Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ac compressor clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ac compressor clutch problem

I am installing an LS376/480 into a 91 camaro. I bought the external accessory package from GM Of course the accessories came with no wiring diagrams and the harness plug coming out of the ac compressor did not fit anything on the stand alone harness for the engine. Well the wires out of the compressor clutch are black and green, so first I took my meter to see if one of those wires were grounded, no they were not. Next I measured between the wires and got 3.5 ohm, good thats about right, approx 4 amp to run the clutch. Next, just to check things out, I hook a battery to the wires, negative to black and positive to green, clutch grips, great, but did not seem to be strong. So I switched the wires, green to negative and black to positive, nothing. So back to the first connection black to negative and green to positive, no clutch action, in fact jumper wires got hot. I put the meter back on the green and black and got 0 ohms (a short), WTF? Anyone have any knowledge of what happened, before I order an new clutch and burn it up. They do work at 12 volts, right?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

12v

Black is the ground green is positive.

When is black ever the 12v?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like gray86hatch said black is ground and yes they use 12v. I expect they have a diode wired in to stop voltage spikes. Sorry I think u burnt it.

Quick Reply: Ac compressor clutch problem