Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine swap idea?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Engine swap idea?

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but here it goes:

I currently have a 99 ws6 with about 113k miles, mostly highway miles, but sooner or later my engine will go. I kinda want to get an LS6, I know the ls1 & ls6 are very similar, does anyone know how hard or easy it would be to swap to an ls6?

Which also leads to my next idea. I absolutely love the late 80s trans am gta, I would love to buy one ans swap an ls1 in there.
And ideas on how this would go?

Definitely correct me if I'm wrong
Old 02-23-2012, 06:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

LS1>LS6 swap will be as easy as a direct engine replacement. And it will be a lot of work and expense for little gained. Motors easily run 250k these days with no major issues, so you're getting all worked up over nothing. All engines will go eventually, doesn't mean you replace them in eager anticipation.

You're plan isn't bad though considering you want to stuff your old motor in a donor car. For that I'd recommend reading in the conversion section. That swap is a little more complicated.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, the second gen fbodys are a breeze, just gotta have the time and the money! I'm in the process of doing an LS swap into an 81 camaro, I'd definitely look into the site nastyz28.com if you haven't already. AcesHigh is a good member to chat up, i believe he's done quite a few swaps himself, and IIRC, he is a member of Tech as well. I think the only major issues anyone has with the second gens is the adaptor plates working with the transmission crossmember (different brands tend to move the motor more forward/backward than is desired), headers, and the accessory drive! Theres more to it obviously, but ask the guys in the swap section for sure, and i'll try and answer as many of your questions as i can, as there isnt much difference between a second gen camaro and T/A.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
LS1>LS6 swap will be as easy as a direct engine replacement. And it will be a lot of work and expense for little gained. Motors easily run 250k these days with no major issues, so you're getting all worked up over nothing. All engines will go eventually, doesn't mean you replace them in eager anticipation.

You're plan isn't bad though considering you want to stuff your old motor in a donor car. For that I'd recommend reading in the conversion section. That swap is a little more complicated.
Yeah I know a guy who has built/swapped many engines so I would have him help me. Yeah its only 60hp more :/ Would you recommend staying with the LS series of engines then?

Yeah I figured I could throw my old LS1 into a TA GTA 87-88

Originally Posted by jb451
Man, the second gen fbodys are a breeze, just gotta have the time and the money! I'm in the process of doing an LS swap into an 81 camaro, I'd definitely look into the site nastyz28.com if you haven't already. AcesHigh is a good member to chat up, i believe he's done quite a few swaps himself, and IIRC, he is a member of Tech as well. I think the only major issues anyone has with the second gens is the adaptor plates working with the transmission crossmember (different brands tend to move the motor more forward/backward than is desired), headers, and the accessory drive! Theres more to it obviously, but ask the guys in the swap section for sure, and i'll try and answer as many of your questions as i can, as there isnt much difference between a second gen camaro and T/A.
Oh yeah? haha time and money can get everything accomplished
I'll definitely check out that site thanks!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stick with your dream.
If you want a 3rd gen with LS, then go for it.
Like the 2nd post says, though, I would just keep your present motor and work with it.