Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Car starts missing out of nowhere...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Car starts missing out of nowhere...

hey guys, i'll give you a little background here, i installed hookers headers about two weeks ago, and it ran fine until today.

Today i started the car about to go back from work, it idle fine and drove fine at first and then suddenly out of nowhere i heard a loud popping noise from under the car, i pulled over to a parking lot and checked the car, everything was fine and intact, nothing's lose, but the car started to drive like it's missing and i keep hearing the popping noise from under the car when the car was revving down.

i'm suspecting that maybe this has something to do with my plug boots touching the headers primaries? when i installed my hookers headers the plug boots on cylinder #3 and #5 are resting on the primaries i tried to bend them but always failed, finally i put the "socks" on them and never had problem since then.

here's the pic of the plug boots that touching the headers' primaries.

no codes...and i'm stumped..any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

i would wait till it got dark and pop the hood while its running and see if you see anything arcing... it will light up like a Christmas tree if it is... same thing happened to me
Old 02-28-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i popped the hood lots of times after dark when the engine's running and notice nothing coming from those plug boots that touch the primaries. where would you guys start the diagnostic if there's no code at all, while the car's running like ****..
Old 02-28-2012, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update - I went out, popped the hood and started the car, and wiggle the sock that covers plug boot #5 and it actually did spark a little..
Old 02-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

awesome man... glad you figured it out
Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So if it sparks is that mean the boot is loose or melted? Because it never happened before when I first put the sock in
Old 02-28-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update - took the sock off the cylinder #5 boot and found out that the boot is cracked thus showing the wires and arcing when touching the primaries, luckily I got MSD wires, bend the boot and all is good now except for the cracked boot. Is it ok to drive around with cracked boot? Anyone know who sells a single MSD 8.5mm wire?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

no dont drive around with a cracked boot. that is dangerous, as it could cause it to fire at the wrong time and hurt your motor. the MSD wires do not require or need those sleeves you got on the wires now. call Mike (or email) at the WS6 store, he sold me just 1 wire before. great guy, great customer service
Old 02-28-2012, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright thanks for the reply I'll try to call mike tomorrow.