Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

had car on lift today, not good...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default had car on lift today, not good...

so i had the car out for the first time since i brought it home, got it all inspected passed perfectly here in NY with the SD tune and no o2 sensors hooked up, i was very suprised but very happy as well. so here is the bad part. whoever did the y pipe in this car did a really shittty job. its at a bad angle doesnt go straight and is hitting the driveshaft. also, the driver side of the y pipe is completely flat on top? in the pics you can see where it was modified to work with the rest of the y pipe. also ive never noticed on other fbodys but my headers are at much different angles then ive seen? i am very worried about the y pipe touching the DS especially since its starting to scratch it up.
first pic that shows y pipe touching DS and the wear mark on driveshaft

here is the next pic that shows how bad the angle if y pipe is

and here is the last pic that shows how uneven the headers are(idk if this is how they all are but just looks very odd)

all info would be great, i really love the corsa exhaust and dont want to take it off but if i have to i was going to sell it and do a true dual setup
Old 02-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Header difference appears to be normal for these cars. And that y pipe is pretty crappy! If it were mine I would tear it all out and start from scratch
Old 02-27-2012, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

yeah having two diferent looking headers is normal for our cars due to the odd fitment clearences, however as 01fastws6 said, your y pipe was done by an idiot, depending on your money situation you can leave it or replace it, i would replace it. clamps on the headers' colletors, wtf i have never seen that, it should be a three bolt flange with a gasket in between.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blacknyellow
yeah having two diferent looking headers is normal for our cars due to the odd fitment clearences, however as 01fastws6 said, your y pipe was done by an idiot, depending on your money situation you can leave it or replace it, i would replace it. clamps on the headers' colletors, wtf i have never seen that, it should be a three bolt flange with a gasket in between.
Clamps on the headers is not that uncommon since most of them are slip fit. The Hooker LT's i bought had some crappy band clamps that werent providing a good seal so I was leaking exhaust, bought some 3in U-bolt clamps and it was good to go. That of course doesn't take away from the crappy job that someone did putting the OP's together. Definitely remove that and either have a shop cut, smooth, and reweld, or just replace them.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

alright good im glad to know the headers are supposed to be at those angles one less thing to worry about. now as far as the y pipe yes it was an absolute horrible job done and i am pretty pissed off(not previous owners fault he bought the car the same way) but yes i want to do something with it. now the only reason i can see them doing the y pipe like this is because it looks like it was going to hit the tunnel brace. if that was out of the way it could have gone together straight and not have this crazy angle on it. as far as it hitting the DS i am very mad about that as well, that cannot be good. can i removed this tunnel brace withouth having any issues? if i can i will just cut the piping and weld a new one in myself. all probs solved.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Thats even worst, the previous owner before last was either an idiot or had someone who didnt know what they were doing on the installation. I have never heard of any aftermarket exhuast not clear the stock tunnel brace. I would remove it to make it easier to work on but I would put it back on. If the tunnel brace is in the way, I would have someone do some fab work around it.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:03 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hiram007
Thats even worst, the previous owner before last was either an idiot or had someone who didnt know what they were doing on the installation. I have never heard of any aftermarket exhuast not clear the stock tunnel brace. I would remove it to make it easier to work on but I would put it back on. If the tunnel brace is in the way, I would have someone do some fab work around it.
Really? My TSP system had NO CHANCE of clearing, and I asked the same thing. TSP themselves told me that they always remove them when they do an aftermarket system.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Really? My TSP system had NO CHANCE of clearing, and I asked the same thing. TSP themselves told me that they always remove them when they do an aftermarket system.
If they remove them on every install then it wont be a problem to just remove it completely. Never had that problem with my Hookers or know anyone else that did for that matter..............
Old 02-27-2012, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

I had to remove my tunnel brace to install my corsa with the ARH headers and ORY on my 02. Wouldn't clear otherwise. Glad to see some other people had to do it with other systems too.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

yeah generally ppl have to remove them, in my experiences atleast. ive seen a couple of people fab up new ones.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Regular

that pass side o2 needs to be replaced also... why in the world they have it running off of one, you're guess is as good as mine unless it's on a speed density tune lol.

re-read op.. whoops... but yeah someone made the suggestion of removing the tunnel brace, and that does wonders for getting some more clearance.

Last edited by RacingTiger03; 02-27-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:39 PM
The Scammer Hammer

It is a SD tune. But while we're being nit-picky, I spy a FRAM oil filter.....LOL

Op, seriously, figure out whose brand headers you have and either get that Y, get a TSP stainless Y (since you live in NY) and be done with it.

I'd be ashamed of myself as a welder if I did that.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RacingTiger03
that pass side o2 needs to be replaced also... why in the world they have it running off of one, you're guess is as good as mine unless it's on a speed density tune lol.

re-read op.. whoops... but yeah someone made the suggestion of removing the tunnel brace, and that does wonders for getting some more clearance.
yes its on a SD tune lol that o2 is just sitting in there to plug up the hole

Last edited by mikh338; 02-27-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

It is a SD tune. But while we're being nit-picky, I spy a FRAM oil filter.....LOL

Op, seriously, figure out whose brand headers you have and either get that Y, get a TSP stainless Y (since you live in NY) and be done with it.

I'd be ashamed of myself as a welder if I did that.
i have PC headers and it was supposed to be a PC ORY, im not to sure if it is tho. Like i said the left side is completely flattened i have never seen an aftermarket y pipe like that, someone said it could have been the stock driver side of the y welded into my pacesetter one? yes its odd and ghetto and pisses me off. so im very pleased thats its no prob to remove that brace i will cut out existing piping and attach a new piece in its place since i have 3" piping at my house from a previous custom exhaust i did on my buddys car. thanks so much for everyones input i will post new pics once i get it done!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

i was actually thinking about switching to the TSP ory anyways since its a great price and the merges are soooooo much better then the PC on it now!!
Old 02-27-2012, 04:53 PM
The Scammer Hammer

And with you being in Albany, having stainless steel is GREAT piece of mind. Where else can you get a stainless, with a great merge, for 130 bucks?

Best of luck bro.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

And with you being in Albany, having stainless steel is GREAT piece of mind. Where else can you get a stainless, with a great merge, for 130 bucks?

Best of luck bro.
yeah i really try not to drive it any salt, but we will see what i can find for best price without sacrificing qualit
Old 02-27-2012, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

holy **** thats bad. I can tell you mike that with the power your making and seeing as that shitty stock driveshaft is already grooved, thats a weak link and it WILL snap. When, I dont know but when it does, without a driveshaft safety loop or anything it will be bad.

spend the money and get a tsp ory, a new driveshaft and a spohn torque arm with a safety loop.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
holy **** thats bad. I can tell you mike that with the power your making and seeing as that shitty stock driveshaft is already grooved, thats a weak link and it WILL snap. When, I dont know but when it does, without a driveshaft safety loop or anything it will be bad.

spend the money and get a tsp ory, a new driveshaft and a spohn torque arm with a safety loop.
yeah wager i told you lol, if that thing breaks thats gonne be so bad. yeah i deff want that tsp ory, i have no idea about driveshafts for these cars and yeah ive been looking at the torque arm with safety loop. also if i were to order this stuff, does your buddy have a lift i could do it on? and would you want to help me!!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

also im not sure why i cant find driveshafts anywhere on the popular sites?

Quick Reply: had car on lift today, not good...