Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Spring Shims

Old 02-26-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valve Spring Shims

I have a set of TEA 2.5 243 heads with 921 springs on them. I picked these up a while ago and havent gotten the chance to put them on. I noticed that the shims for the springs are off center on a few of the springs. Is this a big issue? I can take the springs off and move the shims, but if their placement isnt an issue I wont bother. Here are some pics. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would want them to be centered. Also make sure they are shimmed to the
proper height. At max lift they should be within .060" of coil bind to prevent
spring surge. This condition shows up after 6000 rpms on the chassis dyno.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:26 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

That doesn't look good at all to me. The center hole in the shim doesn't match the valve guide. It's too big.
I would pull them apart and figure out what's up.
The spring should locate on either the guide or there should be a spring cup under the spring that locates on the guide and contains the outside of the bottom of the spring.
I would check the spring spec for proper installed height.
Ron
Old 02-26-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
That doesn't look good at all to me. The center hole in the shim doesn't match the valve guide. It's too big.
The spring should locate on either the guide or there should be a spring cup under the spring that locates on the guide and contains the outside of the bottom of the spring.
Ron
i agree.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having the shim off-center would mean that the spring would be compressed unevenly. This can't be good at higher speeds.
It's been awhile, but if memory serves, even though my shims were centered, I felt that the shims were not wide enough to provide a complete base for the spring.
I used the comp shims.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Ron
There are cups under the springs and the springs themselves are located straight inline with the valves. I think you are correct about the center hole being to big for the guides. I compressed one of the springs and was able to slide the shim to center it on the spring/cup. I will pull a spring to check out the center hole to see whats up.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Def not good...center them up or just change them like the other guys said!
Old 02-27-2012, 01:24 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
There are cups under the springs and the springs themselves are located straight inline with the valves. I think you are correct about the center hole being to big for the guides. I compressed one of the springs and was able to slide the shim to center it on the spring/cup. I will pull a spring to check out the center hole to see whats up.
I couldn't see the cup in your photos.
The hole in the shim needs to be pretty close to the guide OD.
Good luck!
ron
Old 02-27-2012, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The shims I used on my LS3 heads had a large internal diameter, which allowed for the same type of movement. I was careful to center them when I was installing the springs, but as a "test" I did move one as far offset as it could go, and even then it was still underneath the spring seat all the way around, so I don't think it would cause any kind of unevenness for the spring.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Jim- I feel like I am in the same situation as you are. The shims did have a large diameter inner hole, but the cup seems to be supported across the bottom even on the most offset shims. I am going to pull them as soon as I get a new spring compressor anyway just to check them out as well as the valve seals. My spring compressor is a hand crank kind and can not grab the inner spring to fully compress and remove them.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd recommend the Proform valve spring tool. After fighting relentlessly with a POS that I borrowed from a friend, I sprung for the proform tool and it made spring removal/installation a very simple task.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Valve Spring Shims