Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick push rod question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red face Quick push rod question

So, before i buy up some specialty tools ill only use once, such as a pushrod length checker, i need to determine if i need one.

Stock heads, stock lifters, block was surfaced but got the appropriate head gaskets to make up the difference, scorpion non- adjustable rockers, it may be a dumb question but im so close to finishing my motor, can i use the stock length pushrods with this setup? Or would it be better to go ahead and get a length checker and check anyway?
Old 02-26-2012, 12:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like the stock pushrods would probably be close. You could check the lifter pre-load with the pushrods you have on a couple of cylinders to see what it comes out to be. The rocker arm bolt should turn about 1-1/4 turn when torqued from zero valve lash to 22 ft-lbs.

Of course, many will say to use a pushrod lenght checker for the ultimate check.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

A pushrod checking tool is $20 bucks shipped to the door.

Many guys use the stock pushrod and tighten down the lifter to check for length with out issues also. It was quickly explained in the last post.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much was machined off the block?
Old 02-26-2012, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Base circle of the cam is a factor as well
Old 02-26-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
It sounds like the stock pushrods would probably be close. You could check the lifter pre-load with the pushrods you have on a couple of cylinders to see what it comes out to be. The rocker arm bolt should turn about 1-1/4 turn when torqued from zero valve lash to 22 ft-lbs.

Of course, many will say to use a pushrod lenght checker for the ultimate check.
OK cool deal.

Originally Posted by custm2500
A pushrod checking tool is $20 bucks shipped to the door.

Many guys use the stock pushrod and tighten down the lifter to check for length with out issues also. It was quickly explained in the last post.
As i noticed, and i know its cheap, but i guess i could always return it or sell it.

Originally Posted by awd39chevypickup
How much was machined off the block?
I forgot to be honest, 6.125 rods, had it decked, he told me i needed a minimum of .055 head gasket, that's all I know.

Originally Posted by outkast6991
Base circle of the cam is a factor as well

Custom FTI cam.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

all the above means you need to measure to know
Old 02-26-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by outkast6991
all the above means you need to measure to know
Yep ... with new info that there's a different cam, the length needs to be measured somehow. A lenght checking tool is the best. Using a stock pushrod and measuring how many turns the rocker arm bolt takes to 22 ft-lbs is the 2nd best option.

This thread has lots of new info on what pre-load is obtained by X number of rocker arm bolt turns.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-pre-load.html
Old 02-26-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Yep ... with new info that there's a different cam, the length needs to be measured somehow. A lenght checking tool is the best. Using a stock pushrod and measuring how many turns the rocker arm bolt takes to 22 ft-lbs is the 2nd best option.

This thread has lots of new info on what pre-load is obtained by X number of rocker arm bolt turns.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-pre-load.html

ok good to know, i know on my freinds old SBC he used a solid lifter to check the length with a length checker, that he no longer has. Would it be better to do this that way instead of using the hydraulic lifter? I havent done this before so i have to ask.