View Full Version : Thunder Racing BAD BUSINESS ETHICS

02camaro427
02-25-2012, 01:24 AM
I ordered a custom grind for my motor back in October. TR said COMP Cams would drop ship it. After pointless excuses and no returns on phone calls or emails, I finally cancelled my order in January and ordered from another vendor here who told me it should have only taken 1-2 days to grind. I got my order delivered within 4 days after ordering it. I am still waiting on my refund from TR and it's almost the end of February. I am going to do a charge back with my credit card company.

I also found out that TR are lying to customers as they lied to me. I called COMP Cams and they told me they never received any order. After spending 30 minutes with them on the phone and them seeing if they missed it, I just realized the order most likely was never placed. COMP Cams told me a grind is 1-3 days and they are not back ordered and this was not the first time customers having to bypass TR and calling them to find out where they order is when it was never placed.

If you have an order with Thunder Racing and they are giving the excuse as I have read here in all the other feedback about manufacturers being back logged, etc., don't believe it. Call the manufacturer yourself.

One of their former employees also told me that they are having money problems and are using customers monies to pay their bills and that is why orders are late.

My buddy ordered some BMR parts and it took almost a month to deliver. Angie at TR said BMR was backordered. The guys at BMR said the order was never placed.

Read all the feedback here on Thunder Racing. It's all negative and now they are no longer sponsors. I posted this on Thunder Racing's facebook page along with all the other negative postings there and they have basically banned anyone from writing on their page and deleted all the complaints there.

Blackbirdws6
02-27-2012, 09:57 PM
I had the exact same issue on a clutch order. Sucks to hear you got the run around.

MikeFSKSpeed
02-27-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm not trying to get involved in A flame war about another vendor but I can attest to the fact that COMP is very prompt at getting custom grinds out the door. They usually quote ms a week to ship but get them out in 2-3 days

98_1LE
02-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Wow, I have been out of the scene for years, but they used to be my preferred vendor.

1BDHWK
02-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Wow, I have been out of the scene for years, but they used to be my preferred vendor.

^ This.

mike m
02-29-2012, 10:25 AM
I had the exact same issue. I ordered a part from them and after being treated like an idiot I lost my temper and demanded my money back. I posted on here and got a PM from the manufacturer of the part I ordered, telling me they owe him a ton of money and did not place MY order with him. They were telling me He was backed up and did not have any available.

Look to your right ---------> NOT A SPONSOR ANYMORE !!!!!

VIPRETR2
02-29-2012, 11:44 AM
They have been screwing up for a while now. A quick search for Thunder in this forum comes up with many negative threads. Sad to see what can happen to even the best shops with poor management and staff.

2QUIK4U
03-08-2012, 04:55 PM
I had bad luck with them as well. I placed an order for a cam kit and after getting the run around for about 2 months I cancelled the order. I then ordered a cam from Vengeance racing which had to be ground by Comp also and I had it in about a week. I had good luck with TR in the past but I would stay away from them now.

TXZ28LS1
03-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Man, what the hell is up with Thunder Racing? These guys have been one of the longest LSX shops around. Sucks that they cant get any orders right or anything.

KILLERARMY
03-09-2012, 08:29 AM
I order a auto meter gauge from them and receive it 2 month after i order it (DAMN).What broke the camel back was,i order a TA Performance girdle that suppose to have the TR emblem engraved on the girdle. I also again waited 2 month for this item.When finally got item,no TR emblem was engraved on the girdle.

ChevyMaxx
03-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Ordered a racetronix fuel pump and wireing kit from these guys a week ago, and i still hadnt received any emails by today, so i gave them a call, after 4 different calls i finally got through to a person and it turns out it is backordered according to them. It would have been nice to at least have them email me this info since now its going to be at least a week before the damn thing ships out, and i was hoping to get my car on the road this week! Very bad buisness ethics according to me

TruBloodTransAm
04-05-2012, 05:53 PM
I had a similar experience when ordering some lug nuts from them back in November. Placed my order online and figured they were in stock, nothing on the webpage told me otherwise. After waiting a week, I finally called them to see what was going on. They said they were out of stock and they were going to be shipped to me directly from the manufacturer. I waited a few more days and then got an email from TR saying that my item had been shipped. Unfortunately, the lugs were shipped to TR, instead of me directly, so I had to wait even longer.

I think it's kind of shady to do business this way. If the item is out of stock or backordered, then they should make an immediate effort to inform the customer. That way the customer can either choose to wait it out or cancel the order. I was in a time crunch and really needed those lugs quick so I wasn't happy about the run-around. If I had known that they were not in stock, I would have canceled my order and found them some place else. I guess that's exactly why they didn't tell me, so they could make the sale and get my money regardless. Bad business practice!

MonmouthCtyLS7
04-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Sucks....

VinR1
04-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Yep, had a buddy order a 12-bolt from them - according to TR, it was complete, had been shipped (directly from Moser) and was supposed to arrive by truck last week. After noone showed up, a quick call to Moser revealed Thunder Racing had never even placed the order...

If you've got a car, motor, parts, etc there, I'd highly suggest you get your sh!t before they have a 'fire sale' and lock the doors like a few other shops that have gone under... I feel its only a matter of days

ls1 1990 VN
04-09-2012, 02:37 AM
Going....:lurk: going.... GONE. :ripped:

deejaydaze
04-13-2012, 09:37 AM
I ordered a cam and have the same story. I was never charged and that's the only difference. I got my Stroker cam direct from Comp in 2 days. This was after waiting 2 months and calling 8 times a week.

It makes me wonder what they ARE doing since they are not placing orders. What ARE they working on?

I've spent over $20k with them over the years and this is just disgusting.

This thread needs a lot more visibility and people need to be aware of what they are doing. It's illegal.

j's02ws6
04-18-2012, 07:49 PM
the guys who have purchased parts and cancelled received there money back?

chaman
04-18-2012, 07:54 PM
It truly looks like the ship is sinking.

Mustang Hat'r 2
04-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Just ordered a roll bar from them and they called the next day to set up shipping arrangements. Hoping I have luck there the only ones that took paypal for my order.

01FbTaWs6
04-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Wow, I have been out for a while as well, but TR used to be the only place I would order from. This is very very sad if they are now stooping to such levels!! Very sorry to hear this!!!

MasterV8
04-19-2012, 09:06 AM
I don't know what's going on with these guys, used to be a great company to deal with.
They've pulled every comment on their FB page since last year & the last post from Friday is some guy still waiting on a clutch.

I really hope they can pull themselves back from whatever is going on over there.

deejaydaze
04-19-2012, 09:11 AM
the guys who have purchased parts and cancelled received there money back?

Some have and some haven't.

deejaydaze
04-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Just ordered a roll bar from them and they called the next day to set up shipping arrangements. Hoping I have luck there the only ones that took paypal for my order.

I really hope you didn't read this and then place the order LOL.

Glad to hear that you got a call the next day. Where is it from Wolfe? Have you got tracking? What day did you order?

Mustang Hat'r 2
04-19-2012, 10:22 AM
ordered monday, its wolf but payed with paypal so worst case it wont be hard to get tthe $$ back. No tracking yet waiting for it, wolfs site said 3-5 weeks for roll bars

deejaydaze
04-19-2012, 10:28 AM
^^ Thanks for the update. Let us know how it goes. I think it took a week to get my 6 point bar from Wolfe and that was Feb 2009

ss1129
04-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Wow I was about to pull the trigger on a cam kit from them. I have had probably about a dozen or so of flawless orders, they even went above and beyond on a couple of them before.

I dont want to be a dick, but THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE FBODY SCENE BECOMES THE NEW FOX BODY SCENE AND ALL THE NEW COMERS ORDER CHEAP PARTS FROM EBAY!

deejaydaze
04-19-2012, 10:39 AM
^^ This has little to do with ebay and the scene. We don't buy much from ebay here in FL. The issue is dropshipping companies. I can open an online store today for cheap and sell whatever you want right out of my home. I never have to stock anything (NO OVERHEAD) and I just ship from the vendor or manufacturer direct to you.

I have hundreds of orders with Thunder

bmnicolosi
04-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Ever since Geoff Left the company, it has gone down. When him and Angie split, he started EPS. Great guy to work with, but still sucks that a business he worked so hard on is flapping in the wind after the split.

deejaydaze
04-19-2012, 12:51 PM
WTF is EPS?

2QUIK4U
04-19-2012, 04:00 PM
WTF is EPS?

EPS is Engine Power Systems. It is a company started by Geoff who used to work at Thunder Racing. Geoff is a great guy to deal with unlike TR.

deejaydaze
04-19-2012, 04:32 PM
I can look through my email and tell you who I dealt with. Mostly it was Gene.

F8LWS6
04-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Wow this is a total shock. I too have been away for a while but they were my most trusted vendor. This is a real disappointment.

I remember even after Katrina they were still at work fulfilling orders.

j's02ws6
04-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Well damn I wish I would have know all this... I placed an order for an LSX short block from them last May n I haven't received anything on the status of it.

deejaydaze
04-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Is EPS a sponsor here?

bmnicolosi
04-20-2012, 11:49 AM
He was, not sure if he still is. He tuned my car and does a great job. Great guy to deal with, and knowledgeable as hell.

WarShrike
04-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Used to order a lot of parts from TR. They were a big supporter on our V6 forum as well. Last thing I ordered from them was a set of corbeau F-body rails for my Firebird on a black friday sale.

Johnnystock
04-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Oh my, this is a big one falling down...Good to know though. Sad story.

KILLERARMY
04-20-2012, 07:16 PM
http://www.engpwrsys.com/

He is a sponsor on LS1tech.

spike30th
04-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Ordered a racetronix fuel pump and wireing kit from these guys a week ago, and i still hadnt received any emails by today, so i gave them a call, after 4 different calls i finally got through to a person and it turns out it is backordered according to them. It would have been nice to at least have them email me this info since now its going to be at least a week before the damn thing ships out, and i was hoping to get my car on the road this week! Very bad buisness ethics according to me

I ordered a racetronix fuel pump from thunder racing on 3/22/12 and wasnt told that they were on backorder until I called them a few days later.On 3/27/12 I cancelled the order because I found someone else had one in stock and they told me my paypal account would be credited back.So week goes by and I still havent seen my paypal account credited back so I write TR a email to see whats going on,they never responded so I give them a call and talked to some guy there and he had no idea what was going on so he said the girl who I cancelled the order with will give me a call back after she reboots her computer in a few minutes well I never recieved that call.Then I had enough so I put a claim in with paypal and I won the claim and TR has to pay me.So I get a E check from thunder and it was on hold for a few days and I got a email from paypal saying that there wasnt enough funds in TR account to pay me.So I guess they refiled the E check and I have to wait until may 9 to see if it clears.
Im very disappointed in Thunder Racing they were one of my favorite companies to deal with they had a good selection of Lt1 parts.I will never buy anything from them ever again.

badbird
05-02-2012, 01:25 PM
I ordered some parts that ended up being backordered from them a few weeks ago. then i saw this post and it had me worried, but every time i called them they were really helpful so i figured id just let it go and see how things worked out. It took them a couple weeks to get me a tracking number, but once they did, everything showed up right when they said it would.

LS1Goat
05-06-2012, 01:05 PM
This is shocking, I've been out for a while also but I ordered from them numerous times when I had my goat. I'm in Louisiana and they used to get my stuff to me in a day or so. Sad to hear.

deejaydaze
05-07-2012, 01:03 PM
RIP Thunder Racing!!!!!

Mustang Hat'r 2
05-31-2012, 12:05 AM
ordered monday, its wolf but payed with paypal so worst case it wont be hard to get tthe $$ back. No tracking yet waiting for it, wolfs site said 3-5 weeks for roll bars

Been what 6 weeks not a f-en thing, no e-mail wont answer there phone or return mine. What a freaking joke. Gave those guys insane amounts of money in the past.

clonedws6
05-31-2012, 12:14 AM
Thunder fucked me over so I called Geoff @ eps formerly from TR and he had my cam out in less than a week.

Mustang Hat'r 2
06-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Been what 6 weeks not a f-en thing, no e-mail wont answer there phone or return mine. What a freaking joke. Gave those guys insane amounts of money in the past.

Paypal got me full refund, didnt loose any money just a dam headach
Jay

87silverbullet
06-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Well at least you didn't end up on the losing end of that.

JeaneGrae
06-09-2012, 03:07 AM
Sad to hear, these guys hooked me up with my 1st rnd of mods.

Anthony Williams
06-09-2012, 03:29 AM
Had nothing but praise for TR but it seems they really took a hit with Katrina.

clonedws6
06-09-2012, 03:32 AM
Or when Geoff left

87silverbullet
06-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Had nothing but praise for TR but it seems they really took a hit with Katrina.

Not this

Or when Geoff left

This

TXZ28LS1
06-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Anybody know why Geoff left? Thunder was one of the big shops for LSX back in the day.

Lucifer 00
06-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Very sad but also very true, I used to order everything from Thunder. I spent at least 10k there in the last 2 years. My latest and will be the last order from them was 5400.00. Got the run around from Angie about how everything was on back order. I called trick flow and they said they had everything on the shelf, the order never came from TR. Took me nine weeks to get trick flow/TEA heads that were in stock at trick flow!! Very sad and poor comunication from TR the entire time. What a waste of a business.

87silverbullet
06-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Anybody know why Geoff left? Thunder was one of the big shops for LSX back in the day.

Its a long story on personal issues on both sides from what I heard, but just know that Geoff is in a better position now.

rumblebox
08-01-2012, 11:35 PM
I wish i had discovered this thread a month ago.... Here goes:

A few weeks ago i ordered a set of cometic head gaskets from thunder racing. When they failed to arrive the next week i called and asked what the deal was. They said, "they should ship by the end of the week." I'm like WTF? A week later i call wondering where they are, and they said they'll be shipped that day and I'd receive a tracking number. I asked if he was 100% sure, and he said yes. At that point i was pretty pissed. I called again yesterday(another week later), and they said they had LOST MY FUCKING ORDER. So i got a refund and bought them from ws6store. Never in my life have i gotten so much bullshit run-around and ball-face lies from a company. Needless to say, I'll never be doing business with them again. Even the refund took over 24 hours and 3 phone calls. On the 3rd phone call he told me the paypal refund had been submitted the day before. 3 minutes after we got off the phone i received the refund......lying sack of shit.

So yea. Long story short, fuck thunder racing and their incredible ability to waste my fucking time and money. Now it's no wonder at all why they're going out of business. The sooner, the better.

deejaydaze
08-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Yeah man they really do suck. Thanks for your more recent story. Hopefully more people will read this before they buy.

OffspringZ28
08-27-2012, 12:20 PM
TR and Speed used to be my preferred vendors when I was more active in modding/etc. speed is still doing good tho.

ozzyls12001
09-14-2012, 02:17 AM
but i also have the worst customer service ever!pay for a stroker cam and they didnt told me that was out of stock,then after 1 week waiting call to gene of TR and told ,ow excuse me you need to wait 1 month because we are out of stock,,call on tuesday to cancel me the order and refund my money via paypal,and didnt recieve yet,,call 5 times daily Sent 2 mails daily,leave messages in the answer machine and didnt call back!and its very diffcult to some one takes the answer,i will never buy anything from this guys ever!!

rumblebox
09-14-2012, 08:17 AM
there seems to be a pattern here........how the fuck are they still in business??

deejaydaze
09-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Keep this thread going so they are NO LONGER IN BUSINESS. POST IT EVERYWHERE

senicalj4579
09-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Wow! What a shame.
I used to order from them 5+years ago and they were one of my favs. This is bad news.

deejaydaze
09-14-2012, 09:24 AM
They need to be shut down. Still taking people's money.

ozzyls12001
09-14-2012, 10:50 AM
yeah!i remember buying my first LS1 cam tr224 in 2002 ,and was very good service,but now this is a joke of bussiness, i started a controversy in paypal 2 days and no response, to bad that they steal the money like that

camaro98z28
09-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Just read this. I used to order most of my stuff through them and always had great service and always got my stuff. I was wondering what happen to them on here and now I know. Maybe they need new management. I also have a feeling that the economy might have something to do with it.

But still, you have to manage your business right even if that means cutting back. Once again this is bad news to me.

dr_whigham
09-26-2012, 11:38 PM
I'm curious as to what's going on. I ordered a spring compressor from Angie directly on Saturday and had it Tuesday morning. I also ordered my pushrods that next Saturday and John was able to have them to me on Monday. I was at the shop on the 24th and everything seemed well.

I hope you guys get everything straightened out.

LS-ONE_DAY
09-27-2012, 08:19 AM
I'm sure if you have the option of being close enough to pay them a visit in person they're more likely to get you your products and in a timely manner.

ss rally red
09-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Just read this. I used to order most of my stuff through them and always had great service and always got my stuff. I was wondering what happen to them on here and now I know. Maybe they need new management. I also have a feeling that the economy might have something to do with it.

But still, you have to manage your business right even if that means cutting back. Once again this is bad news to me.

This is nothing new it has become simular to a Ponsi scheme now as they are using new order money to pay past due bills. If you order something that they just happen to have on the shelf you receive it right away, anything custom that they have to order from one of their venders, that they have an outstanding balance ..... good luck.I have seen this many times, they are just trying to keep the doors open at this point. My guess is the primary owners have a lot of personal assets tied up in TR . :( You can bet it is hitting Angie,etc. harder than anyone that has ordered from them. JMHO