Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible vats key issue???

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible vats key issue???

Hi all this is my first post and i just bought my first camaro. I bought a stock 2000 ss camaro which i was super excited about but unfortunately after i got it i have had nothing but troubles. I have had the car for 3 weeks and already the power steering pump and high pressure hose going to power steering pump are leaking. And just the other day my car all together will not start now. I had taken the car out to get some gas in it brought it back to the house and went to start it up like a half hour later and it wouldn't crank over. I thought at first it might have been the altenator since the power steering pump was leaking and i was afraid it might have leaked onto it and burnt it up. I did notice however that when i go to start the vehicle the dash light "security" flashes and "service engine" is on solid. After reading about that on the board here it started to seem like i might have a problem with the vats key system but i just wanted to get some feedback on that to make sure i was heading in the right direction. I did try cleaning the key off with some rubbing alcohol to see if that would help but unfortunately it didn't. If you guys have any suggestions it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Mine did that once. the resistor in the key was messed up. Take your car to a GM dealer, they'll need proof of ownership and a license to make you a key, but they can get your keycode from the VIN and check the resistance in your column (this part is VERY important cause mine was 1 off from what the VIN suggested from age I guess). That'll fix the issue. Mine only did it occasionally, but I couldn't keep getting stuck because it takes it like 10 minutes before you can try the key again lol. pricewise.. last time I did this was ~ $25
Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Teching In

oh ok thanks i will give that a try cuz i only have one key now anyways so i couldn't test it with another one. i will give it a try and see what happens.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Now I do have some stupid after market automate alarm that was installed by previous owner. I do remember that when the alarm is goin off it won't let you start. Could the after market alarm possibly be the culprit. Tried new key and didn't work.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If u find out the resistance the chip is on ur key you can daisy chain some resistors that match and wire them in under the dash, for a permanent fix. Mine was doing this and since installing the resistors i have not had a problem. It sounds like the problem might be in the ignition and that will be an expensive fix. The resistor fix was about $.50. I would look for the write up for u but i am on my phone and the search doesnt work very well. It is a very simple procesure and the wires are very easy to find. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

I bought a replacement vats key off ebay, measured the right resistance and everything. The key starts the car fine, but the security light is on. That's the only symptom that something isn't right. Luckily it's the spare so I'm not that worried.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Teching In

yea i have heard of some other people on the boards here just bypassing the whole vat system with resistors but just wasn't sure how to do it and didn't wanna screw anything up (but guess i can't screw too much else up since the car isn't running now anyways lol). Yea i just have a feeling that i'm gonna rip out the after market security system and see if that is what's causing the issue and if it's not then i guess i will try and find out how to do the whole bypass procedure. thanks again for everyone's help. this has been a big headache for me especially just 3 weeks into having bought the vehicle.