and gave the dealership a lot of room to work pricewise.

Is there a way to swap out computers or clusters on these cars to show a different mileage?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

i paid 13k at a dealer for my 2001 SS with 36k all stock on the odo... that was in august 2010

i'd say thats a fair price.. IMO
Old 02-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

I've seen a couple others listed locally with a lot more miles within $500, one even with mismatched rims (polished rears vs natural fronts, both SS). Price just seems a little low to me, not at all complaining, just being cautious.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the mileage can be faked/altered... pretty easily. Carfax is a pretty good tell tale site but not foolproof... Id ask for some paperwork.... oil changes, service records and title history.... just see if the numbers jive... Bottom line, you never know what youre getting when you buy used.... Also. look at the hardware around the car... you can tell if head bolts have been done by the marks on them.... look at the door jams, particularly the upper hinge and see if they are mushroomed. Weather stripping is a good sign of age as well... If they doctored the mileage, chances are it will show signs of wear in excess of 50k miles... Good luck man
Old 02-22-2012, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Look at the title. See if it shows odometer exempt.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

^ Dont they all show that after 10 years?
Old 02-22-2012, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Seems a bit low but who knows I guess just be cautious with buying used.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

I havent seen the car in person. It was listed on craigslist. Called the number, first name matched the one in the ad and also told a last name. Left a message twice, texted twice asking to just let me know if its already sold because I am looking elsewhere, too - no response yet. I used the last name from the voicemail and looked the salesman up on Facebook, got a dealership name. Called the dealership, he was busy they said. The guy I actually talked to said he didnt see the car there but that wasnt to say they didnt have it, possibly on another part of the lot, in maintenance, who knows. He was going to check into it within the hour, but by the time I called back he said he still hadnt heard anything but would call when he did. It wasnt a gas station, fly by night type dealership. It looks to be the used section of a Toyota lot that sells brand new cars, as well.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

I dont see a dealership selling that car for 10k... I also dont think they can sell one with fraudulent mileage unless they disclose it... You never know what they will pull on you though.. Get them to show/give you the history report and a guarantee in writing that the mileage is genuine with a buy back guarantee... pics would be awesome..
Old 02-22-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

A photo (s) is no way to tell ... look at it before you do anything else. I have seen alot junk cars with great looking photos and alot of nice cars with crappy photos.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

I just wanna see what it looks like...
Old 02-22-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
I just wanna see what it looks like...
... and it being at a dealership, they won't show it to you? Don't bother talking to the "internet salesman", just stop by with the copy of the ad in your hand. Let us know how it goes and post some photos.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

I'd like to look at the carfax myself. I dont trust printed materials, too easy to cut and paste. If I see it on screen, I'll be satisfied.

Car is an hour south of here and schedule doesnt work out for me to see it till Monday.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Wasnt a whats it worth thread - my question was if the cluster and/or computer were easily swapped for fraudulent purposes.

Thanks for your consideration, time, and effort in this matter though.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

there is more to it than just swapping out the components... the paperwork has to jive too... most of the time what people do is put in a bullshit computer and cluster and drive on it for like 8 months and then put in the original computer/cluster and drive for a few thousand miles then register and inspect it... that way, you put miles on it and the computer/cluster match... thats how to avoid mileage discrepancy... ive heard another way is to unplug something from the transmission but you lose your speedo or something like that.... if it truly has that many miles, the interior will show very little wear, if any, as someone who drove it that little would surely taken great care of it....

and btw, you did put this in the 'WHAT'S IT WORTH' forum....
Old 02-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

and btw, you did put this in the 'WHAT'S IT WORTH' forum....
DidI? I looked at the newbie forum and it wasnt there. Typed "fraud" into firefox address bar, and it popped up. I coulda SWORE I put it there and a Modzi moved it lol

EDIT: I looked at my history and I did post it in the newbie section. It was moved.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Well, if they moved it, just go with it man.... its all good...
Old 02-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

*********** sold the car at an auction yesterday...if they could return phone calls they might have had a full-price sell.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, the mileage can be faked/altered... pretty easily. Carfax is a pretty good tell tale site but not foolproof... Id ask for some paperwork.... oil changes, service records and title history.... just see if the numbers jive... Bottom line, you never know what youre getting when you buy used.... Also. look at the hardware around the car... you can tell if head bolts have been done by the marks on them.... look at the door jams, particularly the upper hinge and see if they are mushroomed. Weather stripping is a good sign of age as well... If they doctored the mileage, chances are it will show signs of wear in excess of 50k miles... Good luck man
Worn brake pedal rubber is another good sign.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

This entire thread was really pointless without a Carfax. Accident history?? Clean title?? C'mon....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: looking at 02 WS6...kinda low miles...fraud?