Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max Cam lift for a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Max Cam lift for a daily driver?

Sorry to start yet another cam thread...but I'm looking for some opinions.

My current daily driver is an L33...stock compression, but with ported/flow benched heads w/918 springs and shortie headers with dual 2.5 exhaust w crossover. I just bought a Fast LSXR intake, and have a spare 90mm tb that I'm going to be installing as well.

Due to lifter issues, I'm going to be pulling the heads off and replacing the lifters soon....so I thought it would be a good time to replace the z06 camshaft with something different.

My concern is maximum lift vs/ reliability. I've read in some threads where people state that they only run a set of valve springs for roughly 20k miles...but these are guys that are running in excess of .600 lift.

My car sees roughly 30k miles/year...so swapping springs once/year is just not an option for me.

I'm wondering what would be the most amount of recommended lift and ramp rate for a daily driver....something that would last 50-70k miles without having to replace the springs.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions are welcome.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by salemetro
Sorry to start yet another cam thread...but I'm looking for some opinions.

My current daily driver is an L33...stock compression, but with ported/flow benched heads w/918 springs and shortie headers with dual 2.5 exhaust w crossover. I just bought a Fast LSXR intake, and have a spare 90mm tb that I'm going to be installing as well.

Due to lifter issues, I'm going to be pulling the heads off and replacing the lifters soon....so I thought it would be a good time to replace the z06 camshaft with something different.

My concern is maximum lift vs/ reliability. I've read in some threads where people state that they only run a set of valve springs for roughly 20k miles...but these are guys that are running in excess of .600 lift.

My car sees roughly 30k miles/year...so swapping springs once/year is just not an option for me.

I'm wondering what would be the most amount of recommended lift and ramp rate for a daily driver....something that would last 50-70k miles without having to replace the springs.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions are welcome.
Just out of curiousity, did you ever get your L33 on a dyno with this setup?

Quite honestly, it's probably the lobe profile that's really going to shorten the life of springs. Maybe I've dranken the purple koolaid, but it does seem that the EPS lobes are purposefully designed to be easier on the valvetrain. I would call him up and tell him your goals.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The flow data for most of the popular heads, including stock, CNC'd stock castings, and aftermarket castings, indicate diminishing gains after 0.550 lift. I think this supports the general view that 0.600 lift is high enough for most street applicatons.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mattster03
Just out of curiousity, did you ever get your L33 on a dyno with this setup?
No. Due to lifter issues, I've not yet thrown it on a dyno. Since I have to tear into the damned thing after just 3k miles, I thought that I might as well throw some more money at it and upgrade cam,injectors,and TB.

Maybe I've dranken the purple koolaid, but it does seem that the EPS lobes are purposefully designed to be easier on the valvetrain. I would call him up and tell him your goals.
I've heard that as well. Probably time to make a phone call.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Darkman
The flow data for most of the popular heads, including stock, CNC'd stock castings, and aftermarket castings, indicate diminishing gains after 0.550 lift. I think this supports the general view that 0.600 lift is high enough for most street applicatons.
Interesting. Thanks
Old 02-29-2012, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

What kind of lifter issues? The reason I'm so curious is b/c I'm working with a buddy on an 80K L33 pullout that we're putting into an RX7.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good info

Last edited by studderin; 02-29-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

What kind of lifter issues? The reason I'm so curious is b/c I'm working with a buddy on an 80K L33 pullout that we're putting into an RX7.
Here's the whole saga.... https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...lve-train.html

BTW....kick *** Rx7! I just might have to take a road trip to check it out one of these days!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If minimizing valve train wear is you top priority, the go with the Comp Cams XE lobes. They're even less aggressive than the EPS cam lobes, yeah they won't make the power of the EPS cam or other more aggressive lobes, but that's not the point in using them. I'd see about having someone spec a turbo grind with XE lobes.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
If minimizing valve train wear is you top priority, the go with the Comp Cams XE lobes. They're even less aggressive than the EPS cam lobes, yeah they won't make the power of the EPS cam or other more aggressive lobes, but that's not the point in using them. I'd see about having someone spec a turbo grind with XE lobes.
Thanks for your help

After speaking with Geoff @ EPS, I decided to order. We're changing out to dual springs and going with a lift right at .600. He ran a profile similar to this in one of his personal vehicles for 45k without changing springs, so it sounds like reliability is decent....plus, I'll have the added insurance of dual springs if something decides to go bad.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Visit AI's site - they have some cams designed for longer spring life, worth a quick read.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Advanced Induction has some of what they refer to as "High Mileage Grinds", aimed at people looking to get 50K+ miles from thier springs. The mileage you can get from a set of springs has far more to do with the shape of the lobes, than lift or duration. The higher the acceleration on the valvetrain, the more force is applied to the spring. A .500 lift cam with very agressive lobes to maximize the area under the curve, can wear your springs out faster than a 0.600 lift with lazy lobes, proivded your springs can easily handle the lift.

As well how you drive the vehicle makes a difference on springs. If your running up to 7k before shifting it on a regular basis those springs are really getting worked, and out of control valvtrain wears it out quickly. Another factor is what spring you are using, I'm not sure I would want to use a 918 for a moderatly aggressive stick, when wanting to maximize mileage. I don't want to get into a debate about which spring is the best, but I'm sure that if you do some research you will see some manufacturers and models are perfered over others. Personally, I would not run Chinese valve springs, and some of the major manufacturers have outsourced thier entry level springs to China.

To be honest for high mileage, you Z06 cam is not a bad choice, but does leave a little on the table.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ScottyBG

To be honest for high mileage, you Z06 cam is not a bad choice, but does leave a little on the table.
Kinda what I was thinking.....but after talking with Geoff@EPS, I feel much better with what will be going in. Out with the beehives, in with the doubles...and a cam that should have just a slightly aggressive lope at idle....and a bit more lift as well.

My new lifters shipped out today and I just picked up an LSXR 102 intake....but it'll be 3 weeks until the cam and new springs/retainers get here.

The only "plus" right now, is that the weather here is crap...so I don't feel like working in the shop right now.....but it'll all be over soon enough, I suppose.

Quick Reply: Max Cam lift for a daily driver?