Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

New to the firebird

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the firebird

I recently purchased a 97 formula ws6 64000 miles. I have heard that all firebirds have a noisy rear end... Is it normal to hear the rear end noise? It starts at 45mph and gradually increases. Is this the gears or rear end or is this normal? And when I get to 75mph it has a vibration.. Would this be tires or driveshaft or what do you think this could be
Old 02-29-2012, 05:43 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech! You'll find answers to your questions by using our Search function & by visiting the Gears & Axles forum here.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a little bit of chatter in my rear end when cornering, I was going to check the rear end fluid soon to see if it is low at all. I remember hearing though that these cars have noisy rears.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea and in 97 they weren't insulated like todays cars which means loud road noise
Old 03-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Most likely something is wrong. It sounds like you have something out of balance. could be anything from wheels, driveshaft, or even brake rotors/ drums. If you can, rotate your front & rear wheels, drive the car and see if that sound/ vibration changes. If nothing changes, then you know it's not the rims. (If it does, you'll likely notice your steering wheel will shake at speed) you'll have to take the driveshaft in to have that balanced/ checked. Also, don't overlook the brake parts, either. I have a friend who had a similar issue you describe and it turned out it was a brake drum that was out of balance. Took him a while to find it, too.

As for "are they supposed to make noises- I had a '95 Trans Am and it saw many a spirited driving days including triple digit speeds and it never made any driveline noise/ vibrations.

Quick Reply: New to the firebird