Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" true duals -vs- single 4" (noise-wise)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 3" true duals -vs- single 4" (noise-wise)

I've been doing research on what route to go with my exhaust system but still am unsure. Last year I decided to upgrade to a big cam and cnc'ed heads. I knew that I needed to upgrade the intake, maf, and lid which I Have awaiting spring. To get the most out of my setup it is time to upgrade the exhaust. Currently I have 1 3/4" Hooker Super Comps, Hooker ORY, and a Magnaflow catback. Kinda restricting for my current setup now so it is time to upgrade. Problem is, I would like to keep the exhaust setup as quiet as I have it now, or as close to it.

My question is for people who have went from a single 3" catback to a single 4" setup, or from a single 3" catback to a 3" dual setup with an X-pipe. Was it louder when you swapped over from the catback? I will not be using bullets for either setup because I don't need to be noticed any more than I already am.

I had an idea which I am not sure how good it would work. Was thinking about adding a 4" bullet in the pipeline before the 4" muffler at the end in hopes it would quiet it down a bit. It shouldn't impede flow much. Either way the exhaust will end before the axle because I remove it many times a season while wrenching, plus I also hate the looks of tips in the back.

Any help is greatly appriciated

Thanks

Mark Jr.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Sound is going to be determined a lot more by muffler selection then exhaust pipe size. A full catback is going to be the most civilized way to go. I've had tons of exhaust but the one I have now is the best overall for me. It is 1 7/8 Hookers, custom 3 inch Y into a 4 inch Flowmaster merge, single 4 inch cutout, reducer back to 3 inch, Magnaflow catback. Quiet out the back when I want, and full power race car dump out when I want.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the loudness would be determined by the muffler because I know for
A fact that bullets are way too loud. I just wasn't sure if going from a 3" to a 4" if it would be a drastic change in loudness.

I really like your idea on the exhaust and think that is the best option for me. Best of both worlds and the option is as easy as flipping a switch. Now I am going to research for the best electric cutout. Do you have any pics of your setup? I know that someday I need to upgrade to 1 7/8 headers but need to find a good price on stainless before I do. I learned my lesson with coated headers. And my car is never driven in the rain and has never seen a winter.

I appreciate your input and plan on going that route.

Thanks

Mark jr
Old 02-26-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the wider the diameter the more the noise. but going from a 3" to 4" thru a "true" muffler shouldnt make a huge difference unless its just a bullet muffler. as mentioned above, its more determined by the muffler selection..

Quick Reply: 3" true duals -vs- single 4" (noise-wise)