Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alright dammit..My duals are not loud enough..I need some input

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright dammit..My duals are not loud enough..I need some input

After they were installed under the axle it killed sooo much of the "loudness" duals have to offer. On a 0-55mph hard run I still love it. Where I don't like it at all is at idle, crusing through town, or coasting coming to a stop. You CANNOT tell I have duals. When warmed up, it's not much louder than my old flowmaster setup. Almost all my driving is in town and that's where I want to be heard, not down the back roads... I know if I were cammed it would be perfect but that's not happing for another 2 yrs (stall, tires, other **** next yr)

Here's my options: KEEP IN MIND I'll keep the pipes/tips ran under the axle for appearence purposes only. (TA) I can alway's hook them back up after my cam.
#1. Cut a 4" peice out behind the mufflers and re-weld the turndowns (oringinal tsp setup) if that's still not loud enough
#2 Keep the x and get rid of the mufflers, weld turndowns at the end of the x
#3 ditch the x and weld the mufflers to the collectors/headers with turndowns

I can do it in this order until I'm satisfied.. hopefully option 1 makes it happen. I never did get to hear them dumped, they were completely finished when I came back.

Honestly.. I wish it would've stayed as loud as open headers but with a good tone. Any input other options is much appreciated.

Last edited by justin hover; 02-29-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what mufflers do you have?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 208 Likes on 160 Posts

Delete the mufflers.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet thunders. It's not the mufflers, it's the fact that their ran out the back that really quieted it down. I really thought by reading a listenting to countless clips of tds they would've been a tap louder ran out the back.
I'm almost about to bite the bullet and get a cam before a friggin stall, which I didn't want to do, but if I'm not satisfied with the sound of my car, then I'm not happy driving it. I've heard cammed TD setups in person and that's the sound I want. If I can't get the stall though... I'm back to my options.
Like I said, when I drove it with open headers.. idle and wot was fking great, everything in between was kinda shitty though. That's why I wonder if I keep the x and ditch the mufflers. Kinda like open headers but with alittle more flow and tone with the x still on.
IDK
Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Why not just install electric cut outs? I like a loud car too, but on a road trip or long drive it gets old fast.. but hey maybe I'm just getting old?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Either put dumps off the mufflers or get a cam to make it louder. Cutouts would help too
Old 02-29-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spoolin_Notch
Why not just install electric cut outs? I like a loud car too, but on a road trip or long drive it gets old fast.. but hey maybe I'm just getting old?
I agree ^
Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

No road trips for my ride... Thought about cutouts, but the price is up their considering my setup is all clamped/slipfit, so removing one component at a time would be about the same sound as a cutout, and I can do alot of this myself. I'm just at a loss. I really wanted CAM loud without a cam. Closest to this is open headers, which has it's ups and downs. That's why I thought of just removing the mufflers, but keep the x on their...Dumped but without mufflers. That way it's not azzz obnoxious as just straight open headers.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Turn your hearing aids up a couple notches....
Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I have a custom Xpipe and dual SLP Loudmouth II mufflers. I had the exhaust shop weld on 3bolt flanges after the mufflers, and then ran pipe to the back with tips, that way I can lose the weight of the pipes and go loud when I want to remove them. I currently have the tailpipes off, for some extra loudness. But it seems every few months I want to change it up. I'm about to go get some dummy tips mounted to the bumper and some turndowns welded to a flange to bolt up to the mufflers. Also the pipes have been painted black so they are not as noticeable.

See the pipes and the flanges:

And no pipes:

Last edited by HoLLo; 02-29-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran true duals over the axle with bullets and it was LOUD. At 2k rpm, you couldn't hear a passenger.

I put in mufflers to dampen it a bit.

It's the mufflers. I'm actually going to a resonator/small chamber muffler this summer to get a cleaner sound.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah if i were you i would get a cutout, open headers is so loud that got old fast after 1 or 2 drives.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

may be its the location..you might not hear it loud but it is loud...id let someone drive it and see how loud it is before running wide open pipes..because that is somewhat insane ...id LOVE to have quiet duals!!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:58 AM
TECH Regular

+1 for everyone thats saying electric cutout... 2 of them right after the collector. If not that, dumped bullet mufflers after the collectors. Dynomax bullets or Flowtech purple hornies.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Keep the x pipe and add turndowns. Dump it before the axle.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
Keep the x pipe and add turndowns. Dump it before the axle.
This is the route I'm leaning towards if all else fails. I can alway's put the mufflers right back on if I don't like it.
And yes, maybe I do need someone else drive it around so I can hear it, I still don't think it'll be loud enough, but's it's worth a try. I'm trying to stay away from cutout's, for budget purposes, and I think just an x will sound alittle better. Plus I can do my 3 options in my garage on jack stands. I don't care to be loud here and there, It's only driven a few miles/week so I want kind of a permanent fix. And when it does get cammed guaranted I'd never open them.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

You could just wait till the cam goes in because it might get too loud otherwise. However if you like open headers that shouldn't be a problem. Not to hijack but how is that frost tune treating you?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I have a custom Xpipe and dual SLP Loudmouth II mufflers. I had the exhaust shop weld on 3bolt flanges after the mufflers, and then ran pipe to the back with tips, that way I can lose the weight of the pipes and go loud when I want to remove them. I currently have the tailpipes off, for some extra loudness. But it seems every few months I want to change it up. I'm about to go get some dummy tips mounted to the bumper and some turndowns welded to a flange to bolt up to the mufflers. Also the pipes have been painted black so they are not as noticeable.

See the pipes and the flanges:

And no pipes:
^^This. Exactly what I was planning to do (without the mufflers). On TA's, if the exhaust doesnt come all the way out the back thats why I had a hard time debating about going with TSP TD. I'm gonna get some dummy tips mounted so it doesnt look stupid out back and I get the performance and loudness I want. You want loud, get rid of the mufflers but keep them around just in case you change your mind after you get the cam.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have flanges as well but since I'm ran out the back I'll weld in another hanger to really hold the pipes/tips in place, cut the flanges off my mufflers and replace with turndowns.
(Oringinal tsp td setup.) If I'm still not happy, I'll remove the mufflers and weld turndowns at the exits of the x pipe. I'm sure with those options I'll eventually find a happy medium, them it can all go back into place after it's cammed if needed with ease.

As for frost..I sent my pcm out last Friday..Today is thrusday with no pcm, I've seen threads lately asking "wheres" frost..and no responses from him either. Haven't seen him post in awhile. Kinda strange..Maybe he's just busy. Or in jail..hahah
Old 03-01-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

It won't sound as loud in the car because the sond waves are not reverberating off the floorpan. I bet you have lost very little "real" volume. A cam moves more air in and out. You will not get that sound without it.

Quick Reply: Alright dammit..My duals are not loud enough..I need some input