Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Yet another "which rear end to buy?" thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another "which rear end to buy?" thread!

Hey guys. Just decided on buying myself a 12 bolt before my 10 bolt has a chance to blow up.

http://www.moserengineering.com/comp...figurator.html

I MAY do some road course, I would like the car to handle well, and i DONT want traction control, and i suppose i should keep ABS, assuming its easier to install the rear end without modding.

So my question is, what sections should i be check marking for my car? Can anyone give me the best options to check? Never got into researching much about rear ends so im not familiar with the whole 30-35 spline stuff, and which brand is better than which.

And I would be getting the 4.11s with the rear end... meaning ill have some 4.10s up for sale with a brand new install kit! yay! what a waste that was lol, my fault....

I just need this rear end to hold my power, and dont need it for much more than a 10 sec pass lolol, so if anyone here can point me in the right direction for a rear end that can provide me with all this, id really reallllllyy appreciate it. Again, Id do it myself but i dont have a ****** clue what the whole yoke and splines and all that is about.

Any help is appreciated guys, thanks.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

nothing?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are plenty of people that have had issues with excessive noise from the 12-bolt regardless of brand.
You might consider looking into the Strange S60 special currently going on. This rearend is quieter, stronger and it is mfg by Strange Engineering. Strange has more rearend components in race cars than all other brands combined, there is a reason!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...cial-back.html

Carl
Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send me a pm with the details of your car, what you'll be doing with it and any future plans and I'll give some guidance, if you decide to go with Moser I can work you a good deal.

Mike
Old 02-23-2012, 12:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Call MWC they build there own and also sell all other brands. I would go 9" the first time and be all done with it though.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

if i were you.....
i would go 35 spline....
i have strange 35 spline axles on a spool,a posi is gonna cost you more $$$.
i am also narrowed 3" each side so you can use deep dish rims,if you didnt think about that?

you are a m6?

it says that in your sig........save the money, headache & stay away from a 12 bolt. been there done that.
it seams like everytime you actually abuse a 12 bolt, it starts making more noise than the time before.
they say the t-arm is the main cause for this on a 12 bolt.....?

i went to a mwc fab9 & love it.....

i dont have any experience with a s60? so i am not gonna say a thing to mislead you on them to buy or not. i will stay neutral......until proven other.

good luck!
Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

thanks a lot guys. i saw something about a MWC in another post... can anyone point me to where to buy/customize one?

i just want a botl in rear end if possible, and i need it to work with the ABS, i dont want to do any modding...

my car is an 11 second car, I dont know if im ever going to go more than that, if i do itll be a small shot and thats it. Right now the weak link in my car is the rear end. everything else is all done for.

and yea, are my DD wheels going to be a problem? again guys, i know nothing, zero, nada, about rear ends... for the most part.

Put yourself in my shoes, with my car, and the power it makes, and you want a tough rear end that can handle the abuse, but will only see the strip once or twice (just for the slip and thats it).

again thanks for all the help and any future advice...
Old 02-23-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

try this link for pics & phone #.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...-new-pics.html
Old 02-23-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Talk with Eric @ Midwest Chassis link to site in my sig
Old 02-23-2012, 02:15 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

If you're looking for handling improvements, the one thing you don't want to do is increase the unsprung weight of your rearend. While the Strange 12 bolt and the S60 are both great rearends, they are both considerably heavier then your stock rearend.

The MWC fabricated 9 inch is a very popular rearend among the road coarse and autocross crowd for many reasons, and one is the fact we can build it to be much stronger and end up the same weight as the stock 10 bolt.

Give us a call and we can discuss what your needs are and get you into the correct rearend the first time. We are a direct dealer for Strange, Moser, and Yukon and have the most options available to suit your particular needs.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^sounds like a deal to me....
Old 02-23-2012, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds good, what are your hours eastern time? I dont get home till around 6pm.

And should I ask for you specifically or anyone will do?

Thanks a lot for the quick answers guys. I heard about MWC but never really looked into it, but now I think I am going to haha.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dude get a 9" trust me, you'll thank us in the end
Old 02-25-2012, 09:34 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by hendrixx
Sounds good, what are your hours eastern time? I dont get home till around 6pm.

And should I ask for you specifically or anyone will do?

Thanks a lot for the quick answers guys. I heard about MWC but never really looked into it, but now I think I am going to haha.
hours vary here, but normally would be in the 9-6 range. give me a call and if there is no answer leave a message, I will call you back. You can also email me... contact info on my website.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MikeFSKSpeed
Send me a pm with the details of your car, what you'll be doing with it and any future plans and I'll give some guidance, if you decide to go with Moser I can work you a good deal.

Mike
PM sent!!