What gun should i buy????

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What gun should i buy????

so i am wanting to purchase a gun next month but dont really know where to start, i have a few friends that know some but wanted to get everyones opinons and ideas. looking for a rifle ak style or ar style. i pretty much want to accesorize the f out of it with all sorts of bs without paying an arm and a leg. im gonna list some things i am interested in so help me out here.

ak / ar
rails (heard i couldnt get for ak)
scope
front handle
laser sight
extended mags
inexpensive ammo

so what do you guys think
Old 02-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Teching In

i don't know much about rifles but my husband's been building his ar and has been buying a lot of stuff from spikestactical.com. him and his buddies all seem satisfied with their products for the price.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Launching!

http://www.keltecweapons.com/

accsesorize your EFing heart out lol
Old 02-23-2012, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1_bean
i pretty much want to accesorize the f out of it with all sorts of bs without paying an arm and a leg. im gonna list some things i am interested in so help me out here.
What do you consider to be an arm and a leg?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1_bean
so i am wanting to purchase a gun next month but dont really know where to start, i have a few friends that know some but wanted to get everyones opinons and ideas. looking for a rifle ak style or ar style. i pretty much want to accesorize the f out of it with all sorts of bs without paying an arm and a leg. im gonna list some things i am interested in so help me out here.

ak / ar
rails (heard i couldnt get for ak)
scope
front handle
laser sight
extended mags
inexpensive ammo

so what do you guys think
For hunting? home defense? shooting the crap out of it? wow factor?

I bought a Saiga AK in 7.62x39 for about $300.
Not the greatest platform for hunting (heavy) nor home defense, but sending 30 rounds down range as fast as you can pull the trigger is a hoot!

Side mounted rails are available for an AK and are better than rails mounted to the dust cover. I used the side mounted rail for a Lepers scope.
http://www.jsesurplus.com/handguards-3.aspx

I bought a Dinzag Arms kit in order to use standard AIK-47 mags.
http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x...ga_762x39.html

And then, I decided to alter the $10 mags instead of permenantly altering the reciever to get the mags to latch.

Works flawlessly.

Ammo is dirt cheap, too at under $0.20/round.
https://www.ammoman.com/p/65/762x39-...ammo-123-grain
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...Can&groupid=39

Hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NV my V
i don't know much about rifles but my husband's been building his ar and has been buying a lot of stuff from spikestactical.com. him and his buddies all seem satisfied with their products for the price.
thank you much will def check it out

Originally Posted by 99 WS-sick
http://www.keltecweapons.com/

accsesorize your EFing heart out lol
lol I WILLLLLLL!!!!!

Originally Posted by DSIM
What do you consider to be an arm and a leg?
great question, hopefully no more than 5-600 for rifle alone but just tryin to save on it all
Old 02-23-2012, 07:43 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Just got my first M&P 15(same as AR 15 essentially), for 699$, there were sales happening this month and i have never been happier with the ability to pimp the hell out of a firearm, a AK bases weapon is just a drug dealers choice to me. They are not bad and i have had them, but the tactical modern AR is just me preference.

I just installed a front grip for now, but i have several things lines up for when i am ready to but a front rail system. Shot 100 rounds of chap tul ammo .223 and didnt skip a beat, got it dialed in with it as well. Got a new 12 g and XDM .40 as well this month, so the other accessories will have to wait(thank you income tax)

Old 02-23-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
a AK bases weapon is just a drug dealers choice to me. They are not bad and i have had them, but the tactical modern AR is just me preference.
Call me a drug dealer then, lol. I can field strip my ak blindfolded and faster than you can your ar any day of the week. Lets drop your precious ar in the mud and then the sand and see if it will shoot afterwards, not. My ak will and never skip a beat. To the op if you want a gun thats cheap to shoot and can accessorize the **** out of then get an ak. You can get 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 for around 200ish bucks. Ar .223 is double that. I built an ak out of a Romanian parts kit about 5 years ago. It was super cheap. Now its hard to get your hands on a parts kit, but can still be done. Mine has a fiber force stock and fore grip with a tapco fcg. I built a scope mount and put a 4x12-50 scope on it. You can get all kinds of rails systems for ak's and put flashlights, lasers, coffee makers etc. on them. Ar's are super accurate and I will give then that on an ak, but a 30 cal bullet of the ak has way more energy to the ar's velocity. Its a trade off in ballistics, and a matter of preference. Look for the episode of Locked and loaded with R Lee Ermy when he does the ak to ar face off. Some good info on both guns.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest renting both guns at a range. They are pretty different, you will take a liking to one or the other.

Personally wood and blued steel appeal to me and an AK feels right in my arms. Sure the AR has lots of things in its favor. At the end of the day these are toys for most of us, not something we will ever actually need.

You might also consider a .22 rifle to start with. Ammo cost is a fraction, and if you shoot much the ammo costs will exceed the cost of the gun.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:54 AM
Teching In

saiga 12
Old 02-24-2012, 04:32 AM
Staging Lane

I have a s&w m&p ar15 .22 its a great little gun in a ar platform. Super light and fun not to mention dirt cheap for ammo lol. Plus you can put tons of crap all over the piccatiny rails.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:35 AM
Staging Lane

Old 02-24-2012, 05:40 AM
On The Tree

Your going to be hard pressed to fing an AR for 500-600. I have both AK/ AR and if the SHTF I'm grabbing the AK. I enjoy shooting it more it's cheaper to feed and it never needs cleaning. Like above I would recommend a saiga for $300 and then you could do a conversion on it for another $150 or so and use the rest for some commie ammo.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

if you want cheap, any gun show will have a ton of SKS's......7.62x39 is fun to play around with......Russian SKS's have chrome lined barrels and most are milled actions, they're tough as hell....prices for a good Russian will usually run anywhere from $175-500......Tapco magazines are the best i've found, other than leaving the factory 10 rounders installed.......i'd watch out for Chinese SKS's (Norinco), some of the barrels are pinned, they'll acutally work loose after heavy shooting and kill your accuracy....Wolf ammo is cheap and fairly plentiful

if you want an AR15, Stag Arms is a brand made by CMT (Contenintal Machine & Tool).......CMT is a manufacturer of milspec parts for nearly every non custom AR builder in the popular market (like Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA).....you can get your hands on a Stag flattop (model 3) for around 750, which makes it easily one of the best "bang for your buck" rifles on the market.

i deal with guns everyday and have never heard of or read about a disappointed Stag customer......the only downfall is most of their barrels are 1/9 twist, so you have to stick to bullet weights under 69grains, which is what most of your 223-5.56 ammo is loaded with.....(Black Hills, SSA, and some others are loading Barnes TSX's which are very badass bullets, all copper and devastating on game)......if you're wanting to accessorize, the Stag model 2 comes with a Samson rail to hang all of your goodies....if you're into moderate range target shooting, drop in a Timney trigger or Rock River 2 stage match trigger, Prvi Partizan match grade ammo is very affordable and consistent.....i buy Prvi 75grain match ammo by the 1000's (i prefer the heavier bullets, my AR is 1/7 twist)

for accessories, i'd simply go with a nice Surefire flashlight with a pressure switch on a vertical grip.....there are several models, but i like the x300.....no pressure switch on mine, so i can transfer it from my Daniel Defense AR to my Sig 1911 quickly.....there's nothing more helpful than a weaponlight if you hear something suspicious around your house at night, most Surefire lights are so bright they'll temporarily blind anyone they're aimed at (which means you can see them but they can't see you)......

keep it simple, don't waste your money on a bunch of crazy gadgets hanging off of your gun........a good light, a vertical front grip, a good trigger, decent ammo and you'll be ready for whatever (the target range, home defense, hunting, etc.)
(the rifle on the left is my brother's Wilson Combat UT-15, my DD is one the right, i left my vertical grip and weaponlight in my bag that day)

Last edited by jc98ss; 02-24-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:07 AM
On The Tree

Also every once in a while on texasguntrader.com i've seen some Czech made VZ 58s for around 500-600.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

My dad and I have both types and we love both types. The cheapest to initially buy is the AK, but past that they are both close in modification possibilities. Find a gun range that you can rent them at and find which one you like best.

A few of our AK variant rifles;

My 16" AR;

Speaking of SKS rifles, they are fairly cheap to get into and they shoot great! You can do a lot with them, the aftermarket isn't too bad. Here's mine:

Old 02-24-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TechCam97
My dad and I have both types and we love both types. The cheapest to initially buy is the AK, but past that they are both close in modification possibilities. Find a gun range that you can rent them at and find which one you like best.

A few of our AK variant rifles;

My 16" AR;

Speaking of SKS rifles, they are fairly cheap to get into and they shoot great! You can do a lot with them, the aftermarket isn't too bad. Here's mine:

i'm diggin' the PSL......7.62x51 is a BEAST......i took an M44 carbine and chopped the barrel at 16.25"......it was the loudest gun i've ever heard, people next to me would change booths at the gun range after two or three shots.......we named it the "Crowdpleaser"

Yugo SKS's are good one's too.....the Tapco stock looks awesome, i had one in OD Green and traded it like an idiot
Old 02-24-2012, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

^ Those are some nice rifles. Is that a yugo on the left?
Old 02-24-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with shooting a few if you can. I'd take some time to learn some more before you buy a surplus rifle though. Just to keep from getting the shaft. If you want real cheap get a moisin for $99. No rails, magazines etc though. The Saiga suggestion isn't a bad way to go. You get a new rifle that way.

If you go with an AR don't get hung up on the 1:7 vs 1:9 debate. They'll both shoot, and if your primarily running the cheap ammo it'll be the 55gr so the 1:9 will be fine.
You can build an AR for under $600 if you want to do that. It does require specialized tool so if you're just getting one it isn't worth it unless you buy an assembled lower and upper. Then all you're doing is pinning them together. The bonus with the AR platform is that you can change to several calibers by changing the upper, and the uppers don't need to be bought through a FFL. There is much more of an aftermarket.

You can find Cetme's in that price range too, but ammo isn't so cheap.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Ar's are super accurate and I will give then that on an ak, but a 30 cal bullet of the ak has way more energy to the ar's velocity. Its a trade off in ballistics, and a matter of preference.
You can just as easily get an AR chambered in .308.

Or get you a SCAR...

Man I love that thing....

I like precision long range so Im more of an AR guy.

Quick Reply: What gun should i buy????