Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing air pump and rear o2 sensors what has to be done

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing air pump and rear o2 sensors what has to be done

I am in the middle of a mild build with my 2002 ws6 m6 and went with race headers and an ORY what all needs to be done when deleting the rear o2's and air pump?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tune.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AIR:

Me and a buddy just finished pulling the air pump and system out of my 02 z28 this weekend. My ARH headers still had provisions for AIR, so I had to buy the block off plates (TSP, WS6store, etc) to put on the headers.

As far as pulling the pump and hoses, we had to disconnect the connections at the headers, and since the hoses didn't want to come out, we just started cutting them in pieces wherever we could to make it easier.

Since you're an 02, you should have a small black cylinder on the driver's side, next to the intake manifold. It's going to be a pain in the butt to get to. It's on a bracket, but the easiest way to get it off is to just yank it up and out, hard. There's a small line on top of this cylinder that we disconnected first, then plugged with half a golf tee (I've seen other guys use tees, screws, anything that fits up there). Alternatively, there's 2 bolts you can undo to remove the bracket the cylinder sits on, but I couldn't get any kind of 15mm wrench to fit behind the bracket for the 2nd bolt.

Then the pump will be under the driver's side, right in the corner. I had to undo the plastic shroud below the pump (10mm bolts) and use a really long extension to reach the bolts to drop it, then just pull off the rest of the hoses.

I only had to plug the small line from the black cylinder since 2002s came with the LS6 intake and no EGR.

These are the write up's I referenced during this

AIR Removal

Noob Headers/AIR tubes

02 WS6 AIR removal

Other stuff:

My ORY came with bungs for my rear o2's, but I'm not running them, so I had to close up the bungs. Searched all over town for an 18x1.5 bolt to plug the bung and couldn't find one, so we just welded them shut.

Without cats and the AIR, you're gonna throw some codes before long. I made it home on open headers, but after pulling the AIR and finishing bolt on's I'm throwing the codes for the missing AIR and cats. These will need to be tuned out to stop the Service Engine Light from staying on.

You'll need o2 extensions and the other header install stuff if you don't already have it (GM MLS exhaust gaskets, Stage 8/ARP/OEM header bolts, etc).

I think that's my .02 for the night.

Quick Reply: removing air pump and rear o2 sensors what has to be done